genIII help

-

mcat

Reaction score
ok guys if you do not have an ABODY with a new hemi in it i am not interested in you opinions, i need cold hard facts. thanks
what exhaust manifolds will fit?
what oil pan will fit?
should i plan on using a motor plate in front to mount instead of motor mounts..or make mounts?
it will be 727 trans, manual brakes and steering.
i would like to use OEM parts wherever possible.
thanks for all you info

I would do motor mounts, not a plate personally. If I had it to do again I would do spool mounts... I have the earlier buscuit style now.

Gdemon has 5.7 jeep/car exhaust manifolds with the factory k, but you have to notch the passenger frame rail. I think most people use tti headers. You can use SRT8 jeep manifolds with an altercation front end, but I don't know about the factory k.

Those front ends are big money, but will save you a ton of work with fitment of EVERYTHING else. Even with man steering/brakes.

I have a Milodon pan, I think guys have been happy with Charlie's too. There are some that guys have had fitment issues with.

All this stuff has been covered and recovered, read up...

Street and Performance shorty headers or TTI headers, however with the TTI there is always some minor issues like the P.S pump etc.

should i plan on using a motor plate in front to mount instead of motor
mounts

I used the TTI adapters and biscuit mounts- I was unhappy with the angle these set the motor at (too high at the front)

It was a simple modification to get them to work - we just took .5" out of the drivers side bracket which lowered the front and also centered the motor better.

what oil pan will fit?

Sump - MIL31000, Pick up - MIL18331 Dipstick and Tube - MIL 22064 Oil plate Adapter - MIL 21566 Oil Pan bolts - MIL-85025 Oil Pick up support stud - 6506333-AA Oil Stud Nut - # 6502756 Bearing Cap Bolt - 06506272AA
I believe WeldTech and Charlies both make pans also...but they cost more.

I've put a 5.7 in a 70 Duster. I used a spool mount k frame, and redid the drivers side mount to make the AC compressor fit in the factory location. I'm using TTI spool mounts and headers, along with a 545RFE transmission. I would have liked to use manifolds, but didn't want to have to whack on the frame rail. Check my thread for pics of what I did to make my junk fit. Good luck. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=173963

I plan to leave the passenger side perch alone but cut the driverside off. Gonna make my own mounts for both sides. I have a /6 biscuit k member.

There's a bit of misleading info in this thread. Here's all the factory exhaust manifold options (only one works for sure):

Factory k member
5.7 LX car manifolds 03-08 years do not fit without modifying the frame rail. Gdemon runs these I believe.
5.7 LX car manifolds 09-current (eagle head) - don't fit on an a body (steering box interference). Also, they occupy the same space as the clutch linkage on a b body.
6.1 LX car manifolds do not fit
6.1 SRT8 jeep manifolds do not fit (steering box)
5.7 truck manifolds 03-08- one side should work, other side is aimed at the firewall
5.7 truck manifolds 09-current (eagle head). Probably similar to above, don't know.
5.7 jeep manifolds 03-08 - WORK with manual steering a body
5.7 jeep manifolds 09-current - dont know. I don't know if anyone has tried.
Aftermarket headers designed for anything other than an a body- plan on cutting and welding tubes.

Alterktion will open up your options a good bit. Jeep srt8 headers with a couple mods, etc. I'll let an alter k tion owners weigh in.

And here's my oil pan info:

I've got the milodon 31000 with a truck gasket windage tray and the milodon dipstick.

WARNING: the truck gasket does not line up correctly with the milodon Pan. I had a leak from the front pan corners, and had to drop the pan and use RTV. No leaks now.

How the gasket sits on the pan. Note the ridges that curve inward:
DDA408A7-2CFF-45E6-85A5-267DA31F448C-5253-000006EE4653E165_zpsdfaead95.jpg

In this pic, you can see where the 'ribs' in the gasket jog in, but the pan stays straight (at the corner). I added RTV through this area and a bolt hole further and it seals fine now.
080F1489-30A2-4BB9-84AE-3DD9B06C82C7-5253-000006EE5B01D6AD_zpsb6d9850e.jpg

What problems are people having with the milodon gasket and windage tray?

My idler arm zerk fitting just hits the pan. Left a small dent on the corner.

Further, I am pleased with the spool mounts. I don't think the biscuit mount guys are too happy. Here's a post of mine on the spool:

Joe-

I have spool mount TTI mounts - what in particular were you curious about fitment?

I've got ~2.5 degrees tail down (with keisler tko600)
I notched the passenger fender (would have fit without, but I wanted to be able to pull the valve covers)
Sits level side to side
Decent clearance for custom headers around my factory PS box
Still had to trim the outer shell from steering column
Oil pan clears no problem
Had to run TTI Oil block off plate
had to notch the passenger fender overhang near the alternator (LX alternator, don't have a jeep one to try)

Mine is a 67 Dart, manual brakes and steering, converted to spool mounts, with TTI headers. Dropped in pretty easy with good room around it. I've seen LX (car) factory manifolds used, but you have to notch the frame on the passenger side at least for sure (GDemon's build). I originally had what I believe was a Weldtech oil pan (all aluminum, bought off of Ebay), but I had issues with pinholes and cracks on the welds, so I ended up replacing it with a Milodon steel pan. Fits good with good clearance to steering linkage and K member.

Why not make some? I used polyloc biscuit mounts, custom brackets with a slant 6 k frame, had to shift the elongated hole on the p/side back a little to clear the oil filter but on the up side you can use standard filter location with out the need for blockoff plate or 45 deg adapter the filter can be removed through the opening in the frame.

Or you could potentially cut the /6 mounts and weld on standard V8 mounts (I think). The original K in my car was a 67 converted to spool mounts, but not in the best fashion. I wasn't convinced they were in the correct spot and TTI is very picky about having the engine exactly where it needs to be for headers to fit.

I have mine in the duster now. Spool mounts tti, 05 Magnum diver side manifold, 05 jeep GC pass manifold. No issues no cutting. 727 trans. Manual steering. Power brakes.

My Slant k has the pad on the pass side at the very rear. The driverside is the one that need to go.

Hi I'm a new member. Just wanted to ad a little info. I have always been a diehard MOPAR Man. I have a 1970 RT/SE 440 Challenger, had it since 1978 when I was 14. Also a 2005 Magnum RT with a hemi. thought they were great motors until this weekend. It started making engine noise on start up. pulled plugs and looked in the cyl. with my bore a scope and I'm I can see past my top ring and can even see the wrist pin. bought it brand new, still all stock, had the oil changed on time every time. 73400 miles and it not even a good core! I believe it lost a seat first with in less than a minute of run time since first noise ( up the driveway into the garage) and it is a boat anchor. will post pictures later. Just had to vent, hope it helps someone else.

Your post helps no one. There's no reason for it... Maybe if you started a new thread about it we could discuss your issue. I'm guessing you didn't prime the oil pump.

Anyway back to the original theme of this post.

Riddler

ok guys if you do not have an ABODY with a new hemi in it i am not interested in you opinions, i need cold hard facts. thanks
what exhaust manifolds will fit?
what oil pan will fit?
should i plan on using a motor plate in front to mount instead of motor mounts..or make mounts?
it will be 727 trans, manual brakes and steering.
i would like to use OEM parts wherever possible.
thanks for all you info

So mcat....happy with the advice we've provided?

What is going to be your course of action?

i will make my own motor mounts.and use a milodon pan, i will be using some stainless works block hugger headers. with a meg squirt...thats all i know for now, still trying to decide what i want to use for an intake. i dont like the looks of the truck intake.

What year engine? The 08 and down LX 5.7 intakes dont look to bad, alot better than the trucks. An 09+ Eagle car intake would be a good one too if you had Eagle or 6.1 heads. 6.1 intakes are sometimes found for around $450+shipping.

What year engine? The 08 and down LX 5.7 intakes dont look to bad, alot better than the trucks. An 09+ Eagle car intake would be a good one too if you had Eagle or 6.1 heads. 6.1 intakes are sometimes found for around $450+shipping.

Just an FYI we make adapters so you can use eagle and 6.1intakes on the earlier 5.7

-
Back