Getting a little “Moparish” in my garage

-

Myst69

Reaction score
Hello all, just wanted to throw this out there. My garage is getting pretty cramped with some of that “old iron” if you catch my meaning. I just acquired a 1968 273 from a friend to be used for parts on my 1969 cuda 340 so there is a possibility I’m gonna have a couple extra pieces for those who are interested. Things like the intake and exhaust manifolds. My project is moving forward slowly but surely :thumbsup:

Actually looking at the exhaust manifolds I believe they’re the same as the 340’s not sure if they were swapped or if that’s just the way they’re supposed to be. Ohh before I forget if my cuda was a factory 1969 340 car does that make it a formula s or am I mistaken?? I’m still learning about these older mopars sorry for the newb questions

9A58709C-872D-4B69-846F-E17A7FA9FE9F.jpeg

820B97BC-5D20-436E-B149-F1106C3FD295.jpeg

In 69 you could get a 340 without the S pkg, BUT you could not get an S pkg without 340 or 383, if that makes sense lol. Not so in 68, any 340 68 barracudas were S cars.
Actually looking at the exhaust manifolds I believe they’re the same as the 340’s not sure if they were swapped or if that’s just the way they’re supposed to be. Ohh before I forget if my cuda was a factory 1969 340 car does that make it a formula s or am I mistaken?? I’m still learning about these older mopars sorry for the newb questions

View attachment 1715781253

View attachment 1715781254

I believe the S was just a suspension/ brake/ badge package.
If I`m wrong I`ll be corrected in 3-2-1:)

View attachment 1715781253

View attachment 1715781254
The manifolds look much the same. Measurement of the outlet will distinguish the difference

The manifolds look much the same. Measurement of the outlet will distinguish the difference
The right side manifolds are definitely the early 340 on both engines and the left side on the 2 bbl engine is the early 340 as well.

I was lucky enough to have the data plate intact in the engine compartment when I purchased the cuda (roughly 2 months ago) need to do some research on that as well

So can I tell if the engine is the original 340 for this VIN based on the engine code (not casting) I am pretty curious but not to sure of the decoding process. DW340P is the first half which I will assume is location, engine size and premium fuel the rest is a jumble of numbers that are not similar to the actual VIN of the car at all??

MyMopar.com has a ton of information on codes, options, and electrical. Great reference site.

On pass side of engine just above oil pan you will see a flat machined pad with a vin. It will partially match the car vin.
E55 I believe is for engine size(340). Post pic of fendertag. Lotsa smart people here for decoding.

So can I tell if the engine is the original 340 for this VIN based on the engine code (not casting) I am pretty curious but not to sure of the decoding process. DW340P is the first half which I will assume is location, engine size and premium fuel the rest is a jumble of numbers that are not similar to the actual VIN of the car at all??

Per ragtops info, check the numbers on the block just above the oil pan on the passenger side. It'll have the VIN on it, too. If you can get the front of the block on the driver's side, just below the head, you'll get more of the engines origin. Numbers are everything on old small blocks. PM me if you need more assistance.

Per ragtops info, check the numbers on the block just above the oil pan on the passenger side. It'll have the VIN on it, too. If you can get the front of the block on the driver's side, just below the head, you'll get more of the engines origin. Numbers are everything on old small blocks. PM me if you need more assistance.
The number that is supposed to appear on the small machine surface is nonexistent on the engine for some strange reason so my only point of reference is the one located on the front of the engine near the head.

My next question I fabricated two brackets like the one pictured can I make these work with the two biscuit style mounts?

074A6E23-3417-4909-88C3-B9EBAA82388F.jpeg

8B7B78D3-FCF0-4169-A98D-7C62D75C47B1.jpeg

-
Back