Getting a title in BC

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Anyone from BC gotten a title for a vehicle before? I acquired a 1969 Fargo W100, which I'd like to get driving and restore, but it didn't have any paper work in the glove box, and I doubt the old woman I got it from will find it anywhere. I don't want to put any time/money into it until I have a title. So, I'm wondering how hard it is to get a new title for it? If anyone has done this, please let me know how.

E06C9F80-433D-4368-AFDE-97EB23514663-5228-0000056510549C68.jpg

If the little old lady was the last registered owner you are laughing, just take her to
ICBC insurance broker and $25 they print up new reggie for her and then she signs it and gives you a bill of sale with it. If you dont know the last registered owner then
you have to do what is called a "last resort" registration. ICBC broker will give you
the details , pain in the ***. You will have to hire a lawyer or notery public to contact ICBC to retrive name of last registered owner cause they wont give it to you. $50 to 100 for lawyer . Then you have to try and contact previous owner and prove that you did if you could not find him / her then back to notery public to swear out a statment of the attempt to contact owner with your proof - registered letters, news paper ads what ever you did in attemps to make contact, then back to ICBC with all
you paper work including statement from notery public, then for a small fee ICBC will print you up a regisration for your vehicle. That 3 inch bottom piece of a B.C. registrtion slip is worth so much time and is really priceless. Cheers and Good luck.
I really hope the old girl or her husband were the last registered owner or you can find them with out the lawyer and the "last resort" thing.

Hope it works out for you. Very cool truck. Thumbs up on the winch and push bar.
Had a similar 69 power wagon 20 years ago in blue. 440 and granny gear. Lots of cast iron in the drivetrains of those. Heaviest flywheel and bell housing I've ever seen on a 3/4 ton. Divorced transfer case also. Be nice if you can save it. Mine drove perfect till you got on pavement. I had to put mine down because of rust. Both body and frame got thin almost everywhere. Good luck. Looks like a lot of truck left from here.

Cool truck!

You could always send it to me in Saskatchewan. Pretty easy to get title on anything over 30 years old, even from out of province.

I spoke with an ICBC agent today who said if the old woman can contact her nephew, he just needs to go into an insurance broker and get a new registration under his name which is $18, which I would pay for of course. Then he would have to transfer the truck over to me. One concern I have is, what happens if he decides he wants the truck again? Do I have to give it up since it was his aunt who gave it to me?

If she can't get ahold of him, I'll have to do what Wheels spoke about.

Well, unfortunately and legally he owns the truck, it was never the little old ladies truck to give away. So do not spend any coin on it tell you talk to him. If he does want the truck back tell him he owes you 2500 bucks for storage. I would start by telling him the truth , that auntie gave you the truck cause she wanted it gone and offer him 50 bucks for the paper work and his trouble . Also explian to him that the truck needs a full on retoration that will cost 20,000 bucks , hopefully he has watched counting cars a few times and will believe you. Good luck.

Missing something here.

Did you establish that the nephew owned the truck? Or is this just a presumption? That ICBC title search is looking better.

If there are family issues in the way, best to back off.

Well, unfortunately and legally he owns the truck,.

This is not at all clear. Depends on who's name is on the title, whether the title is clear, and whether the nephew has legal power over the lady's finances and property.

Can you do a vin search at one of the local icbc stores and then proceed from there?

just hope it's in the system , thats the only way the last resort works , if the vehicle has never been in the system you could be screwed completely , one of our local guys built a duece from a couple of donor cars and the main part was never listed in the system in BC so ICBC has so far refused to give him a title in spite of all the tricks he's tried , also now they know about it so he can't even do the out of province paper shuffle . Hope it works out for you Mike .

Hey Mike, have you had any luck registering your truck? You may know I got a A100 last summer, and only have a bill of sale! Let us know how you make out. Wayne.

My father and I had this problem with a motorcycle. The motorcycle was not registered in BC nor in Alberta. So we had to fill out some forms and get a notary to stamp the paperwork on how we explained about buying the bike. It wasn't that much of a hassle. Actually the hassle came from no one in ICBC ever doing something like this before so we got ran around lots on wild goose chases until we finally met a single ICBC employee who knew exactly what to do. It was a piece of cake after that.

-
Back