Getting Closer TTI headers installed today

-

BubbaCuda

Reaction score
I was really sweating about installing the headers to find out they were not so bad l. It took about an hour to install the TTI headers. Lifted the motor about 1 1/4 inch on the driver side and dropped the the driver side in through the top. After we bolted that side down we then lift the passenger side up about an inch. put cardboard on the inner fender well and pushed the motor over until we were just touching the headers on the driver side wheel well. The passenger header slid in easily through the bottom..Here are some pictures after the install.

driversideheader.jpg

passengersideheader.jpg

bothsidesheader.jpg

Yeap that process looks familiar. LOL. Nice job.

Looks good! Are they touching the valve cover?

The Headers do not touch the valve covers. I thought I was going to have to trim the driver side valve cover a bit because the header touched during mock up. But with the Remflex gaskets they clear with no problem.
HKeller

The Headers do not touch the valve covers. I thought I was going to have to trim the driver side valve cover a bit because the header touched during mock up. But with the Remflex gaskets they clear with no problem.
HKeller

Good call on the gaskets! The extra thickness came to the rescue. Glad to hear it worked out.

Looking good. looks like there won't be much clearance for the steering column. I take it you have to have manual steering to fit these, right? I haven't seen anything other than Spitfires or fenderwell headers on early a bodies.

told you they werent that bad, haha. Cant wait to hear this puppy run

i am not happy with my tti's they fit fine, but the ports dont match up well at all. i have eddies as well.

the first two pics are from head side. the third is from the header side you can see the smaller port on the header side.

these are the supplied gaskets and unless you port your headers out you will get restriction from the header, but i have seen in some situations you may need to add more headder to port match. anybody else.

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

sorry didnt realize this was a early a body thread mines a 71.

I was really sweating about installing the headers to find out they were not so bad l. It took about an hour to install the TTI headers. Lifted the motor about 1 1/4 inch on the driver side and dropped the the driver side in through the top. After we bolted that side down we then lift the passenger side up about an inch. put cardboard on the inner fender well and pushed the motor over until we were just touching the headers on the driver side wheel well. The passenger header slid in easily through the bottom..Here are some pictures after the install.

Man, those headers look familier. I'm glad they worked out for you. You may want to talk with Dave on the steering coupler. One of the tubes runs real close to the coupler. He used a coupler-joint on his and had to machine it down to get it to fit without being close to the tube.

Can you tell me what starter you are using?

I don't know if you can, but could you get a picture of the clearence.

TIA

yeah the steering couple is more of a problem with the power steering because the coupler tucks up closer to the headers tubes and sorta cups it. The heat will fry an original steering pot coupler. I would change to a universal joint anyways. The mopar OEM coupler sucks.

I second the Remflex. I trimmed my cover before I knew about Remflex gaskets.

How was your torsion bar clearances? Mine were a biotch. I had to do a bit of shimming. Probably related to the Schumaker mounts and K-frame tolerances.

There are a lot of things that make this a PITA but sounds like your install went very smooth.

yeah the steering couple is more of a problem with the power steering because the coupler tucks up closer to the headers tubes and sorta cups it. The heat will fry an original steering pot coupler. I would change to a universal joint anyways. The mopar OEM coupler sucks.

I second the Remflex. I trimmed my cover before I knew about Remflex gaskets.

How was your torsion bar clearances? Mine were a biotch. I had to do a bit of shimming. Probably related to the Schumaker mounts and K-frame tolerances.

There are a lot of things that make this a PITA but sounds like your install went very smooth.

Yeah, I sold him my TTI's that I had up for sale. I met him on my way down to FallFling in October. I also threw in the starter as part of the deal. He has the instructions for the header install. We also discussed some of the issues I had with the headers but my issues were related to running a 4 speed in my Dart. He's running an automatic. if memory serves me right we did talk about using a universal joint such as the one Flamming River sells.

Yeah, I sold him my TTI's that I had up for sale. I met him on my way down to FallFling in October. I also threw in the starter as part of the deal. He has the instructions for the header install. We also discussed some of the issues I had with the headers but my issues were related to running a 4 speed in my Dart. He's running an automatic. if memory serves me right we did talk about using a universal joint such as the one Flamming River sells.
Dart4forte

The headers went in pretty smoothly. I have not yet picked up the new steering coupler. I was planning on ordering one this week. I used the Krylon high heat aluminum radiator paint recommended by TTI to cover the scratches. It matched perfect, But has not been tested under run conditions.
HKeller

Glad to see you got 'em in. i too have a set on my '64 dart and would also recommend running the flaming river joint and coupler. much better setup. you can run the standard mini starter like on the dakotas for the guys that are wondering as long as it is with a 904. i have one on mine, its close but i just put a starter blanket to protect from the heat. have you installed the oil filter adapter yet?

Glad to see you got 'em in. i too have a set on my '64 dart and would also recommend running the flaming river joint and coupler. much better setup. you can run the standard mini starter like on the dakotas for the guys that are wondering as long as it is with a 904. i have one on mine, its close but i just put a starter blanket to protect from the heat. have you installed the oil filter adapter yet?

I have the mini power master starter already that i bought from Dart4forte with the headers. I have the oil filter adapter that i planned to install this weekend. Do you have the part number for the flaming river coupler you used.
HKeller

i had a power setup that i converted to manual so i used number FR1505M but if you already have a manual column it is FR1506M. i didnt really like the idea of just a roll pin holding it together so i also added a couple small welds around it. maybe not necessary but makes me feel alot better.

-
Back