Getting PST polygraphite bushings to fit in sway bar brackets?

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
Before I posted this problem I checked with the how to section and looked up any info on the site dealing with installation of sway bar bushings. What I found was that any way you slice it replacing rubber oem bushings with polygraphite PST sway bar bushings is a royal pain in the ***. I’m finding this out firsthand. I was able to get the old rock hard rubber bushings out with a small chisel and hammer no biggie. I saw that some members have had success greasing or lubing the hell out of the bushing and the inside of the bracket then forcing the bushing in. Up front I should say that you have to slide the bushing into the bracket after the bracket is on the bar. The reason is that when the busing is inside the bracket there isn’t enough area for the bushing to spread enough to slide over the round sway bar end. The issue I’m having is two fold. First, how in the hell lubed up or not can you get the bushing pressed into the bracket on the bar? Seems impossible. Second, is it possible to boil the bushing to make it pliable enough to pop in? I though a petroleum based grease shouldn’t be used on a polygraphite bushing it could compromise it? What about dish soap or silicone lubricant? Maybe I should take it to a shop with a press and pay to have it done rather than knocking myself out? Any suggestions?
Carl

3DDAEF84-76DD-4787-B1C1-465CB155FC97.jpeg

Last edited:
When installing the bushing in the bracket make sure the bushing is over the small diameter near the eye on the bar. Best way is to use dawn dish detergent generously on both the bushing and the bracket then use channel locks and vise grips to force the bushing in the bracket. Here’s a link with a video of how it’s done

Last edited:
Put the bushing about 1" up at the small diameter section. Make sure the brackets are oriented correctly. A pair of channel locks can squeeze the new bushings in.

Open the bracket, put the bushing in, weld the bracket closed again.

Well after about 2 hrs screwing with my front sway bar brackets trying to get the polygraphite bushing in the bushing is now destroyed. The issue seems to be as soon as I push in one part of the bushing like a corner for example it exaggerates the overhang around the remaining edge not inside the bracket and it is impossible to get it to push in. With tons of soap or not. I’m so frustrated and pissed off. Before I make my next step I need help from the forum. First cudascott is that you in the video you sent me? Is that an OEM rubber bushing or poly Graphite? If so you must have some magic behind you because I tried every way possible to get the bushing to go in. I even got feed up and pulled the bracket off lined up the bushing and bracket in the vise and attempted to push it in that way just to see if it would go. All it did was tear up the bushing on the raised edges. I dumped tons of dish soap all over the bushing and the bracket. What a pain in the *** this is. Maybe I should try OEM rubber bushings and call it a day. Does anyone know if they go in easier. I’m also thinking about reordering some polygraphite ones and maybe shaving a little off the bushing to get it to go in. I don’t know if this can be accomplished without it flopping around in the bracket. Redfish I’m seriously thinking about cutting the bracket inserting the bushing then having someone weld it back up. I’m just worried about melting the bushing. Does anyone know if I can buy an aftermarket from sway bar with different bushings and brackets? Something that would bolt up to the factory mounting holes and line up with the end links? I don’t know what to do? I’ve never had something this difficult? What a **** show!

Take a deep breath. Did you have a pair of channel locks in each hand? Have to have the bushing at the small spot and squeeze in two places at once - a pair in each hand. Or what RedFish said, if you have a welder and some clamps handy.

Demonic thanks I needed that. I was so frustrated and pissed before. I’m not going to let this beat me. I didn’t have two pair of quality channel locks. I had 1 long nose vice grip but a smaller version so I couldn’t get a strong squeeze and 1 pair of decent channel locks. I’ll start by getting another good pair of channel locks.

I have to think the bushing in the video above are OEM rubber. this modern material is a lot harder. For what its worth, the sway bar bushing for my camry are a very hard "plastic like" material too. That bushing is split in center of its flat side so it easy to place on the bar. The U shaped portion of the bracket has bolt ears on it, like a 2 hole pipe strap. My point is this vintage bracket wasn't designed for the bushing you have.
At the same time is was pretty common back in the day to open and weld close this bracket when replacing with the OEM rubber. Its a 1st round knock out punch versus the multi-round battle. Its your fight, or paycheck if you work in a service garage.

i always slice the bushings to get them over the bar ends. not worth the fight

nope not me in the video. Like Redfish recommended if you have a wire
welder handy i would cut one side of the strap loose on the brackets and with the bushing on the bar slip the brackets over them. clamp and weld the strap.

-
Back