Gi'me a brake! front drum question

-

Flatlander

Reaction score
OK, I followed the tips on this board to bleed my brakes. I had my son work the pedal while I worked the bleeding valve. The rear drums bled fine but having problems with both front brakes. No matter how much we tried to bleed them, I could get no fluid, even with a new master cylinder(it was bench bled). I even tried a brake bleeder but all it pulled on the brakes was a vacuum. Manual brakes. Can someone point me in the right direction?

tanks.

Your distribution block could be bad. There could be a blockage in the front lines or both front hoses could be bad and collasped inside.

I don`t know about drum brakes but on disc brakes sometimes the bleeders themselves can get clogged up. Try giving them a good cleaning and blowing them out with air. I`d remove a bleeder valve one at a time and see if fluid will come out with gravity, if not give a little push on the pedal to see if fluid comes out. Start at the bleeder and work your way back to the master cylinder, systematically assuring that you have fluid flow. HTH.

I agree with checking the front rubber hoses. These hoses are know to collapse on the inside, sometimes sealing the inner rubber core shut blocking all fluid. A vacuum can suck the hoses shut also. I know it is a risk, but if you can crack a metal line loose before the hoses, either at the proportioning valve, or at the hose connection, and see if you can eliminate the hoses as the culprit. Good luck. Todd

Is there some reason you did the backs first? Probably isn't the main problem but rule of thumb when bleeding brakes is to start with the brake closest to the master cylinder and work your way back. I agree with the others as to possibilities for cause to why your unable to get fluid from the fronts.

Kraby, if you're correct, I just learned something new. :) I always thought you started bleeding at the wheel cylinder farthest from the master, then worked progressively toward the master cylinder.

Iv'e always went right rear then left rear. Then right front then left front. As I have no problem buying the big bottle of fluid. Plus I tend to pull the bleeder all the way out before starting on whichever corner I'm working on first, and putting my finger over to help when the pedal is released, till I get clear fluid.

Actually I wasn't "all there" when I made that reply. Without getting into details on my current health, basicly I will say I wasn't thinking clearly. You guys are correct, start at the wheel farthest from the master and work in. My bad guys. On the upside, I am feeling much better today :happy4:

I would start at the farthest one too, just as you did, then work my way back. I believe the junction block, proportioning valve or hoses all can be the problem. Looks like you've got more work ahead. Good luck.

My duster sat for 20 years before i got it. I couldn't get fluid to the back brakes. Turns out it was the combination valve. I pulled out the valve insides and gave them a good cleaning and voila! fluid in the back. It unscrews from the bottom. A spring comes out with it. Worked for me.

don

Thanks for all the advice. I pulled the drums and went ahead and ordered new shoes and wheel cylinders, it's needing them. The rubber hoses should be in today. A local mechanic had the same thing to say about the hoses collapsing, I hope that's the case. I'm going to make sure the car has good brakes before it ever sees the road.

Well the front hoses had collapsed but I have since rectified the problem with new hoses, plus cylinders and shoes. Front brakes now work. Bought new shoes and cylinders for the rears and they go on this week. Next will be shocks, muff, tires and then out for a nice cruse before it gets cold.

-
Back