Glass Packs

-
When I first bought my ‘73 Cuda, those round Thrush mufflers were the only sound deadener on the exhaust system placed at the rear of the car at the rear valance exit.
View attachment 1715818085
Those things were loud and cheap. Wesold a lot of Walker Corvair Turbo mufflers. #21348 The original turbo muffler. Short, oval, quiet, and not very restrictive.

Who was Oivy?
He was the owner. Irv Uze. He and his brother and sister owned 3 stores and a wholesale warehouse. They were from out east so Irv was pronounced Oivy. Lol. Great people. Taught me a lot about buisness.

I've got a set I run on my sbf, the car is a high school throw back except with power. Lol
Header mufflers with turndowns, it's loud and rowdy. I think glasspacks with a full exhaust sound like a farm truck, a cackle fest.

I agree to that. Maybe some folks like " Ground Pounding Sound"? Possibly some folks have a limited cash flow, and just wanna close up a chapter of their build? That being said, it's nice to hear your mill, when ya get older... instead of the Much-loved sound of a Mopar THUMPING! There are better performers, that allow you to " hear" your engine, these days...

I'll tell you this, on my 340 I run Doug's headers to 300 Cell metal cats to Dynomax Super Turbos out to stock tips all on a dual 2-1/2" dual exhaust and its borderline too loud in the car with the windows up and the 2k resonance (drone) is murder. I run a full interior too. I have a set of resonators to put on this winter if I can.

To me glass packs would be a 1/2 step away from running nothing unless they were 10' long. Do a utube search, while not 100% accurate it will give you a idea.

Last edited:
You will not like "Cherry Bombs". Loud, droney, popping, raspy sound. If you really want it loud, deep, and smooth-sounding at the same time? Get these Borla Pro-XS mufflers. Put them on my Dart and it sounds great (to me anyway).
View attachment 1715818073

I've considered these over the Super Turbo's I have now. Did you use anything else prior to these to compare them too?

When I first set up my 64 Barracuda in the early 70's I put the 65 Commando system in from Maremont. 2 1/2 straight thru muffler and 2 1/4 straight thru resonator. Great sounding exhaust system that was quiet enough for a daily driver, cross country trips, and would sound like NASCAR when wide open.
I took the resonator off once, took a short drive, and put it right back on. Glass packs are not the same, I always thought Cherry Bombs were the best. I hated Thrush glass packs.

I run Borla XR-1 mufflers, essentially expensive glasspacks. THey work well and are surprisingly not crazy loud unless you're at WOT.

I put a pair of Summit "turbo" mufflers on my 3" x-pipe system, also a pair of 3" glasspacks in the rear. Still too loud... I must be too old :rolleyes:

While expensive, a set of hooker Aero Chamber mufflers with a set of medium length (12 inch case) Dyno-Max Race bullets has a good tone. Still too loud for a lot of people, though.

I put a pair of Cherry Bombs on my 56 Plymouth, powered by a stock 277 poly, factory four barrel intake (with 500 Edelbrock replacing the original WCFB) and factory 2 inch dual exhaust. Surprisingly to me, it's not very loud, just has a deeper, healthier tone than the asthmatic sounding stock mufflers. Now, when you rev it while in neutral it does have that glass pack crackle on overrun. On this car, I like that.

Of course, that little 277 doesn't have much power and it only has 2 inch pipes. Cherry bombs are perfect for this car, but they don't flow as well as the Sonic Super Turbos I run on my more powerful stuff, and I'm not sure how noisy they would be with more horsepower.

Back in the day I ran Thrush glass packs with no tailpipes behind the 340 in my 65 Barracuda. They were LOUD, but when I was young I liked loud. Today I prefer a little quieter, although the Sonics aren't exactly super quiet.

WoW, now that got a lot of attention.
I've not been to a muffler shop in 40 years
much has changed since then.. I'm just not
looking to spend $$$ of course I'm doing
the pipes myself, so the off set for the
muffler is not bad...
Ca has a max DB of 90 decimals
so in some cases you don't even need a
muffer.
But I'm ready to sell this 74 and just need
something
I've got about 2 weeks on another project
floor pan for my wagon.. then
I'll follow up on the 74 exhaust..
Best
take it easy

I've considered these over the Super Turbo's I have now. Did you use anything else prior to these to compare them too?
Some kind of Dynomax oval mufflers (came on the car). Then tried Smithy's glasspacks, they were nasty. Worst sound ever. Finally settled on the Borlas. They are almost straight-thru, but much more mellow than those glasspacks. Still a bit loud though. Not sure if I'd want to take any real long trips with them!

My Gibson Performance stainless cat-back dual split for my 360 Ram sounds great. 1,000 mile round trip to NJ and no drone, but when you accelerate ,what a sweet sound and I wish I knew what muffler it has. This is the only info

• Muffler Description: Baffled & Chambered Design, No internal Packing, Minimal Interior Drone, Aggressive Sound
  • Muffler Dimension: 7 in. Round; 3 in. Center Inlet; 2.50in. Dual Outlet; L-24 in.

Buddy had Cherry bomb 'truck muffs' (glasspacks) right off the headers of his Cleveland under a 71 Mustang. They have a 3-4 bolt flange that bolted right up wo the collector. about 30 inches long total and then nothing....loud as F. Could hear him getting on it from a block away. They were not terrible on the road, just very 'droney' and it got to you or you just blocked it out Depending on how long you were riding in it. I have an old pair of 3" Spintechs that look just like shoe boxes with spiral weld marks. Supposed to 'extinguish the sound waves' or some BS. All I know is they seem to work and they were $20 a piece used at a swap meet.

WoW, now that got a lot of attention.
I've not been to a muffler shop in 40 years
much has changed since then.. I'm just not
looking to spend $$$ of course I'm doing
the pipes myself, so the off set for the
muffler is not bad...
Ca has a max DB of 90 decimals
so in some cases you don't even need a
muffer.
But I'm ready to sell this 74 and just need
something
I've got about 2 weeks on another project
floor pan for my wagon.. then
I'll follow up on the 74 exhaust..
Best
take it easy
If budget is an overriding concern, and it sounds like it is, I would use a pair of summit welded turbos, a few feet of straight pipe in front, and turndowns after.
I would also consider Jones exhaust, stainless at a good price.
I have used, and liked, hooker aero's, but they now cost double what i paid for them.
I am NOT a fan of any of the race bullet/thrush can/cherrybomb style of glass pack. .

Last edited:
So I'm pretty much decided on
Flowmaster Flow FX #71225 2.5" in/out
off set

Budget is always a concern..
these are toys, my house is more important and still need to do the roof..
yes I do it myself...

I hear ya there... i ended up getting Flowmaster KOs. For 40 bucks each... made in the SAME factory as Flowmaster, with the same part #, I'll let ya guess where Holley has that factory...

thanks for that info... "really"!!!! damn SOB's

Just checked at lest some of the FM are chinese..
so there out....

I worked for a glass pack manufacturer in the early 70's in So. Cal. Bluetone was the name of the muffler. They mere painted a metallic blue and we sold them to most west coast and Arizona muffler shops. Myself and 3 other guys made 1000 to 1500 a day depending on size.
They cost about $1.50 each to make. Wholesaled for $5.00 and retailed for $10-15.
I also did the installs and dual exhaust conversions. If you want quiet, install as far to the back of the car as possible. Install the longest mufflers and the largest outer diameter ones you can find (more packing inside).
We sold from 10" L X 2 1/2" D to 36" L X 3 1/2" D mufflers ,the long ones were quiet just like a standard muffler until the packing eventually wore out. The 10" Sounded like a trumpet.

I've run glass packs on several of my vehicles. I like the way they sound especially when they are new. And I go with the longest ones I can
Once they start to blow out they do get a little obnoxious.
I had an 89 diplomat once, the stock pursuit model that came with the 4bbl. I took it to midas and asked them to put new exhaust on it nose to tail (I had put headers on the 318) and they ran 2-1/2 true duals with some kind of "muffler shop special" turbos. And went all the way to the back bumper. That was the loudest thing I ever had that the exhaust hadn't busted and fallen off. Dead stock motor. I was always gonna change the mufflers but wound up selling the car 1st for other reasons. I've had at least 4-5 vehicles that I ran cherry bombs on that were quieter.

-
Back