GM Alternators

-
Performance Distributors.
The HEI comment was tongue-in-check since many people upgraded to an HEI ignition. Cheapest and simplest is the 8-pin module used in the 1985-95 "small cap" GM V-8 distributors with its coil and connecting cable. A Mopar e-distributor can trigger it (many posts). Another advantage is that some aftermarket EFI kits can adjust spark timing thru it. If an old points distributor, simplest is the Ningbo "ready to run" distributor (~$60) and e-core coil ($30) which is drop-in for a small-block or big-block (none for slant). There are also custom HEI distributors for much more (>$300).

Glad you have had better luck.

Additionally before I bought the car the alternator had melted the dash harness due to being stuck on full field

My friend has a 1971 Demon and the alternator that was with the car failed and the replacement also failed within a year. Now it's at a 12SI delco like mine for 5 years with no issues once again.

I do actually care about it working at red lights, it should at least maintain 12.8V -> same as a fully charged battery with the headlights and wipers on...and in my case the EFI fuel pump and the fans. Anything worse is not great. When you want to go someplace with traffic at night its needed. The battery should only get drawn from for miliseconds during transient and also during starting and that's it. Its not an original car any other way so I use things that work. Unlike many of the other things it was also really inexpensive.

Like I said this is a 78 amp alternator, but it can pretty easily put out 50A at idle which is vastly better for the load needed.

I think you misunderstood me .
My point was for the average criteria and age of the vehicle, they (all breeds) barely charged at idle, more often not.
The equipment itself was better quality, and life expectancies and a lotta that stuff is fine today.
Does some old stuff fail, certainly, does new stuff fail, sure.
You changed the goal posts, thus "your" criteria changed.
The average dude is fine as is, not to your criteria.

I am not sure when hanged over to alternator or maybe I am thinking of my 64 Comet with the generator.
I think that back in the day Mopar was the first car maker to switch to alternators instead of generators.

And when most of the cars that we who come here were made the demand on an alternator was so much less than newer vehicles.
If I want a heavier alternator the newer "standard Mopar" alternators got 78a out of the same size package as some of the older ones that only produced 30-some amps.
If that ain't enough I'll have to go in the attic and grab one of my 100a versions such as what was stock on my cordoba I used to have and my fury that I still do have. I'll use up what I have here for $0 outlay before I go looking for something else
I have at least 1 set ( maybe 2, I'll have to dig in my pile) of stock small block 100a alternator brackets too.so I'm set.

And when most of the cars that we who come here were made the demand on an alternator was so much less than newer vehicles.
If I want a heavier alternator the newer "standard Mopar" alternators got 78a out of the same size package as some of the older ones that only produced 30-some amps.
If that ain't enough I'll have to go in the attic and grab one of my 100a versions such as what was stock on my cordoba I used to have and my fury that I still do have. I'll use up what I have here for $0 outlay before I go looking for something else
I have at least 1 set ( maybe 2, I'll have to dig in my pile) of stock small block 100a alternator brackets too.so I'm set.
Those Leece-Neville alternators from cop and fleet cars were monsters, but darn near indestructible.

I use a one wire 6 volt on my ole 1945 John Deere and got rid of the cut out and all that old wiring it has worked great and no headaches.

Sounds like you need this . . Mopar

IMG_20240114_141231.jpg

the 60 amp kubota mini digger/plant alternator (gets you the correct style pulley) works nice as well Denso MRE6647 alternator

and if you buy it from somewhere who doesn't know its a mopar "upgrade" not too expensive

-
Back