GM Alternators

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I was on Facebook checking out some mopars and I noticed that a couple had gm alternators, what's up with that?

Mopar used GM style alternators in the late 70s and 80s. They're still technically not GM, they just have the GM style bolt holes. Here's a link showing the different types found in FMJ Bodies: Alternators

Dan, it is an internal voltage regulator one wire alternator. I used one other day on my 66 Ford Fairlane. They can be had to fit all makes.

That's what is on mine!! Works great!!

20230420_193935.jpg

GM one wire alternators are a simple solution to charging and regulator problems that some can’t, or don’t want to deal with.
Also, as already mentioned they are available anywhere.

All of the above is the correct answer. 100 amps, one wire hookup, cheap, thats what I have on my bracket car. Originality? Who cares? Function!!
And since my latest project, a 66 Ford Fairlane came with a generator! I stepped way up and made life simplier with a Ford one wire internal VR alternator! OK, so I still run points!!!! :BangHead: :thumbsup:

Mopar used GM style alternators in the late 70s and 80s. They're still technically not GM, they just have the GM style bolt holes. Here's a link showing the different types found in FMJ Bodies: Alternators
The physical appearance looks like a regular gm alternator, I didn't think about the one wire hook up

Looks so Chevy- ish.
That's okay, my whole engine compartment looks chevy-ish. Previous owner painted it black.
Last time I had the engine out, I was to concerned about getting it back in to worry about what color the engine compartment was (originally white
[Ugh!], should be blue now).

The only issue with them, is if the most fragile piece of the charging system is inside the alt, (the hottest, shakiest/nastiest location) and it fails, insteada just undoing 2 wires, 2screws and replacing the $15 reg on the firewall, - you'll have to remove alt to replace the ($$ ?) reg that's inside, - if you have the tools and knowledge, if not, you gotta take it somewhere to get it repaired which won't happen right away .
You know it'll fail the nite before/day of an event, so needing it now, means a whole new big $$$ alternator R&R, steada the regulator on the firewall.
jmo

Last edited:
I'll stick with the mopar alt. mainly cause of the look of it a few more wires don't bother me.

I'll stick with the mopar alt. mainly cause of the look of it a few more wires don't bother me.
Actually, it doesn't--or didn't. The original Delco integrals back in the day were 3 wire, just like Mopar.

And I'll poke in my usual warning:

DO NOT stick a huge, great big, not to mention quite large "one wire" on there without properly sizing the charge wire, and that means either upgrading or bypassing the ammeter circuit.

-
Back