GM HEI conversion questions

-
I put a GM "8-pin HEI" in my 64 Valiant. It has sealed connectors and cable to the GM E-core coil ("external coil"), so doesn't need a box. I mounted on an old CPU heat sink. Cost ~$15 at PickNPull. You find in any GM V-8 w/ TBI (80-90's trucks, inside distributor). I bought a new spare module for $20, buy you need junkyard first for the cables. I also grabbed the knock sensor and module to later use the 8-pin's spark control input (optional, Holley Commander 950 interfaces). I haven't run the engine yet since painting, brakes, suspension, ... but will probably try a 0.060" spark gap and lean the carb for better mileage.

Hey 67dart273
could you give details on building your emergency kit

It's just like the diagram I posted. Just mount the HEI in the bottom of the box. This is a box I "had" so I no longer know where I got it, but Radio Shack used to / still may, and places like Digikey, Mouser Electronics. Not critical.

There's an "tit" on the bottom of the module you must either break off, or drill a clearance hole so it fits flat. Mount with simple machine screws and nuts, and use the heat sink thermal grease supplied with the HEI

Then just wire the distributor plug to the two indicated terminals. Don't switch the wires. You can get a plug by buying a 2 terminal "trailer connector" at any parts store. I happened to have an old harness

Then just hook the other two HEI terminals to the coil.

Hook one of the ground/ HEI mounting screws to your ground clip (mine is green)

Branch off the coil+ / HEI connection to your battery clip (mine is yellow, 'er what I "had")

So all you do to use it is hook it to the distributor, the coil wire, and the ground and battery clips. Obviously, you can also carry a spare distributor along as well. I mostly threw this together because I ended up wanting to test fire two used engines. One didn't even have exhaust manifolds. The neighbors think I'm nuts

zu5qn8.jpg

So it's not OK to use the hated smelly GM components but it IS OK to use MSD? By the way, I have nowhere NEAR 200 bucks into my ignition

But if that's what you want to do, fine. Just don't try and convince me that it's "better" when I don't need "better."

Oh yes, I wish my ignition was "better" on the premise that i have to build, assemble, and carry "emergency kits" of backup pieces parts from junkyards lol

you fellas can run what you want. I was just pointing out an other option. I've had as many bad issues with chrysler ignition, and GM hei than you guys have had good. half a dozen blown 4 pins on a chevy truck, a few pickup coils in the same. 2 bad mopar ECU's and a bad one out of the box .

again i posted no offense to anyone that uses either. I just find that stuff suits me best in the bottom of a trash can for any street driven or bracket car i've had.

good luck either way with whatever works for you. it's all about getting the car reliable and on the road or down the track. If you can get 100,000 miles out of some bailing twine and paper clips then thats awesome lol, but if i can't trust it at 7000 rpm, 150 MPH, at the ten grand nationals, it's not much use to me.

-
Back