GM to spend $1 billion of its bailout money to redesign its large trucks

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I was just wondering what you thought about GM's announcement today. It seems really stupid to me. They nearly went bankrupt, and had to be bailed out, because they had no small cars to sell. But rather than developing small cars, they're going to invest a big chunk of the money in big vehicles again.

They think the Chevy Aveo is going to rescue them? It's made by Daewoo, it's not a GM design, it's ugly as sin, and it has received rather lukewarm reviews. The Volt hasn't yet appeared, and nobody knows if or when it really will, or if it will be a successful design when it does.

Sounds to me like GM is just going to keep on making the same old mistakes over and over. Your tax dollars at work!

I'm impressed by Ford. They didn't take any bailout money, their cars are selling pretty well, they're making a profit and their stock price is up. But most importantly, their new products look really nice to me. I think they've learned from their mistakes, and really seem to have their act together.

I'd like to have your opinions.

yep, and we will probably get screwed into bailing them out again. its not like i was going to buy a gm before. but i really wont buy one now. i dont see why we bailed them out anyway. when they are having their vehicles built in other countries. its not helping me to bail out gm. and dont get me started on the banks. when i wasnt working the bank wouldnt help me out with my house payment. so they can use that bailout money to pay off my loan because i stopped making payments in septamber. wheres my bailout? ok im done. hey i think i have seen your car in person. was it at the capital city mopar show last year?

They are in chapter 11 bankruptcy. They are no longer referred to in the market place as GM. They go by the name of Motors Liquidations Company. They are no longer traded on the big board. They are traded on the pink sheet or as a penny stock. The first of this month their stock was at $.47 and last trade yesterday was at $.74. That's a good gain in anyones book. Yes even though they are in bankruptsey their stock can still be bought and sold and is being done so in large volumns as we speak. GM isn't going away and IMO it is a great time to cost average and hedge on your current investment or buy now and take a good gain in as little as a month or so. I'm not a broker but i do own some of the stuff and i did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.
Small Block

I was just wondering what you thought about GM's announcement today. It seems really stupid to me. They nearly went bankrupt, and had to be bailed out, because they had no small cars to sell. But rather than developing small cars, they're going to invest a big chunk of the money in big vehicles again.

They think the Chevy Aveo is going to rescue them? It's made by Daewoo, it's not a GM design, it's ugly as sin, and it has received rather lukewarm reviews. The Volt hasn't yet appeared, and nobody knows if or when it really will, or if it will be a successful design when it does.

Sounds to me like GM is just going to keep on making the same old mistakes over and over. Your tax dollars at work!

I'm impressed by Ford. They didn't take any bailout money, their cars are selling pretty well, they're making a profit and their stock price is up. But most importantly, their new products look really nice to me. I think they've learned from their mistakes, and really seem to have their act together.

I'm glad that they are responding to the customer. They will recover now that they are being forced to change their management culture. As soon as the newly bodied Suburban gets introduced, I will be a serious shopper. My old one has almost 300,000 on it and is pretty tired. And no, I ain't buying any jap crap.

My wife has a 2009 Buick Enclave. EXPENSIVE car, list was about $50,000. Both lumbar adjusters have quit, one of them twice. Electric liftgate has screwed up. Leaking transaxle seal. Seat belt buckle failure. Power brakes quit working (fun at 75 mph on the interstate!) twice. Just under 20,000 miles the engine had to be pulled to replace the timing chain due to stretch. ("GM" said they got a bad batch.). This is the vehicle the magazines said would save Buick. They had almost 2 years of building the same thing as a GMC Acadia & Saturn Outlook to work out the bugs. Nuff said!

I am not really thrilled about how GM has been run lately (before or after the bailout/bankruptcy). I honestly t hink many of the latest GM offerings are weak: they offer no mini-van (believe it or not many of us with a large family on a budget still need them) and the Camaro is just oplain butt ugly if you get the wrong color (just saw a charcoal gray the other day, YUCK!!).

They do make some cars i sort of like, we have a rental HHR which is OK (but it is a PT Cruiser clone!!) and the Sky/Solstice are neat (but not exactly practical).

Ford on the other hand makes what looks to be nice cars, but wait they are still FORDs. We all know what that stands for:: Found On Road Dead!!! The new Ford Flex is not really new, it is a rebodied Windstar/Freestar chassis. Give about another 6 months to a year and they will all start falling apart. The transmissions will fail. They did for all years of the Windstar/Freestar production, Ford did not fix the issue and people kept buying them (so why should Ford fix the problem!). The later model mustangs look nice, but they are still fords!!

I owned a Windstar and will never purchase another Ford product as long as I live, unless it is a green 1968 fastback mustang with a big block.

My wife crashed our 2003 grand caravan last week , so we are looking at buying another one. First she thought about getting an SUV, but with three kids (ages 10, 12, 15) that all need their space. Only the full size SUV's or a mini-van have enough space for us and our luggage. Then the cost of purchase and operation makes the mini-van the affordable choice.

My wife first accused me of only wanting a Mopar minivan (is there any other kind??). So we went and looked at a Toyota Sienna and a Chrysler T & C. I wanted the Toyota, but she wants the Chrysler (mostly because she wants the fancy options like heated leather seats and DVD system for the kids). The Mopar minivans have the best features (stow-n-go in 2nd & 3rd row, more interior room, better mileage, etc), but I still have a few gripes about the A/C compressor clutch hub and some other things that broke on my '03 Dodge. I have heard the Toyota's are more reliable and was willing to give it a try since the used one we looked at had the better warranty.

The reason I would never buy a GM product is that they apparently have a corporate policy of not honoring their warranty. When your GM car breaks down during the warranty period, they think of any excuse they can to deny the warranty claim, and then offer to give you more for a trade-in value than you could possibly sell the non-running car for, in order to sell you another shoddy GM product.

The reason I would never buy a GM product is that they apparently have a corporate policy of not honoring their warranty. When your GM car breaks down during the warranty period, they think of any excuse they can to deny the warranty claim, and then offer to give you more for a trade-in value than you could possibly sell the non-running car for, in order to sell you another shoddy GM product.

They've been good so far as far as the warranty stuff on the Buick, but I'm getting REALLY tired of all the stuff that GM keeps sending us in the mail trying to entice us into buying or leasing another Buick. Like I want another one when we've had all of these problems in just over a years time!

The Main Problem With The Domestic Mfr's Is Customer Service. This Is Where Toyota Has Covinced The Public Of Its Reliabilty. Toyota Still Uses The Term "the Customer Is Always Right" & Applies It. Though Nowadays, That Statement Seems To Be Losing Its Meaning With Toyota. Massive Recalls, Covered Up Engine Sludging Issues, & Unattened Acceleration "blamed On Floor Mats", Yea Right. It Seems That When You Get To Be One Of The Largest Manufactures, They Lose Sight Of The Customer. I Truely Believe That Everyone Is Assembling Good Cars. Notice, I Didn't Say Building Them. Most Of The Componets Cross Manufactures Lines Nowadays. Ford Seems To Have It Going On Right Now, Although It Has Rushed The Introduction Of The New Sd Series Trucks, Due To The New Dodge Heavy Duty Series Being That Good. Gm Suffers From Leadership, Chrysler Suffers From Being Bought, Raped, & Sold Every 90 Days. I For One Will Always Be Loyal To Chrysler, I Just Like Driving Them, & For The Most Part They Have Been Trouble Free.

I have always bought and driven Chevy trucks and have never had a lick of trouble with any of them. I still love my 2005 and would not trade it for their spin off toyota that they build now. I think from the side it looks just like an old toyota with the goofy flare around the wheels.

I was surprised when I first heard that but it does make sense after thinking about it for a bit as the full size truck market is the only product line where the domestics are still ahead of the Japanese and if they stand pat with their current line,they'll lose that market as well.Plus,there will still a lot of demand for full size trucks despite which way the rest of the market goes.

I think their mainstream cars and especially their small cars are too far behind the competitions to be competitive so they're better off investing in their strengths for now and just import and rebadge their small cars.

all I can say about Toys is my sister=in=law has one and it lives in the Toy shop

all I can say about Toys is my sister=in=law has one and it lives in the Toy shop

Which goes to show some people can break a crow bar in a sandbox..... :???:

No comparison: Hands down the foreign car is better than domestic. After 35 yrs. of swinging wrenches ya learn something.

Foreign car companies can set up shop in the U.S. and still assemble better autos than the domestic companies...............sad.

My 2002 Saturn SC1 has 207k miles on it and still runs like it is brand new. Sadly I, quite litteraly, got the last one and since the ION the Saturns had all been re-branded GMS and Opals. Figures they would kill the best ones first.

While 'techincally' a GM, it is nothing like their other products.

My next car is going to be a used Toyota. Sorry guys, those things run the way Saturns used to.

-LY

I've always been a p/u man. Dodges and GMC's. I have my '99 Dakota that I bought new. I love the style, but lots and lots of little and not so little things have gone wrong. Not break downs mind you, but still issues. At work we have a 2007 Chevy Colorado. It is the most uncomfortable vehicle I've driven in a long time, I would not buy one of those at all.
C

-
Back