GO GTXJohn !!!

-
Sorry to report they both lost in the Semi Finals .. John Sr.. Was late on the tree in Stock and Jon Jr was the same on the tree as his opponent but couldn’t run the number in Super Stock , mechanical problem maybe? Ken Etter in the Dodge Shadow is in the S/S Final

Last edited:
Sorry to report they both lost in the Semi Finals .. John Sr.. Was late on the tree in Stock and Jon Jr was the same on the tree as his opponent but couldn’t run the number in Super Stock , mechanical problem maybe? Ken Etter in the Dodge Shadow is in the S/S Final
Update : Mopar for the Win !! Ken Etter Wins in a S/S GT Dodge Shadow over an always tough Jimmy Defrank ! Excellent !!!

still made us proud tho, and those are beautiful cars, easily worth a couple 10ths! Congratulations gentlemen, semis ain’t no slouchin’ either!

Last edited:
I watched the 440 Sixpack vs Hemi episode of engine masters last night. Ken Etters got credit for cleaning up and prepping the hemi for the shootout.

Got to watch them both. It was cool to see two old school mopars in a sea of Camaros. Well done @GTX JOHN we were in the stands cheering you on!

I would think low compression 340 , a 318 four barrel wasn't available that year , in an A body anyhow
Both theses cars are 71 High Compression (10.25) 340 with Thermoquads.
They are both carrying a lot of extra ballast to make these classes:
Demon was 3370 at this race
Duster was 3460.

Well we both came up a round short = but made a lot of good memories.
Paul Rossi (Possibly the most famous Superstock Guy ever)
helped us with a lot of good tips and information all weekend!
David Hakim came by and let me know I won the Mopar Top Finisher
award coming with a nice check!
Thanks for all the Good Wishes!!!!!

Next Week stay tuned for Arizona Nationals in Phoenix Area.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compression clarification and checking in !! Congrats on the Mopar Top Performer Award , good to see Mopar supporting the sportsman racer !!! Good Luck in Arizona and the rest of the season !!!

Paul Rossi (Possibly the most famous Superstock Guy every)

Great job John! Good luck in Phoenix. :thumbsup:

You two sure have two great racers, making memories on the line, tree time and looking/running good is plenty to be proud of, good luck in Phoenix men ! Keep us updated please, loved this thread sir :thumbsup:

Congrats! Any chance of tv feeds or livestreams for Phoenix races?

That's the way to do it, GTX John and Son ! How awesome is that Father and Son it the semi's together, Best of Luck in Phoenix !

Big congratulations to both you and your son! I know it comes with a lot of hard work but to me it kind of seems like a dream life I'm getting ready to retire and the thought of running stock eliminator small block mopars with my son well that seems like pretty damn good stuff right there.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know these classes are not cheap to compete in and you are there for 4-5 days but how much does it cost to run one of these classes at a National Event now? And how much is the payout for Semi’s, second, and win now? I entered divisional events for super street and super gas many years ago before the entry and insurance costs went up.

It is $350.00 to enter i think each car= My son does the paper work.
25 years ago you would win 15,000 to 20,000.
Now just few thousand if you win.
Contingency award which were most of it are almost Gone!
Plus the ones that are left do not pay 1/2 the time!
NHRA themselves pay pennies for a purse.
I would guess we get maybe $500 or $600 with everything
for 3rd or 4th.
We do get the Mopar Top Finisher award quite a bit and that is
another $500.00

To run the six Nationals and eight Divisionals with what we spend to maintain
the cars and upgrade (We own about a dozen Race cars including 7 Stock/SS)
them to stay competitive = Already owning all the cars and most parts that are paid for=
It is well over $100,000 an year. This is not considering the $700,000 Haulmark
Toterhome and ATC 4 Car Stacker plus the equipment it takes to race these things!

In the late 1960's Bobby Warren had this on the back of his Nova Superstock:

"A few Men have become fairly Well Off from Drag Racing BUT they we Millionaires
before they started"

Bobby Warren/his Son/his Granddaughter and her husband/ still race Stock/SS
and are Nationally Competitive still today!

I sold my 64 Max Wedge and 70 Roadrunner 440/6 at the Winternationals in 77 because
I could not afford to do it any longer = I worked for 16 years to have enough money to do it again!!

I KNOW I am Crazy - but I have a lot of Company at the Track

Last edited:
We do most of our work and R and D ourselves (Other than Technical Machine Work)
OR
We would spend double what we spend!

Ken Etter(SS Winner) has been our good friend forever and
his father Al was my best friend (RIP)
I will ask him to guess what he won.
He loaned us a CO2 Bottle in the Semis or we would not
have made to call to race = Even though if we had won he
would have to race us in the final

Thanks for the info. I knew NHRA screwed over you guys and contingencies dropped way down. My buddy Frank Miller won Englishtowns super gas class in his Hemi powered K car. Mopar treated Frank well over the years and after that gave him a car (I think a Strattus) and he had about one year to make a race car out of it, which he did. Dave Pazak another friend did well too in different Mopars over the years. Continued good luck to you and your son.

-
Back