Going rate

-

Birddog1

Reaction score
in my area there is a 74 scamp for sale running ac new front suspension and new paint.
Claims excellent condition on the ad. Wants 10,000. Seems high. What do you think.

I'm sure he has that in it but I don't know if that value carries over.
Thanks
MRO

Value is determined by desire. If it has nice paint and new parts....a 42 year old vehicle has got to be worth something. Nice paint is 10K around here. Pics would help.

What engine? If it's a clean body and interior you can just do a better drivetrain swap on I'd say 6,000. I would still have to see the car

Hes asking 10k so realistically he figures hes gonna get beat up on the price. He would probably be happy with 8k. If the panels are straight paint looks pretty good, no rust, wiring isnt hacked, runs good, interior is in good shape then id say between 6-8k. true it is a 74' but seems to me the post 71' a bodies seem to be coming a little more popular and desired as its getting hard to find 71' and pre 71' cars in good shape for decent money. Check under rear trunk mat to check for any signs of quarters being installed or if there is any visual anomalies with the trunk floor that would indicate it was wrecked. Door bottoms are usually a pretty descriptive teller of amount of rust throughout the car. Tap on some body panels and see if it sounds like metal, too often do people sling bondo on there, paint it and then pass it off to someone for a unfair price. If you like it get it. Just trust your gut. If possible bring a second set of eyes and another brain with you, they may see something you dont and may provide good feedback on their thoughts on the car.

in my area there is a 74 scamp for sale running ac new front suspension and new paint.
Claims excellent condition on the ad. Wants 10,000. Seems high. What do you think.

I'm sure he has that in it but I don't know if that value carries over.
Thanks
MRO
is it a /6 or a V8? if it's an 8 - which 8? any go fast goodies or essentially stock? what trans? what rear? what wheels? how are the tires? warning: new paint covers old issues. - buyer beware. how's the interior? what's missing? what's there that shouldn't be? does it leak anything?

Value is determined by desire. If it has nice paint and new parts....a 42 year old vehicle has got to be worth something. Nice paint is 10K around here. Pics would help.
This is it in a nutshell! 10k won't buy you much in the way of a "nice" driver.

Any freshly painted car for sale should trigger the desire to spend an hour going over the thing with a magnet or paint thickness tester, or probably both. And this should be "classic cars 101", just because you spent $10k to paint a car doesn't make it worth $10k.

And $10k can absolutely buy you a "nice" driver. It should buy you a REALLY nice 1974 scamp. Heck $10k should buy you a pretty decent A-body of almost any year. Maybe not a perfect one, but definitely one you should be able to drive without issue.

That is right around the price I was going to put mine up for sale for in the spring time. I am just about finished with it and it has a fresh 1972 318 2bbl with a fresh 904 trans, both have less than 200 miles on them, it has the original 8 1/4 posi rear end, power steering, power disk brakes, large bolt pattern, rallye wheels with good tread on the tires but the tires are older, nothing is missing and everything works including the A/C. I still have a few small things to do to it like put the vinyl top molding back on behind the rear glass even though it no longer has a vinyl top, and I still need to clean the interior "to cold to do it now". It also has new paint but nothing to hide this was a rust free car to start with. So if this car is as clean and as solid as mine is I would say he is right where he should be with the price. Mine only has 45,000 actual miles on it and has spent most of it's life buried in a garage. I think $10,000.00 is a decent price for a finished turn key car.
Bob

184.JPG

187.JPG

189.JPG

079.JPG

Last edited:
That is right around the price I was going to put mine up for sale for in the spring time. I am just about finished with it and it has a fresh 1972 318 2bbl with a fresh 904 trans, both have less than 200 miles on them, it has the original 8 1/4 posi rear end, power steering, power disk brakes, large bolt pattern, rallye wheels with good tread on the tires but the tires are older, nothing is missing and everything works including the A/C. I still have a few small things to do to it like put the vinyl top molding back on behind the rear glass even though it no longer has a vinyl top, and I still need to clean the interior "to cold to do it now". It also has new paint but nothing to hide this was a rust free car to start with. So if this car is as clean and as solid as mine is I would say he is right where he should be with the price. Mine only has 45,000 actual miles on it and has spent most of it's life buried in a garage. I think $10,000.00 is a decent price for a finished turn key car.
Bob

View attachment 1714996926

View attachment 1714996927

View attachment 1714996928

View attachment 1714996929
And anyone that thinks they can buy, refurbish an A- body to this standard for under 10K? Keep dreaming! Nice car, from the pictures I think your in the right price range.

There you go Birddog. Wait and buy 66cuda's car. Hate to tell you what I paid for my 72 Demon and put half that again into it. And it looked pretty darn good when I got it . It had a rebuilt engine , new clutch, new paint, reupholstered seats, new tires and battery. It's mostly what else couldn't be seen ( at least by me with available time so far away) that needed done. If the car is one you want and in good shape it is well worth that opposed to what you might put into a " lesser" car (IMHO).
Yote

And anyone that thinks they can buy, refurbish an A- body to this standard for under 10K? Keep dreaming! Nice car, from the pictures I think your in the right price range.

No one said you could do it yourself for less. That doesn't mean that's what the car's worth. I probably have twice as much money into my Duster right now as I could reasonably get out of it, and even when I finish the paint I probably won't do much better than that. Welcome to working on A-bodies. I bet 66 Cuda has more than $10k into his Scamp, but given that it's a non-numbers '74 Scamp $10k is probably fairly close to the top of the market. No disrespect intended, that's a beautiful car, but $10k is probably in the ballpark for an asking price even though I'm sure it cost more than that to get the car to that level.

And I don't know what the local guy's Scamp looks like, but I'd be waiting on 66 Cuda's Scamp if I was in the market. That's a good looking car. :thumbsup:

The trend on all of these cars is straight up. Five years from now, $10,000 for a clean, Mopar driver is going to seem like a steal.
Also, keep in mind that the new generation of "classic" car investors don't really care how many doors or cylinders one of these things has. They want to park a hunk of classic Americana in their garage.
This market is about to explode

Ya think? Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice car which is why I think $10k is in the ballpark. But-

This one sold for $8k, that's original paint...
1972 Plymouth Barracuda | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

Here's a '74, supposedly rotisserie restored (although the paint isn't perfect), equipped with a 440. It sold for $8,300
1974 Dodge Dart 440 | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

This '76 didn't even make $3,400. This one is all original. Now it's also a /6 with some rust bubbles in the very corners of a couple fenders, but it's also in pretty darn good shape..
1976 Plymouth Other Special Hardtop 2-Door | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

-
Back