Going to Check Out a "Barn Find"

-
Great car (speaking from experience). Looks like mine. Does the engine spin freely? Keep us updated. Great find.

Yes, I was able to move the engine by using the belt and fan. Still waiting to hear back from the seller.

1710884154077.gif

I plan on putting on some rubber gloves and going at that engine compartment with a shop vac first. There's some pretty nasty **** (literally) under the hood. I'd like to wash everything by hand after taking some pictures of it in the sun.
I don't do that anymore, I take duct tape & get all the rat **** stuck to it, then fold it & bag it. Depending on the rodent, & how old/dry the droppings are, airborne dust can contain viruses/bacteria that will kill You. By the time symptoms show to be more than "just a cold", it's too late, be careful.
The gloves & bags, & a poke w/a stick to see if they're occupied, are step #1. It's slow & tedious compared, but unless You've got a bonafide sealed HEPA filter & exhaust isolated away from the infested area, it's the way I've done it at work or wherever for the last 20 or so years.
Oh, congrats, looks like a great find Dude!!!

I don't do that anymore, I take duct tape & get all the rat **** stuck to it, then fold it & bag it. Depending on the rodent, & how old/dry the droppings are, airborne dust can contain viruses/bacteria that will kill You. By the time symptoms show to be more than "just a cold", it's too late, be careful.
The gloves & bags, & a poke w/a stick to see if they're occupied, are step #1. It's slow & tedious compared, but unless You've got a bonafide sealed HEPA filter & exhaust isolated away from the infested area, it's the way I've done it at work or wherever for the last 20 or so years.
You never think of this, but it can be an issue. You can never be too careful around old poop. :eek:

What he said.

We have ("had", hopefully!) bats in the attic in our new place, and the exterminator we hired had a special exterminator-type HEPA vacuum he used to clean-up the old poop, as it can causes all sorts of nastiness once it becomes airborne. I distinctly remember him telling me that he used it for rats feces as well, as the carry some of the same diseases.

Vac was green, and about the same size and shape as a small toolbox, with a carry strap and about 5-6 feet of hose.

Edit: Link to the vac our exterminator used, I think: Buy Omega Green Supreme IPM HEPA Vacuum - Atrix

Last edited:
-
Back