Going to Wyoming...

-

cam.man67

Reaction score
Been a little since I've posted on here, but I thought I'd update y'all...I'm heading west on my vacation week this year! My cousin lives out in DuBois, WY, so it's my plan to drive out and visit him for a day, providing myself 3 days each on the road to and from. Haven't quite figured out a route yet, but I want to go west on a more northern route, then come back home in a more southerly direction. Obviously, I have a lot of planning to do, since I leave July 7! :)

My goal is to center where I drive around scenic views as much as the local flavor (I'm a sucker for diners ;) )...once I get a route finalized, I could definitely use y'alls help with what/where I should see and eat at. :)

Anyways, of interest to you guys...I'm taking the Dart on the trip! She's driven me to St. Louis and back over a weekend this past fall, so I have full confidence, she'll take me all the way to the high desert.

That's all for now, I'll keep it updated. :glasses7:

Sounds like fun, I hope to do some of this same type of travel in the near future.:cheers:
C

Maybe not part of the route but obviously don't miss Yellowstone while you are there. Make a loop from your brother's into Teton, up into Yellowstone, around the park, then go up and out of the park in Cook City, over Dead Indian pass down into Cody, then back to your brother's. I drove Missoula Montana to St Louis a few years back and went through Yellowstone and over Dead Indian pass then diagonally across Wyoming and was much pleased even though that was not planned detour because of flooding in Montana.

Great! That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for..I'll definitely check the loop out. Thanks!

Well a slight, less-than-positive update. Looks like I'm pushing the trip back to July 20, I broke my hand in a truck accident the other day. :(

I should have my route planned soon.

I don't know if you are into camping or not but I really enjoyed brooks lake campground in the mountains south of Jackson. Ten sleep pass was pretty cool too with a nice campground at the creek at the bottom heading west.

It's been about 7 years since my cross country road trip. I didn't stop to see anything so I can't help you there. My input...
All the red smears on the asphalt are a constant reminder to beware of deer, but like the deer themselves, you wont see those smears at night. The one I hit ( at night ) had been knocked down by the 18 wheeler in front of me. Wrecked front tag mount and lower valance was the only damage. I got lucky.
Good luck to you.

I live an hour south of Yellowstone. You will love it. Don't take i-80 whatever you do!!! Very beautiful country.

Should be a great trip. Love the Tetons. Take 20 over from Casper through the Wind River area. Very beautiful county. If you have to take 80 cut over at Rawlins and go through Lander, kind of nice through there also.

If you hit I90 through South Dakota it takes you very near mt Rushmore and the black hills! Very cool. You gotta go. Turn south at Rapid city and enjoy the views and attractions.

Plan it so you do take 90 into Rapid City SD. Mt Rushmore is right there and the Black Hills are beautiful. Then head west into Wyoming and check out Devils Tower en route. I'd by ya lunch at Humphreys or Los Compadres when you come through Gillette but I'll be out of town riding the aforementioned Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph Senic Byway on my bicycle that week. Continue on to Buffalo WY and you can select from a few awesome routes there. You can drop down through Yellowstone and go to Jackson before turning back east to go into Dubois. Let me know if you want any info on the Rapid City area and Wyoming.

Dubois ? Are they one of the 3 families that live there ? Lol

Go north or south...scenery changes dramatically ! What are you driving? A 4wd allows you to get to some stunning scenery ! IMO yellowstone is a overcrowded tourist trap unless you get off the beaten path.. Here of some pics of the Sawtooths in central Id.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 175
That was actually the Deadwood river from my dirtbike.

This is the sawtooths

Attachments

• image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 200
Heading to a lookout at 9000+ ft

Attachments

• image.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 186
Ditch I-90 at Buffalo, take US 16 to Worland, then south on US 16-26 through Thermopolis to Riverton and continue West on US 26 to DuBois. You'll be glad you did. Worland canyon above Ten Sleep is some of the most beautiful country around.

I agree, I-90 west and then take your pick 14 (from Sheridan) or 16 (from Buffalo) will take you over the Big Horns, great drive either way. The Occidental Hotel in Buffalo is a nice place to catch a cold one too! I would also recommend a flyrod, as the fishing is dynamite!

What they all said.... The difference in scenery is huge ! You will remember the trip all your life!

If you take 90 Don't forget to stop at Wall Drug (Wall South Dakota). It's an hour or less before you get to Rapid City. Then you can get a bumper sticker that says "Where the Hell is Wall Drug".

World Famous. No Doubt!

Soldier_Stand_by_Wall_Drug_Sign.jpg

Ha, Wall Drug.....you can get free ice water there, and all the tourist trinkets you could ever want. It's one of those places, if you haven't been there you really should go, but if you have been there it might be once too often!!!! My cousin took a Wall Drug bumper sticker to VietNam and put it on an out house. So, it is at least widely advertised.
And as far as the fly rod goes, I can't imagine going anywhere without one, especially anywhere in Wyoming!

I remember the first time going into South Dakota...the first Wall Drug sign was probably in Minnesota...Im like, why is a pharmacy advertising 500 miles out!

-
Back