Gonna make a new garage clock...

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This is an original hub cap from a 1969 Plymouth Sport Satellite Station Wagon. ..my parents bought it new in late '68.

image000001.jpg

When it went to its final demise around 1980, I swiped this one hub cap for posterity. Pretty sentimental for a 13 year old kid...lol. I loved that car.....

The clock in my garage is a POS....doesn't keep time worth a damn.
I've toted this hub cap around for almost 40 years...time to make it a clock. (Get it? TIME to make it a clock?! Lol...)

I'll get a good movement from Hobby Lobby and some numbers....
I'll post up the final product when done.

Thank you for your time (get it? Time?!!! Lol)

Jeff

So how are you going to do it? You can't just use the center because you would mess up the lettering. And the holes do not add up to 12. It is a great idea and I will be watching.

I would just put the clock in it and no numbers. Been wanting to do that with my original 67 hubcaps......I’ll be watching....get it Watch ing. Hehe

Are you going to chronologize the building of the clock? I can hardly wait another minute.:rolleyes:

I can't post it for some reason, but my garage clock is a photo of my 65 Barracuda Formula S when I brought it home. I purchased an inexpensive electric clock and replaced the background. Ok. It worked this time. Sold several at a mopar event. Took photos of cars an made a clock

20180907_144236.jpg

And how did you do that? Where did you get the clock guts for the hand movement.
It’s pretty easy, just drill a 3/8” hole in the center of the wheel cover, deburr the edges and install the mechanism. You can get the mechanism kits at Michael’s, Hobby Lobby or on line. They aren’t expensive. Just be sure to size the hole to the size of mechanism you get. Also, easier to drill from the back side of the wheel cover out to keep the hole centered.

Clock Making - General Hobby | Michaels Stores

If there is a a Woodcraft store near you they have some decent quality clock movements and hands.

Ordered the clock movement today....
After a little thought about the hour numbering, I decided I'll drill 12 holes around the outside edge and mount 9v LEDs from behind...

All ordered from EBAY....slow boat from China.....I'll update....

Jeff

My clock was made after the new shop on the hill was completed, old Plymouth hub cap, no numbers and will stay that way

15374536587981268159148941931221.jpg

When I had my shop, I used to horde hubcaps. Made hubcap clocks for years with no numbers. Gave them away to buddies. Walmart, Michaels, hobby lobby

-
Back