Good 360 rebuild kit?

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
Hi Small Block folks, well, I searched the forums experience on 360 rebuild kits. I looked fer 30 minutes and did not find a definitive recommendation on rebuild kits . So, heres my deal.

:violent2:

I have a real clean 74 360 duster. Sombich came from the factory red with a white stripe. No rust. I stripped it, every nut bolt and gadget, nothing on it but the rear glass and the gas tank which will be gone this weekend. Going to flip it over and add subframe connectors. Then remove all undercoat, sand blast and epoxy the whole thing.

Well, I am going to freshen up the 360. Freshen up the 727 too. The motor has J heads, guess they all do. Have not torn it down yet but plan on approx 9-1 with the factory heads. Or maybe I can get 10 - 1. So, 9.0 - 10.0 is where I would like to land. Hopefully put some 2.02s or what ever the easiest is, in the heads with mild porting. Got my nice rpm intake for 80 bucks and will run mild springs and a mild lunati cam, factory 1.45 - 1 rockers. Looking at 1800 - 6000 rpm range. Going to run summit generic headers sand blasted and painted with vht silver. Hopefully I will get it balanced at the machine shop if they can balance it externally with the factory harmonic balancer and torque converter.

I have no horsepower goals so, I hope that it simply runs nicely and smoothly and hauls ace all over the place.

It is really just an interim motor while I build my steel crank 440 with them chinese stealth heads I got sittin in the box, waiting for sonic testing and 10 degree locks. Since the 440 and a 4 speed will take forever I want to shake the car down with the 360.

So on my 360 I will run the factory T-Quad on an adapter to the rpm, which currently works perfectly.

Freaking, ok. What is a good all in 1 rebuild kit with good pistons? I am on summit, they have the federal mogul. I would like hyper pistons, maybe a hi vol oil pump although that probably is not even needed.

Them federal moguls dont give the approx comp based on the cc of the heads. Makes me think its because they are 7.6 - 1 pistons sucking wind.

Would any one have some ideas on a reasonable priced rebuild kit?

Thanks in advance...

Rice.

:rambo:

YES! Summit racing has rebuild kits and, AND you can adjust them as needed, for example, you don't like the low comp pistons from speed pro they have in the kit, sub out the part of a KB slug instaed and they'll adjust the price.

Kits are preety inclusive for all ya need. IMO, it is a good deal.

If I was in your socks just doing a 360 for Ha ha's, I'd go the summit rebuild kit with the KB slugs for upgraded compresion and simply bowl port the J head and not worry about the intake valve size, just how well it seals.

retty much any kit supplier can substitute parts as you want. If the goal is shakedown and something to have a litle fun in, talk to the rep about a flat top piston with 2 valve reliefs, hypereutectic, and a compression height of around 1.685 or so. Anything shorter will be "low" compression regardless of the catalog compression rating. If you're going with the factory heads, I'd say run a mild high torque cam and dont get the static higher than 9.5:1.

YES! Summit racing has rebuild kits and, AND you can adjust them as needed, for example, you don't like the low comp pistons from speed pro they have in the kit, sub out the part of a KB slug instaed and they'll adjust the price.

Kits are preety inclusive for all ya need. IMO, it is a good deal.

If I was in your socks just doing a 360 for Ha ha's, I'd go the summit rebuild kit with the KB slugs for upgraded compresion and simply bowl port the J head and not worry about the intake valve size, just how well it seals.

Great. Well, I will probably stick to the factory valves. Save my money. Yea, I am going pretty much torque and low to mid range on the cam. Looking for the curve to come in about 2200 and be faded out about 5500 if possible.

Good advice guys. I will talk to Summit about subbing the KB pistons.

i used summit for a 360 i rebuilt some years ago. I used kb 190 hyperutectic pistons. they advertise 10.5 to 1 but drop into the 9's with the open chamber cyl heads and thick fel pros... everything else was their rebuild kit so to speak. i think the kit cost like 600 at the time. plus the cam that i ordered on top of that. it ran good in my 4x4 that i built it for.

-
Back