Good mods to make torque in a 440

-
The iron heads will need between $1200-1500 in terms of getting ready to bolt on, using costs around where I live and the quality level I demand. .

Similar prices here. I can't see dropping that kind of coin on factory iron heads. I did it, once and it was a regretful lesson learned.

With the bottom end being totally stock and not being touched, and the intended use there is very little reason to go with the aluminum. Iron will be cheaper by hundreds if not more, and will fit the bill. If this was a start-from-scratch I'd agree 100% but the intended level as I understand it can be reached with iron. Plus - if he's in a cheaper area of the country where decent work and equipment is less it makes more sense. Not saying one can't get cheap *** average or worse work anywhere...lol

Compression builds torque.
I would use steel headgaskets and the 516 heads with a gentle back cut on the valves.
Degree the cam and maybe even use 1.6 ratio rockers to add some more lift to the cam you choose.

The best truck engine I ever had was a completely stock 440 out of a 1973 Chrysler New Yorker.

Right now I'm leaning towards just stick it in there and ride with stock heads and all. Long rams are a great suggestion, I've used them before but currently they cost more than I paid for this car. I think I will drop it in with some pretty valve covers and intake and call it a day. Just bought a Viper so I have other things to occupy my thoughts.

-
Back