Good old days !

-

fatoldguy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1715023238

16107327_1191836597551944_3724802802629744088_o.jpg

or the joy of discovering there is a crack in the distributor cap while you are attempting to set the timing...

Most of the kids today wont ever know how it feels to get wacked by a big yellow Accell super coil!

It's especially fun to do at night, that way your whole body lights up!

Yeah,but how many of you had someone toss you a loaded condenser. Grandpa did that to me. My arm was locked up for what seemed like forever.

This brings up one of the Fondest Memories of childhood. The year is 1984 and it's a two period Auto shop and my best friend pulls in his Fastback Impala 327 into the auto shop for some tuning. Well I'm standing watching as he's turning the timing and running the car and all the sudden he asked me to turn it off. Then of course it starts dieseling terribly knock knock knock knock and he looks at me and goes what do I do? So in my mind I'm thinking if we could cut the electricity really quick it won't get any Spark and this terrible noise will stop. So I exclaim - "grab the coil wire!!!"
To this day 33 years later I can tell my buddy - "to grab the coil wire!!" and I still get a "**** you!" "

This brings up one of the Fondest Memories of childhood. The year is 1984 and it's a two period Auto shop and my best friend pulls in his Fastback Impala 327 into the auto shop for some tuning. Well I'm standing watching as he's turning the timing and running the car and all the sudden he asked me to turn it off. Then of course it starts dieseling terribly knock knock knock knock and he looks at me and goes what do I do? So in my mind I'm thinking if we could cut the electricity really quick it won't get any Spark and this terrible noise will stop. So I exclaim - "grab the coil wire!!!"
To this day 33 years later I can tell my buddy - "to grab the coil wire!!" and I still get a "**** you!" "
LOL

As you can Imagine my friend and I weren't teacher's pets by a long shot, my friend the far least of witch. MR. kingham (RIP) was the very essence of a teacher. He used to own his own shop in town and was well you know like a Boy Scout leader excetera excetera just a really good guy. He was standing there when all this went down and I don't think I've ever seen him laugh that hard in the two and a half years I was under his tutelage. Both of us have never forgotten how much it tickled MR. Kingham that day...

As you can Imagine my friend and I weren't teacher's pets by a long shot, my friend the far least of witch. MR. kingham (RIP) was the very essence of a teacher. He used to own his own shop in town and was well you know like a Boy Scout leader excetera excetera just a really good guy. He was standing there when all this went down and I don't think I've ever seen him laugh that hard in the two and a half years I was under his tutelage. Both of us have never forgotten how much it tickled MR. Kingham that day...
never had a teacher that cool. most were far from it, or jerks. wait, maybe that was me !

Yeah,but how many of you had someone toss you a loaded condenser. Grandpa did that to me. My arm was locked up for what seemed like forever.
I was in auto shop in High school, 2 hour block. It was a great time! We were always playing tricks on each other, one of our favorites was the loaded condenser! Man that gives you a jolt!. Our teacher was Mr. Frost, he let us goof around to a point but was a good teacher. We had 2 brand new engines donated by Chrysler, a 318, and a 440 to take apart and learn on. One day the teacher brings in a 73 Power Wagon he bought. It needed some work. He pulled a group of us aside and tells us "You see that new 318 motor over there? I want you to pull that old motor out of my truck and drop that one in. Take the old one outside, pressure clean it and paint it up and set it back against the wall." We ended up painting the truck also. Ah the good old days.

Back before I really knew how to work on cars, I was trying to get my Dart running and wasn't having much luck. My dad asked me if it had spark, and I said that I didn't know how to check that. So.... he told me to stick a finger in a plug wire and it'd give me a small shock if it had spark while he cranked the motor over. He lied. It wasn't a small shock. He was laughing his *** off and I felt like an idiot for falling for that.

At least I learned a lesson that day. Test for spark another way or have somebody else get zapped for your entertainment.

Having your own son grab a spark plug wire and turning the ignition? This has got to be one of the most uncool things. I'm sorry but that one just doesn't tickle my sense of humor. I have an excuse I was 16 years old and dumb, what was your dad's excuse?

I copied the photo in this post and sent it to my buddy via text a couple minutes ago asking him to "grab the coil wire"LOL I will post his response and I'm sure you'll know what it is LOL
I
:rofl:

Having your own son grab a spark plug wire and turning the ignition? This has got to be one of the most uncool things. I'm sorry but that one just doesn't tickle my sense of humor. I have an excuse I was 16 years old and dumb, what was your dad's excuse?

My Dad did that to me "once" and I never forgot it, and I never was scared of it after that either.
Never held it against him.
I have probably been slapped 100 times or more in my life from various projects, ignitions and experiments and there are worse more painful things. (like when you hit the back of your head on the hood after the shock) :D

-
Back