Good price for an 8 3/4 center section

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I just found a center section close to me. It's a 3.55 posi unit, ready to go and bolt in. He wants 770 shipped to my door. I can probably get it for 700 shipped. Is this a good price? What should I ask to verify and make sure it's as he says it is?

IMO that sounds on the high side for a used center section . you won't honestly know the condition of it until it is installed, it could have a worn out sure grip or noisy gears. For that kind of money I would think you would be ahead of the game buying a new sure grip and having it installed in your existing center section, but I assume you also want the ratio change.

IMO that sounds on the high side for a used center section . you won't honestly know the condition of it until it is installed, it could have a worn out sure grip or noisy gears. For that kind of money I would think you would be ahead of the game buying a new sure grip and having it installed in your existing center section, but I assume you also want the ratio change.

I actually have two open center sections, I was originally thinking of just adding a sure grip, but the ones I have were sitting in a barn for 40 years so they spin but have some rust on them, so I'd have to completely rebuild them with gears and a sure grip unit. Just wondering what's more cost effective.

I haven't said I'll buy it or anything so it's no big deal if I don't buy it.

Sounds a little high to me. I gave $450 for the set I bought and its in a 489 carrier. I think I got a good price. I would guess location could have an effect the market value as well.
Rod

I've seen prices range between $350 to $1500. Now I think you'd have to be insane to spend the $1500 but the $700 shipped isn't bargain basement price either. It depends on various other factors whether or not I'd go for it.

1)How soon do you need it?
If you want to get it over and done with soon, it'd be a done deal now.

2)Are you planning on other upgrades such as disc brakes?
Factoring in the additional cost of a brake conversion may make it more feasible to buy another rear end.

3)Would you prefer to have a rear end that is a different width? (narrowed, even slightly)
This would be another reason to look at other alternatives. - Possibly a Dana. Converting and narrowing a Dana 60 from a truck (that might already have the gear ratio you want) is no more expensive than an 8&3/4. There are a lot of them out there and they usually aren't too expensive.

4)There is a demand for 8&3/4 A-body rears (even single tracs). If you were to switch rear ends it's possible to re-coup some of your money by selling your old rear end.

I don't think that the $700 is outrageous. I'm sure that if you looked long enough you'd find a better deal. As a general rule I expect to find a better deal as soon as I spend money on parts. But how long do you want to have to look.

I've seen prices range between $350 to $1500. Now I think you'd have to be insane to spend the $1500 but the $700 shipped isn't bargain basement price either. It depends on various other factors whether or not I'd go for it.

1)How soon do you need it?
If you want to get it over and done with soon, it'd be a done deal now.

2)Are you planning on other upgrades such as disc brakes?
Factoring in the additional cost of a brake conversion may make it more feasible to buy another rear end.

3)Would you prefer to have a rear end that is a different width? (narrowed, even slightly)
This would be another reason to look at other alternatives. - Possibly a Dana. Converting and narrowing a Dana 60 from a truck (that might already have the gear ratio you want) is no more expensive than an 8&3/4. There are a lot of them out there and they usually aren't too expensive.

4)There is a demand for 8&3/4 A-body rears (even single tracs). If you were to switch rear ends it's possible to re-coup some of your money by selling your old rear end.

I don't think that the $700 is outrageous. I'm sure that if you looked long enough you'd find a better deal. As a general rule I expect to find a better deal as soon as I spend money on parts. But how long do you want to have to look.

I am in no hurry, it's going to be a winter project for me, so I just want it done even the snow melts next year. And currently I have a 7 1/4 rear end, so im doing a complete 8 3/4 swap. I already have a housing that's been shortened to accommodate wider tires, so I am going to use an 8 3/4. I may just hold off because I am in no hurry.

Not sure about the posi units but I just bought a 3.91 and a 2.94, both peg leg 8 3/4 741 units at a swap meet in Concord,CA for $50 each.

$700 for a used unit unknown is high. Now if it was rebuilt, then the price is a little more realistic. Which posi, and which case is it

I paid 650 for complete a body 8 3/4 391 gears with rebuilt center.

3rd to say $700 is a REBUILT price, Not a 'pull'. Shop around, I believe you can do better.

Well I passed on it, yea it was pulled right out of a car and that's it, the guy said it was in good shape ready to bolt in but who really knows, can't really take a guy's word for it.

So for a good used unit posi unit what would be a good price to either offer or find one for? 3-500 maybe? Or is that even too high. I'm bad at valuing these things.

I sold my whole posi 8.75 rear with brakes for 1,000+ shipping. It had 3:73 gears. guy said the shipping was 400$.

770 is about half the cost of a brand new one from mancini etc. if my memory serves me right.

The going price for a complete working 3rd member generally ranges from $350-$500. There are many factors that affect pricing. What type of sure grip it has (clutch or cone) makes a difference in price because the clutch types can easily be rebuilt. The cone type is considered a non serviceable item although some guys (me included) have successfully re-machined them to make them work again. The gear ratio also affects the price somewhat. 3.55 gears seem to be the most popular so they sell a little higher. The case (741, 742, or 489) also makes a difference. The 742 and 489 cases have a beefier pinion so they sell higher. Don't be afraid of a 741 though. Even though by many they are considered the weakest units their still plenty strong.

The biggest problem with buying a used 3rd member is no matter how honest the seller is it's always possible that the unit could seem to be working just fine when he pulled it yet not have many miles left in it. Kind of a pig in a poke if you know what I mean.

Man, I scored. $99 for a bare A housing, $45 for a pick-a-part cone 489 SG out of a early 70's B-100 van (3.91's!) and $25 for axles, 10 years ago. Part one together, you can cut a C-body down. Make sure it has straight axles, not tapered.

Around these parts, the cost just to cut down a housing starts at $275.00, that does not include cutting the axles, moving spring perches or anything.

Stock 8 3/4 w/ 2.94 sure grip, 489 case, stock axles, new green bearings, new spring plates, shocks and I am in for right about a grand.

The prices from even 3 years ago are almost double for A Body cars here in Texas.

Bruce

-
Back