Good video by @318willrun

-

moparmandan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen this mentioned yet. Maybe I missed it. Thanks, man!
Looking forward to seeing what the difference is. Apples to apples compare.

Yes, I wouldn't have been able to do that. If I were that far in, I couldn't stop myself from using a set of the MP wafer thin head gaskets and possibly putting a set of 1.6:1 rockers on. I have to give him a lot of credit for being able to exercise that much restraint, because I would have been so far off the rails drunk on the appeal of speed parts the engine would probably out of the car to get zero decked for a set of flat tops and more than likely would be getting a mechanical cam installed into it.

Last edited:
Yes, I wouldn't have been able to do that. If I were that far in, I couldn't stop myself from using a set of the MP wafer thin head gaskets and possibly putting a set of 1.6:1 rockers on. I have to give him a lot of credit for being able to exercise that much restraint, because I would have been so far off the rails drunk on the appeal of speed parts the engine would probably out of the car to get zero decked for a set of flat tops and more than likely would be getting a mechanical cam installed into it.
I agree that took a lot of restraint...

With Factory heads that were milled at least .010 and a .039 head gasket when I went to the speedmasters with a .070 gasket I still had to loosen the adjusters a full turn..

So lets say someone was to duplicate this with an almost identical engine (smogger 360). BUT did want to use a head gasket that would up compression as much as possible. Go with the Fel Pro 1008?

Edit: sounds like a good question for a post.

Last edited:
So lets say someone was to duplicate this with an almost identical engine (smogger 360). BUT did want to use a head gasket that would up compression as much as possible. Go with the Fel Pro 1008?

Edit: sounds like a good question for a post.
1008 would be about .035 compressed..... 8553's are about .050 compressed. You could even go to a head gasket of .028 thickness. I'm gaining compression anyways because the SM heads have smaller cc's and I'm using the same gaskets as before.

318willrun - I understand you used the 8553's for a true head comparison, but do you have any way to quantify the results? Was it run at the track or dyno prior to the swap?

-
Back