Got a rare project

-

Furious59

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Dan came here for some assistance in building the drive train of a car my friends and I are working on. My friend recently inherited a 1959 Plymouth Fury his uncle had been holding onto and occasionally collecting parts for the last 40 years. The car is in decent shape with minimal rust and came with panels to repair most of it. It also had a 1968 police 440 in it but it was just sitting there as it had not been mounted. We took it apart to find it needs a full rebuild. We sourced a low mileage RV 318/727 to get the car mobile for now so we can build the 440 at our leisure. I’ve been doing a lot of research and it tended to send me to this forum so I figured I’d hop in. Here’s a pic of the car the day we picked it up.

IMG_2533.jpeg

Welcome aboard!! Yep, you guys have found a great old Plymouth that was built when I was 1 year old, great find sir

VERY cool! My vote is clearcoat it and make mechanically sound.
Altho we appreciate pics, you should know better than to post just 1. :poke:

I thought those cars repaired and maintained themselves.

When I bought my 59 everybody would say it’s like Christine. My buddy would always say” This is Christine’s younger brother, Clarance” The name stuck

Incredibly awesome project, I would love to see that at any show just the way it is, with that 440 between the rails. Glad you popped in, make yourself at home, Dan.

Hello, my name is Dan came here for some assistance in building the drive train of a car my friends and I are working on. My friend recently inherited a 1959 Plymouth Fury his uncle had been holding onto and occasionally collecting parts for the last 40 years. The car is in decent shape with minimal rust and came with panels to repair most of it. It also had a 1968 police 440 in it but it was just sitting there as it had not been mounted. We took it apart to find it needs a full rebuild. We sourced a low mileage RV 318/727 to get the car mobile for now so we can build the 440 at our leisure. I’ve been doing a lot of research and it tended to send me to this forum so I figured I’d hop in. Here’s a pic of the car the day we picked it up.

View attachment 1716106668
Welcome to town. That's a dandy.

View attachment 1716106668
I think you have a small problem in mounting the small block in place where a big block was.

What was the car built with? And are there any mods to the
K frame?

I think you have a small problem in mounting the small block in place where a big block was.

What was the car built with? And are there any mods to the
K frame?
The car was originally a poly 318. The 440 was bolted to what appears to be the original 1959 auto. It was just sitting on the K-member though, not bolted in at all. We are hoping the 318 will bolt in with the correct mounts for now and we will work on mounting the 440 when it’s built. My friend has been drooling over this car for decades and just wants to get it on the road for now. Here’s a few more pics as well from the day we rescued it. We got a 1959 Belvedere as well but it was in much worse shape. We took a couple parts from it and sold it for parts but the guy who bought it actually thinks he might fix it instead.

IMG_2499.jpeg

IMG_2501.jpeg

IMG_2500.jpeg

IMG_2531.jpeg

IMG_2532.jpeg

Since it was a 318 car to start, any 318 will bolt back in.
IDK about the big block. Best of luck to you guys. Keep posting!

Welcome from just down the road. Awesome car !
I have a friend with a Poly and manual trany that has been sitting in a shed since the late 60s or early 70s if you want to go back to stockish. Polys are great engine and look wicked when dolled up !

if it was a poly car, the 318 will bolt right in and the trans should work... a 440 shouldn't fit that trans though if it's the original trans.

That’s what I thought but the trans decoded as a 59 if I did it properly, lol. The bell housing is removable though so I figured they swapped that as well. It’s a cast iron Power flight I think. It had the correct tail mounted parking brake.

IMG_2851.jpeg

IMG_2852.jpeg
IMG_2850.jpeg

Nice car. I'd flat-clear and Gen III it. However, those cars look amazing in black.

-
Back