Got my Bloomer headed 421 back running.

-
Went to Steele last night. Unloaded and went 6.01. Popped a little bit in first. Went to make second pass it hooked dead up slammed against the wheelie bars and went left. I'm going to put some weight on the front end and see if I can improve it. It really likes the alcohol carburetor. It feels like it's leaving on a 150 spray of nitrous. I feel like it's going to end up running about a 5.95 and that's pretty good for a conventional headed 11.2 to 1 SBM. Rods Heads WORK.

20230803_193949.jpg

Nice. Off the trailer first run and it is within .01 of what you said you thought it would do. Excellent! Heck of a reaction time there bud. .019. Nice.

Nice pass, better air and small things worked out and you have a deep 9 second ride. Best Wishes

That’s not “pretty good” for a conventional headed 421 SBM. That’s hauling *** and very impressive!

Well, he has all the right stuff in and out of it plus plenty of cubic inches. The new cam and heads, the heads being the major unknown star of the show, still all seem to be a good working package.

I’m looking forward to the upcoming progress report.

That’s not “pretty good” for a conventional headed 421 SBM. That’s hauling *** and very impressive!
Thank you sir. I'm pretty proud of it. Rod Bloomer has been very good to work with. My guy down here in Tuscaloosa Jimmy Sexton made some great recommendations for the 421. The Crower 31409 camshaft works really good for this combination. Laverne Ferrouillat did a great job with the headers. If I can get it to run 5.95 in the hottest part of the year. I might be selling the r3 and w5 stuff. I don't care to go any quicker. 6.0 index racing is what I want to do.

Thank you sir. I'm pretty proud of it. Rod Bloomer has been very good to work with. My guy down here in Tuscaloosa Jimmy Sexton made some great recommendations for the 421. The Crower 31409 camshaft works really good for this combination. Laverne Ferrouillat did a great job with the headers. If I can get it to run 5.95 in the hottest part of the year. I might be selling the r3 and w5 stuff. I don't care to go any quicker. 6.0 index racing is what I want to do.
Tell me about your W5 stuff.

I have a complete W5 top in at Larry Smith's getting his best port job I am willing to sell

I have a complete W5 top in at Larry Smith's getting his best port job I am willing to sell
LOL, ahhhhh, NO - thanks, I was asking about them, not a sales pitch. I have 2 sets, thanks. Still wondering about them.

LOL, ahhhhh, NO - thanks, I was asking about them, not a sales pitch. I have 2 sets, thanks. Still wondering about them.
It's a set of W5'S Larry Smith ported, matching ported Indy intake, solid roller springs, trick titanium retainers and a set of new never ran Harland Sharp 1.5 rockers.

It's a set of W5'S Larry Smith ported, matching ported Indy intake, solid roller springs, trick titanium retainers and a set of new never ran Harland Sharp 1.5 rockers.
Sounds like a good start to me. Would you have flow numbers connected to them?
What did you do for valves, material and length?
The Indy intake is an awesome unit I think.

Sounds like a good start to me. Would you have flow numbers connected to them?
What did you do for valves, material and length?
The Indy intake is an awesome unit I think.
Larry has not given me any flow numbers. Standard steel valves..100 longer than Standard. I have lots of pictures but I can't get them to download. If you are interested contact me on Facebook messenger. Vick Terry

Larry has not given me any flow numbers. Standard steel valves..100 longer than Standard. I have lots of pictures but I can't get them to download. If you are interested contact me on Facebook messenger. Vick Terry
Thanks. No Facebook for me.

Vic, number of years back I took off and sold an Eddie top end and headers to a guy. I replaced the top end with W5 full boogie ported heads, a Brett Miller modified Victor W2, and TTI W5 headers.
left all else the same. Erson rockers.
I currently have a bit less cam than what I had then, cars very similar weight, etc…I think these Bloomer heads will end up running as good as my W5 deal did that one year I ran it like that, high 10.30’s.
Broke Eagle cast crank about this point in the season that year, then built a fully roller X block deal for the following season.
To sum it up, I think these heads are very nearly as good as W5 heads, having had both.

Last edited:
I can certainly see this. The specs are there to be competitive between the heads.

Last edited:
Vic, number of years back I took off and sold an Eddie top end and headers to a guy. I replaced the top end with W5 full boogie ported heads, a Brett Miller modified Victor W2, and TTI W5 headers.
left all else the same. Erson rockers.
I currently have a bit less cam than what I had then, cars very similar weight, etc…I think these Bloomer heads will end up running as good as my W5 deal did that one year I ran it, high 10.30’s.
Broke Eagle cast crank about this point in the season that year, then built a fully roller X block deal for the following season.
To sum it up, I think these heads are very nearly as good as W5 heads, having had both.
I'm going to install this kit on the front on my AMX. To limit the front travel and hopefully this will be the last piece to to the puzzle. But I also have 50 pounds of ballast that I can put on the front end if needed. Got to check it over this week. Hopefully didn't flatten the new headers. No the heads. When it's said and done I think the maximum hp capability of the Rod Bloomer heads is going to be about 680 hp. Which is a lot for a conventional SBM head. But I believe that I could get 750 out of the W5'S. But to braket race and 6.0 index race I don't think I'll need more than 680.

Screenshot_20230806-141703_Chrome.jpg

Did anyone flow the Bloomer head yet ? i have not seen any numbers posted .

I'm going to install this kit on the front on my AMX. To limit the front travel and hopefully this will be the last piece to to the puzzle. But I also have 50 pounds of ballast that I can put on the front end if needed. Got to check it over this week. Hopefully didn't flatten the new headers. No the heads. When it's said and done I think the maximum hp capability of the Rod Bloomer heads is going to be about 680 hp. Which is a lot for a conventional SBM head. But I believe that I could get 750 out of the W5'S. But to braket race and 6.0 index race I don't think I'll need more than 680.

View attachment 1716124066

My old car with W5’s has been 9.50’s at 140 at 3220. It made 708 at one point on Best Machines dyno.
Maybe they could make 750, but that I would have to see on a time slip.
Currently the motor is 14 to 1 big spring eater roller, gas ported slugs, yada, yada. Think it’s pretty darn close to a max effort deal.

My old car with W5’s has been 9.50’s at 140 at 3220. It made 708 at one point on Best Machines dyno.
Maybe they could make 750, but that I would have to see on a time slip.
Currently the motor is 14 to 1 big spring eater roller, gas ported slugs, yada, yada. Think it’s pretty darn close to a max effort deal.
There is a guy over in Mississippi who has a 440" W5 engine that Ryan built. It goes 5.90's at 3200 lbs. Ryan dyno'ed it at 760 hp. And according to the wallace power speed calculator that pretty much right on. But I've been 6.01 in 97 deg heat. With very little tuning. So I believe that it'll go 5.90's in the heat which is enough to do what I want to do.. But Rod's heads are really good for what they are.

Did anyone flow the Bloomer head yet ? i have not seen any numbers posted .
This is what I remember. I think Rod told me that on his bench they flowed 296 cfm at. .600 lift. But people tell me that flow isn't everything. People have had those brodex moved center heads that have flowed in the 340's cfm wise. But the engine didn't make much more than 600 hp. I've see w7 engines that flowed about the same thing make right at 800 hp. But I know for sure how much power Rod's heads make. And I don't know any other conventional head that you can buy that can make 680 hp.

Well. still working on the suspension. Went to Holiday Beach Raceway test and tune 101 degrees went 6.03. 1.306 at 60 feet. I put travel limters on the front end and lowered the wheelie bars. It's drivable now but it squeaks the tires about 8 or 10 feet out. I may be being too picky. Maybe it's good that it's getting up on the tire. I've not tuned on the timing, jetting or shift points yet. I do think that I can get it to go a 5.99 in the high heat. And maybe high 5.80's in late fall.

Well. still working on the suspension. Went to Holiday Beach Raceway test and tune 101 degrees went 6.03. 1.306 at 60 feet. I put travel limters on the front end and lowered the wheelie bars. It's drivable now but it squeaks the tires about 8 or 10 feet out. I may be being too picky. Maybe it's good that it's getting up on the tire. I've not tuned on the timing, jetting or shift points yet. I do think that I can get it to go a 5.99 in the high heat. And maybe high 5.80's in late fall.
First pass off the trailer at Steele, AL test and tune

20230907_190403.jpg

-
Back