got my first motor fired up

-

kielbasa

Reaction score
Hi guys, this was my first attempt at putting an engine together. I certainly learned a lot, would love to do it again, as I'd do some things differently - but I just can't afford to make multiple engines....but it runs well and sounds good!
quick and dirty lowdown:
1971 360 block
4.125 stroke
IMM ported Edelbrocks
242/248 hyd roller
1.6 rockers
10.25:1 CR

Using a carb just for shakedown run on the run stand, will be efi.
Just wanted a pump gas street motor that will allow me to do a lit bit of steering with my right foot.

motor1.jpg

motor2.jpg

Congrats. Looks like an awesome build, whats it going in?

Congratulations on your build. Now ,lets hear it.

I love steering with my right foot. :D
I don't know why everyone else in traffic is so shocked when it happens, but you'd think they just saw a bomb go off or something.
Sissies.:D

Congratulations on the motor.

going into an AAR, hence the smallblock.......crappy cellphone video, the idle actually sounds choppier in the video than real life.....i was just opening the primaries in the video, after we tipped a few back later that night i gave her some blips to WOT - then it really barked and spooled up.....

Just drove my brothers 410 with ported eddys and a 560 lift cam......yeah you steer with your right foot!!!damn i need to put a stroker kit in my 360!

bad *** bro, my first build was a 351C but didnt have the pleasure of a break in stand. Now I do for my 4.00 stroke 360. And my Cleveland had that same exhaust: packs off the headers and 3 feet of 2.5.

Sweet !
I'm sure you will do plenty of right foot steering !!
Post some pics of the kids as well .
Congrats on the successful build .

Hi guys, this was my first attempt at putting an engine together. I certainly learned a lot, would love to do it again, as I'd do some things differently - but I just can't afford to make multiple engines....but it runs well and sounds good!
quick and dirty lowdown:
1971 360 block
4.125 stroke
IMM ported Edelbrocks
242/248 hyd roller
1.6 rockers

Just wanted a pump gas street motor that will allow me to do a lit bit of steering with my right foot.

View attachment 1715045390

View attachment 1715045391
Very nice! What pistons and rods did you use please?

congrats pal. that's one hell of a way to get your feet wet!

I used BPE rotating assembly (Callies Compstar 6.2 rods, Autotec pistons)....with bore already at .060 over, I sonic checked this block 3 times to make sure it wasn't gonna be a timebomb...of course all three test gave three different results, but they all showed acceptable results.....comes out 427 cubes, gonna have to get me some chevy flag stickers......

no idea on the headers, got them from a free 1973 dodge camper.....i was happy they cleared the road race pan, the headers my brother normally uses on his run stand interfered.....

oh, and I also have retrofit hyd roller lifters (probably Morels), the other thread on this forum had me worried....but I was pleasantly surprised how quiet the valvetrain is on this engine!

oh, and I also have retrofit hyd roller lifters (probably Morels), the other thread on this forum had me worried....but I was pleasantly surprised how quiet the valvetrain is on this engine!

First, Good job! Second, I've used the Morel's that Hughes sells and the engine sounded like a quiet sewing machine when listening with the stethoscope and it revved to 6700+rpm to boot! J.Rob

quick and dirty lowdown:
1971 360 block
4.125 stroke
IMM ported Edelbrocks
242/248 hyd roller
1.6 rockers

View attachment 1715045390

View attachment 1715045391

Sounds strong!

What EFI setup you thinking of going with? I got the FiTech setup I still gotta put on my 340. Looking forward to it. Seems like lots of guys are having great success with it.

Thank you, I do have to thank many people for allowing me to pick their brains, including a lot of lurking on this forum trying to absorb info....
I doubt I will dyno this engine, don't have time as I really want to get my car on the road asap....
I just wanted 500hp/500tq on pump gas, Brian spec'd a cam and heads for me....flowed 294 at 600 lift.....I have to assume this engine should hit my goal - didn't want to go too crazy with a stock block - besides, this is just a pump gas streeter.
Was going to go with FAST EZ 2.0, as this engine has plenty of vacuum for the self learning, but now I'm actually leaning towards Holley HP.....

Last edited:
Thank you, I do have to thank many people for allowing me to pick their brains, including a lot of lurking on this forum trying to absorb info....
I doubt I will dyno this engine, don't have time as I really want to get my car on the road asap....
I just wanted 500hp/500tq on pump gas, Brian spec'd a cam and heads for me....flowed 294 at 600 lift.....I have to assume this engine should hit my goal - didn't want to go too crazy with a stock block - besides, this is just a pump gas streeter.
Was going to go with FAST EZ 2.0, as this engine has plenty of vacuum for the self learning, but now I'm actually leaning towards Holley HP.....

500HP/500TQ? What? At the wheels? lol

Trust me. That thing has gotta make over that. You can make 500+ horse in an LA with ported stock heads, good intake/carb and a great cam. Heck there's guys making 450+ with a thrown together engine on here.

That's the multi-port setup right? That should really make that thing run good. And nice and streetable. Should be a lot of fun.

I used BPE rotating assembly (Callies Compstar 6.2 rods, Autotec pistons)....with bore already at .060 over, I sonic checked this block 3 times to make sure it wasn't gonna be a timebomb...of course all three test gave three different results, but they all showed acceptable results.....comes out 427 cubes, gonna have to get me some chevy flag stickers......

Thanks for the reply. Our engines are very close in configuration. Same heads. Mine is .030 over for 421ci. My DSS pistons are 11:1. Going on the dyno soon. I'll let you know the HP & TQ. Dan

-
Back