Got my Keisler estimate

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I was looking into a Keisler 5 speed manual conversion kit. I wanted the extra high end gear at .67 so I can actually drive on the highway and I always liked driving a stick. After two weeks I finally got their estimate.
Transmission - 5 speed $3399
Conversion parts - $2387
Total - $5786

I don't think I will be popping a Keisler anytime soon. Gear Vendors, here I come!

Does the Kiesler require any floor modification. If not that's not a bad price. I was waiting on Passon Performance to release their 5-speed 833. It's a direct bolt in, 18 spline, no floor or shifter location mods necessary and I hear it's going to start at $4,295.

Not to sound like a whiner...but maybe I am....

My plan is to buy the Passon 4speed o/d.....new clutch/aluminum drive shaft/aluminum or steel sfi bellhousing/new aluminum flywheel/plus bits and ends.......and pay someone to put it in, and the cost will be less than the quote you posted........I recon I agree w/ MoparToYa.

I know alot of people are bashing Mcleod for not having their 5 speed out yet but from what I hear it will be availible by Nov 1. Price is 3000.

You can source the conversion parts cheaper. Pedals are $100 used for example, compared to the $350+ keisler wants.

Riddler

Have you checked Hurst Driveline Conversions? Or possibly a Viper based conversion? Or a GV behind an 833?

Wow, that's about 2k more than brewers four speed conversion.

Brewer's 4 speed conversion would do me no good. The reason I want a Keisler is for the reduced final gear. It's final is .67. A Brewer's is an 833 conversion and the final gear is 1:1, the same as I have right now. All I would gain is a stick shift. I am looking to gain a lower final gear, with the manual as an added bonus. I run 3200 rpm at 55 mph and 4000 rpm at 70 mph. It would be nice to lower the rpm a bit. Looking hard at Gear Vendors.

Tremec makes .59 OD gears also. They rock. You can run 4.11s and still be around 2200 on the highway with a 26" tire.

Transmission stuff has gone up a lot, but that price seems pretty out of hand. I'm guessing they are making about a grand above retail on that transmission.

IS that an SFI scattershield at least?

You can do a conversion WAY cheaper than that by sourcing everything yourself and shopping around.

No doubt, Swisswill-a certain part of my anatomy is still sucking butter when I hear some of the prices for the 'conversion' parts out there...

I was looking into a Keisler 5 speed manual conversion kit. I wanted the extra high end gear at .67 so I can actually drive on the highway and I always liked driving a stick. After two weeks I finally got their estimate.
Transmission - 5 speed $3399
Conversion parts - $2387
Total - $5786

I don't think I will be popping a Keisler anytime soon. Gear Vendors, here I come!

we built a pro-touring duster with that trans .67 OD and it sucks even with 4.10's... you have to be @ 80mph in order to get into it...

this is with a 528 hemi BTW

Tremec makes .59 OD gears also. They rock. You can run 4.11s and still be around 2200 on the highway with a 26" tire.

Transmission stuff has gone up a lot, but that price seems pretty out of hand. I'm guessing they are making about a grand above retail on that transmission.

IS that an SFI scattershield at least?

It's pretty dang complete. Here is what it looks like. Not a scattershield but SFI approved.

KEISLER 5-SPEED for 1964-76 Chrysler A-Body

Description Qty Cost Total
73 DART AT 318 4.10

TRM-RC5008A, KEISLER 600HP/600FT-LB 5-SPEED TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLY, INCL: KEISLER CUSTOM BUILT TKO-600 WITH ADJUSTABLE PRO BILLET INTERNAL SHIFTER, SPECIAL 2-BOLT LEVER STUB, 4616 CHROMOLOY GEAR SET, 1PC COUNTER SHAFT, DUAL SPEEDO OUTPUTS, REVERSE & NEUTRAL SWITCH OUTPUTS, 99LB WEIGHT, RATIOS: 2.87, 1.89, 1.28,
1.0, .64 $3,399.00T

DSM-DRIVESHAFT, CUSTOM DRIVESHAFT FOR MOPAR PER CUSTOMER SPECIFICATION, INCLUDES SLIP YOKE, PREMIUM SOLID U-JOINTS, DYNAMIC BALANCE CERTIFICATION, 1200 FTLB RATED THIN WALL STEEL CONSTRUCTION

BMM-00401, BODY SHEETMETAL, TKO, CHRYSLER A-BODY WITH AUTOMATIC OR COLUMN SHIFT MANUAL TRANSMISSION

KE-6774AMNT, CROSSMEMBER, TKO, CHRYSLER A-BODY 1967-76

ISA-622388, TRANSMISSION MOUNT, FORD/CHRYSLER, RUBBER

SELECT SPEEDOMETER CABLE BASED ON YEAR OF VEHICLE

REVERSE LIGHT WIRING HARNESS PER REVISION 0

HD ROLLER PILOT BEARING, MOPAR TO TREMEC

HWM-PACK A, PACK A, TRANS-BELLHOUSING HARDWARE

HWM-PACK B, PACK B, ISOLATOR-CROSSMEMBER HARDWARE

HWM-PACK D, ISOLATOR-TRANSMISSION (TKO500/600/T45RS) or WEDGE ADAPTER TO TRANSMISSION (T45RS) HARDWARE

SPEEDOMETER CONNECTION HARDWARE, INCLUDES CLIP, 2 O-RINGS, BOLT AND LOCK WASHER

HWM-PACK F, PACK F, CLUTCH PIVOT MOUNT-BELLHOUSING HARDWARE

SHIFT LEVER HARDWARE FOR RS, TKO, T-56, AND T45

TMM-ATKO, TEMPLATE, TKO, CHRYSLER A-BODY 1964-76 ( re-order size is 18' x 24' )

MAM-00701, INSTALLATION MANUAL, TKO, CHRYSLER, A-BODY 1964-76, REV.

TRM-A2600-64, KIT TOTAL: 600HP 5-SPEED KIT, INCLUDING NEW CLOSE RATIO TRANSMISSION AND ALL BASIC INSTALLATION COMPONENTS FOR CHRYSLER 1967-76 A-BODY. 60 MONTH PRODUCT WARRANTY. $3,399.00

SMALL BLOCK MOPAR BELLHOUSING FOR KEISLER TREMEC TKO- COMPACT, SFI APPROVED AND WEIGHS ONLY 22 LBS! $549.95

FWM-102-00, BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, 130T, 6-BOLT $269.95

#912 CHEVY/MOPAR/FORD FLYWHEEL BOLT, SET OF 6 1 15.95 15.95T
10.75' CLUTCH KIT, 450 FT.LB.RATED, FOR USE WITH 10.5' FLYWHEEL AND BELLHOUSING, 26 SPLINE X 1 1/8' REBOUND CONTROL DISC, NODULAR IRON PRESSURE PLATE, PREMIUM SEALED RELEASE BEARING $229.95

#910 GM/MOPAR PRESSURE PLATE BOLT, SET OF 6 $15.95

1967-76 CHRYSLER A-BODY BRAKE AND CLUTCH PEDAL ASSEMBLY, KING PIN, PEDAL PADS, HARDWARE AND INSTALLATION MANUAL $299.95

COMPLETE HYDRAULIC CLUTCH ACTUATOR PACKAGE FOR 1964-76 A-BODY CHRYSLER WITH TREMEC TKO 5-SPEED, INCL: MASTER CYL, HYDRAULIC RELEASE BEARING, RESERVOIR ASSEMBLY, FLUID LINES, FITTING KIT, INSTRUCTIONS $599.95

SLM-RHA5, CHRYSLER A BODY ROUND HANDLE, NON-CONSOLE 5-SPEED, NO KNOB $99.95

SLA-1630008, CLASSIC WHITE 5-SPEED KNOB, 3/8-16 $29.95

SBM-RHA, CHRYSLER A BODY ALL YEARS, SHIFT BOOT, (REQUIRES PURCHASE OF TRIM RING SBM-TRA) $74.95

SBM-TRA, REPRODUCTION A-BODY SHIFT BOOT TRIM RING $35.95

KEISLER EXCLUSIVE 36 MONTH WARRANTY- BEST ON THE MARKET WITH UP TO 2 YEARS TO ACTIVATE $0.00

SUBTOTAL- *transmission kit quotes valid for 30 days from date quoted* 5,621.45
SHIPPING AND HANDLING 165.00 165.00

$5,786.45

From the pictures I've seen, the McLeod unit wont be a bolt in. Not like the Keisler unit is a complete bolt in, and it sounds to be cheaper, but McLeod's claim was it was supposed to fit an A-Body without cutting, and there's no way that is happening unless they start over.

If your going to have to cut the floor why not use the 6spd tranny that is in the viper or new challenger? Otherwise if you don't want to cut the floor your looking at using a GV unit or (staying with an auto) the GM 200R4 tranny which is a 4spd auto with overdrive and is actually smaller than the 727.

If I was going to go 6 speed, I would look at one out of a new Mustang. I don't like the double overdrives, and the new Mustang 6 speed is 1:1 in 5th and overdrive 6th. It's got a deep first gear (3.66?) and enough gear splits to keep the rpm's up.

That's just me, though.

-
Back