Got my new Horrible Freight drill press today...

-

Krooser

Building Chinese Free Engines since 1959...
Reaction score
Already having trouble...
HFDRILL.jpg

I guess I am having trouble figuring this post out. I have a HF drill press that has worked flawlessly for about 10 years. Are you saying you had a problem with a new HF drill press? They will make it right.

I guess I am having trouble figuring this post out. I have a HF drill press that has worked flawlessly for about 10 years. Are you saying you had a problem with a new HF drill press? They will make it right.

Think its a joke , guy !

It/s posted in "Shop, Garage and Tools"

Last edited:
On a serious note many drill presses are geared WAAAAYYYY too high speed for serious metalwork drilling. I got one 'eck of a deal years back on a used Jet drill/ Mill. Now THAT thing will DRILL HOLES!!!

And then there's this arm-breaking, wrist-twistin, head-knockin thang.......

_mg_7207-jpg.jpg

When I was in the Navy we had a B&D 3/4" drill. Hell you could'a had 10 men, they could not have hung onto that thing. It was in one of those "made for it" drill presses

Last edited:
On a serious not many drill presses are geared WAAAAYYYY to high speed for serious metalwork drilling. I got one 'eck of a deal years back on a used Jet drill/ Mill. Now THAT thing will DRILL HOLES!!!

View attachment 1715330285

When I was in the Navy we had a B&D 3/4" drill. Hell you could'a had 10 men, they could not have hung onto that thing. It was in one of those "made for it" drill presses

When I worked for dresser Ind. , we were drilling concrete for some new big lathes , my helper hit the trigger on an air drill about 2/3 times that size, while I was changing bits, "after I told him specifically don't touch it" , guess who`s finger got broke in the knuckle?
I should have unplugged the air, but I didn`t think anyone was that stupid , guess I was the stupid one !.

I was at an auction a few miles from my home today and really scored some deals. A friend had died and only daughter was selling all his stuff including 18th century farm house he had restored with 14.5 acres and several shops, sheds and barns. I bought an old Craftsmen drill the takes two people to move for $25 which included vice, some bits and lots of other stuff in drawers under it.

I ran a 3rd pulley on mine to slow it down: I used another bench drill next to mine and ran his motor and belt from smallest to my largest power pulley, then ran my belt off the smallest to the largest quill pulley. that got the speed down so I could run a 2.5 hole saw at its recommended FPS. Otherwise it was just burning up the bi-metal hole saw. My belt finally broke after 15 years and Ill probably just get another press as mine has an old worn out chuck and it has a slight wobble to it. Ill be om the look out for an older used one.

I actually still have a 50's vintage Rockwell drill press with a two speed gearbox. Haven't used it in years but in looking at getting a VFD so I can run it with the 5hp 3 phase motor.

On a serious note many drill presses are geared WAAAAYYYY too high speed for serious metalwork drilling. I got one 'eck of a deal years back on a used Jet drill/ Mill. Now THAT thing will DRILL HOLES!!!

My grandpa had a 1" chuck hand drill, that thing would literally break your wrists if it caught ahold of something, that old drill must have had at least a least a 1/2 hp motor on it.

We had an employee fracture a wrist using a Makita 18V when the bit caught up in some insulation and bucked the drill from his hand. The next week we had to turn them all in and got clutched 20v Li-Po Dewalt impacts and drill sets...some of the Makitas never made it back...:)

I actually still have a 50's vintage Rockwell drill press with a two speed gearbox. Haven't used it in years but in looking at getting a VFD so I can run it with the 5hp 3 phase motor.
wait what?
a 5hp 3ph? Carrumba.
Edit: I had a 5hp 3-phase 10" table saw for many years; it was unstallable. I worked that saw for hours and hours all week long, ramming 1"oak boards thru it. Built me some nice arms on the saw, yessir.

Last edited:

We had a drill just like that when I was a kid.
It was always the decision between holding onto it, or letting go.
Can't even tell you how many times that thing spun me around.

Just get another 5-7hp 3 phase motor and make a RPC, rotary phase converter. They can either be easy and crude or a little harder and more sophisticated. Great option if you can get the motor cheap. I have two, and while I was waiting on parts to make them auto-start, I just used a rope on the shaft to start them. Ping me if you are interested. Lots of DIY designs out there. Reason I suggest RPC is that 220V single-phase input VFDs that can handle 5hp are generally not inexpensive.

Coker, Al It was lots of antique tractors and shop tools. I bought one home built tractor with cultivators, cabinet sand blaster, bench grinders, lots of electrical lights, dollies, 4 fire extinguishers, 6 chain binders, 6 nice Wilton c clamps 2 small refridgerators and all kinds of tools and supplies.

Just get another 5-7hp 3 phase motor and make a RPC, rotary phase converter. They can either be easy and crude or a little harder and more sophisticated. Great option if you can get the motor cheap. I have two, and while I was waiting on parts to make them auto-start, I just used a rope on the shaft to start them. Ping me if you are interested. Lots of DIY designs out there. Reason I suggest RPC is that 220V single-phase input VFDs that can handle 5hp are generally not inexpensive.
$80.00 to $120.00 for a VFD that handles the HP.

Simple and cheap. Got a local guy who sells static phase convertors,too but they are more money.

I'm too dumb to build a rotary...I'd burn down my shop.

I have one of those. My father in law gave me. Used it once to try out. Is know in the bottom of the “gifts I can’t give back Box”

Last edited:

I still have one of those. Can you believe the switch has a lock button? Not mine anymore. That was a crazy moment. Im a southpaw, every drill i own that has a lock is ground off flush.

I lucked out, I got this one from work because it did not have the appropriate safety guards so we had to get rid of it, it was free.

20170121_190628.jpg

-
Back