Got My Self A 413

-

67valiant 100

go fast or go home
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
At this past Carlisle I picked me up a 413:cheers:. Got it for $200. Now I guess I'm going big block 4 speed:burnout: It came out of a 65 Imperiale. Whats the stock horse power, torque, and compression ratio of this engine? Its a single 4 barrel. Does anyone have a picture of an abody with one in it. What's your opinion on a 413. I'll post pictures later.

Big block like a 440, plenty of pics of them. May want to check out big block dart dot com.....

Just to prepare you, pistons may be expensive. I don't think anyone makes a good off- the- shelf piston. May have to go custom.

bad *** .....ive been wanting one for a long time for a b body project i have kikin arround and im not touching it untill i get one........congrats awsome find in my opinion and they are pretty rare to scare in my part of the world annyways........

At this past Carlisle I picked me up a 413:cheers:. Got it for $200. Now I guess I'm going big block 4 speed:burnout: It came out of a 64 Imperiale. Whats the stock horse power, torque, and compression ratio of this engine? Its a single 4 barrel. Does anyone have a picture of an abody with one in it. What's your opinion on a 413. I'll post pictures later.

What a deal!
The 413 is a good motor. Stock bhp is 340. I've got one in my '62 Dart Wagon & it move's. Good luck with the build.

Most unless a motorhome engine were 10.5 12.5 to 1 back in the day.

May I would put a stroker kit in it, most likely will need a boore job and crank anyway.

400-435 hp easy no issues near stock, stroker mid range cam 550 hp 600 tq...

The easy way to a decent custom piston on the cheap would be Egge machine works. They'll make you a cast piston no problem.

Now if you wanted to step up to a Hyper-U or Forged slug, you could pay ALOT of money.

If I remember correctly there was a 413/405 horse in the late 50's that had a factory dual quad set up low rise all steel intake. I have seen ratings as high as 430 horse for this engine which had forged pistons. I have seen these intakes around for sale over the past few years. The same set up on a 383 was I believe 335 or 345 horse. I know the ratings seem low for the 383 but I think there might have been a least one generation of heads prior to(im guessing) 68 or so for a better cylinder head. I agree with Rumble finding a good piston for reasonable price might be hard.

Help can't seem to add pictures to manage attachments. Now I can't post new pictures, which means no pictures of the engine until I get some help. Thanks.

I have done a little searching on parts for a 413. The only forged pistons I have found are custom at around $900 a set. The other options, including Egge, are cast, various companies offer them at around $400 a set. The single 4 barrel version (according to Chilton) is 340 HP and 470 ft lb torque with a 10.10 to 1 compression ratio. This will give you a ball park figure, I have seen larger hp numbers from other places but I don't recall anything over 365 with a single 4. I'm putting together the same engine, 64 Chrysler 413, for my 62. Hope this helps

Check the outside of the block around the freeze plugs for cracks. Other than that they are an ok engine to build.

Pulled the intake off & found 3 bent push rods.:( I guess thats what I get for beliving in a red neck that is a Ford wackjob. "Was runing when pulled" my ***.:angryfir::angryfir::angryfir:

Pulled the heads. Good deal of carbon build up. First time I have every pulled a car engine apart:sign2: Mopars engine seem to be so easy to work on. The cylinders seem to be in pretty good shape with almost no ridges. Probably can get away with a simple hone job:cheers: The lifters look like they have no wear. What heads are on a stock 1965 413 4 barrel? Are they good with a valve upgrade & port and polish job? Thanks. When I get the picture thing figured out I will post pictures.

Pulled the heads. Good deal of carbon build up. First time I have every pulled a car engine apart:sign2: Mopars engine seem to be so easy to work on. The cylinders seem to be in pretty good shape with almost no ridges. Probably can get away with a simple hone job:cheers: The lifters look like they have no wear. What heads are on a stock 1965 413 4 barrel? Are they good with a valve upgrade & port and polish job? Thanks. When I get the picture thing figured out I will post pictures.
A '65 413 should have the 516 casting heads. Close chambered but not a bad head. You'll probably want to put in some hard seats though....

Thanks cudamark. Its definitely going to need head work:( as the valves I think are rusted to the seats (haven't yet removed the springs yet so not confirmed but I think that caused the bent push rods.)

Like I said before, check the block real good for cracks before you sink any money into it.

OK you may not see the hi spinning mega HP numbers, but man you can make some serious torque with the 413, they put them in a lot of Pace Arrow Mototr homes in the 70s.

Ramcharger 413 Cross Ram!!! Musclepalooza 2008 Tour...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9g1as6xTu8&feature=related"]YouTube - Ramcharger 413 Cross Ram!!! Musclepalooza 2008 Tour...[/ame]

here is a 426 max wedge next up from your 413.
Lot S93 1963 Plymouth Max Wedge
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2xGz-g_tpE&feature=related"]YouTube - Lot S93 1963 Plymouth Max Wedge[/ame]

Wheelstanding 1964 Plymouth Max Wedge Super Stock

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTdwZLrstPk&feature=related"]YouTube - Wheelstanding 1964 Plymouth Max Wedge Super Stock[/ame]

OK you may not see the hi spinning mega HP numbers, but man you can make some serious torque with the 413, they put them in a lot of Pace Arrow Mototr homes in the 70s.

YouTube - Ramcharger 413 Cross Ram!!! Musclepalooza 2008 Tour...

YouTube - Lot S93 1963 Plymouth Max Wedge

YouTube - Wheelstanding 1964 Plymouth Max Wedge Super Stock

Great videos djwhog:)

YouTube - Ramcharger 413 Cross Ram!!! Musclepalooza 2008 Tour...

YouTube - Lot S93 1963 Plymouth Max Wedge

YouTube - Wheelstanding 1964 Plymouth Max Wedge Super Stock
They only put 413's in motorhomes up until early '73 and they were totally different than a car 413....In fact, I'm not sure they shared any common parts except hardware....maybe rods?

Look at this thread for some ideas.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=5888017

Same basic engine you are corect, but intake had water ports and very low compression, of course RV cam, diff exh manifolds, and very small ports and valves in heads.

Can you just put a 440 crank and bore to a set of 426 pistons, I think you end up with a stroker on the cheaper than a custom set of pistons?

Also You could use the same heads, put in larger vlaves or look for a better set of RB heads denpending on budget etc.

I guess though after all this you end up only really using the block and maybe heads right?

Thats a good thread djwhog. It's probable going to be mostly stock with the exception of a cam & maybe some head work as I'm real tight on money and can't afford much machine work.

-
Back