Got some color today!!!

-
I have been thinking of this paint/clear combo on my car using the urekem paint and the spi clear.

What did you use for primer/sealer?

I know its only been a few months, but how is it holding up?

thanks
Shawn

I used a Valspar DTM primer/sealer and it was really good stuff. Sanded real nice and sprayed nice. I have not had any experience with other product except I did try so 5 Star primer and it was terrible compared to the Valspar. You can also tint the Valspar if need be. I went with white, which really made the color pop. I never thought it would have an effect on the overall look of the base coat but after doing some test pieces with different color primers , it is a factor.
It is holding up real nice. The SPI went down nice, with very little orange peel. Out in the sun it looks near perfect but when I get it in my garage with florescent lights you can see some peel and flaws from my handy work. I could cut and buff it but haven't bothered except I did do a few spots that got some dirt/nibs in the clear and they turned out fine.

Attachments

• Primer.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 206
  • primer1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 189
Looks good. I think im goin go give the urekem paint a shot.

How much color did you use?

I bought a gallon of color and have maybe enough for a quart left, did 3 coats. I didn't do the hood or the roof but did do the jambs, interior doors and inside the trunk lid.

Have you been satisfied with the urekem? I have used SPI clear and it does flow real well even for amateurs. I am getting ready to order my epoxy primer from SPI. Still debating between orange and green. Did the pearl mix and flow out well in the orange?

It did mix and flow very good. I was torn between the orange,green and a pearl gold. I got some House of kolor samples of the three and did some test panels. Green and gold didn't look as good painted and the green seems to be a pretty popular factory color look these days. Not that it would really matter but I wasn't to big on pulling up to a light next to a Chevy cruz or scion looking like the same green color.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 163
Did you go with the 2 stage or Tri stage? I was lurking around their site today and saw the copper pearl as well. I currently have a 72 dart swinger that is lime green with a gold pearl (tri stage) and it really pops in the sun but it is a little more common now to see lime green paint on cars.

Glad to see this color on a mopar. Im thinking of painting my sport this color.. or the orangelo.. can't decide lol. Still happy with the paint?

Glad to see this color on a mopar. Im thinking of painting my sport this color.. or the orangelo.. can't decide lol. Still happy with the paint?
Yes, very happy with it. Just got the car out Sunday from winter hibernation and washed it and it still looks great. These are from last fall.

489A553B-7C48-41D0-B7DC-CB9432D674CB.jpeg

E6B2C78E-576D-4408-A50C-A4CF725CAB0A.jpeg

F2326B45-34BD-4966-AD7B-DE6F37AB0866.jpeg

That looks amazing! That's it..I'm ordering this color tonight. Here's the car it's going on. Going to be a different color combo with the white vinyl top and white vinyl strip down the side.

20180705_173447.jpg

-
Back