Grant horn button help!

-

clinteg

Reaction score
Could someone here please enlighten me. I made a quick video to hopefully make it easier to see what's going on but I cannot figure out how to make the horn button work on this Grant wheel. Nothing seems to fit and parts seem to be missing.

[ame]http://youtu.be/kmvQYmypzCA[/ame]

It's been YEARS since I've done any of this, but it appears to me that parts are mixed and matched

Where or who made the piece mounted on the column? THAT is what the key is I think, and if it's a Grant piece, they sent you the wrong contact pieces, end of story.

Do you have the electrical wiper stuff UNDER the adapter? Does the horn work if you ground the wire?

This:

is more like I'm used to seeing, and looks more like what your electrical contact fits. Normally, it bolts to the top of the wheel with shoulder bolts which allow the contact to move. The spring goes on top of the center bolt and directly under the horn button cap

Incidently I consider the type shown to be "almost junk." Because of the chrome wheel, etc, it becomes work to operate the horn, and half the time, "it doesn't" (when you want it to)

Seems to me you want to go back to square one with the adapter you have

I've got a vintage Cal Custom wood wheel that I plan to use in my Barracuda. I will probably make a custom horn button. The Grant brass discs that contact the button under the wheel adapter are junk and don't last long before the copper is worn away...

Check out this video. This is the way my horn hooked up on my Chevelle with that billet hub.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGHf1nhChDs"]DIY: How to Install Aftermarket Steering Wheel Adapter for Most 1970-1977 Ford Model Vehicles - YouTube[/ame]

I just called them back and they keep telling me that's the kit I need. I, as politely as I could, told them that they were wrong. Then they tell me that I have to take it to a custom shop to have a custom horn made. WTF GRANT! It's YOUR adapter, YOUR steering wheel, YOUR horn button and trim ring, and I need a custom horn install!? Seriously getting sick of this chit. I sent him my video. We'll see what they have to say after that.

Hey 'cuda, I'd like to get some more info on the setup for the '68 Charger if you could.

I just called them back and they keep telling me that's the kit I need. I, as politely as I could, told them that they were wrong. Then they tell me that I have to take it to a custom shop to have a custom horn made. WTF GRANT! It's YOUR adapter, YOUR steering wheel, YOUR horn button and trim ring, and I need a custom horn install!? Seriously getting sick of this chit. I sent him my video. We'll see what they have to say after that.

Hey 'cuda, I'd like to get some more info on the setup for the '68 Charger if you could.

Did you make it clear to them that you were running the billet adapter? I think that may be the main difference in which horn setup you use.

I've got the Charger column here in the garage. I'll try to take more pics and do a partial dis-assembly.

I watched the OP video again. It appears the stuff Grant sent you is a COMPLETE Grant adapter. All those pieces MINUS your fancy Billet adapter go together. Not clear to me that your wheel would fit the Grant parts

Is your Billet adapter made by Grant? If not, nothing Grand does is going to fit. What is the brand and part no. of the billet adapter? Horn button for the Billet?

These are the destructions I found on the Grant site for a Billet adapter

[ame]http://www.grantproducts.com/files/instructions/97541-03-01.pdf[/ame]

This is what I found for a "standard" adapter, the last thing they sent you

[ame]http://www.grantproducts.com/files/instructions/97503-00-01.pdf[/ame]

[ame]http://www.grantproducts.com/files/instructions/97521-00-01.pdf[/ame]

As you can see, the last is completely different from your Billet stuff. Seems to me you got either a ruptured billet kit, missing parts, and or someone at Grant who is even stupider than me

I watched the OP video again. It appears the stuff Grant sent you is a COMPLETE Grant adapter. All those pieces MINUS your fancy Billet adapter go together. Not clear to me that your wheel would fit the Grant parts

Is your Billet adapter made by Grant? If not, nothing Grand does is going to fit. What is the brand and part no. of the billet adapter? Horn button for the Billet?

Yes everything you see in the video are ALL GRANT PRODUCTS. That's why I showed the boxes that all the parts came in with their respective part number. 5196-1 billet adapter, 5870 billet horn button kit, 3196 horn kit (which is wrong but they claim it's right). The only part that isn't a Grant part is the IDIDIT column. That's why I can't figure out why their own parts don't work with each other. I've looked at all their instructions and none of them make sense for my installation. But I'm an idiot. What do I know.

Grant does not supply enough parts in any of their kits to make the horn work in a Mopar, nor enough parts to make the turn signals "Auto Cancel"

The Copper ring/hub that bridges the connection between the column and wheel is missing from all of their kits, as well as the circle clip/ring with the tang protruding from it to cancel the turn signal cam.

I encountered this when I installed a Grant wheel on my '73 Duster in March. At first I thought I got an installation kit that had been packaged wrong (possibly missing pieces), got a replacement kit, same exact parts. (that don't quite match the instructions included), then I looked online and sure enough, even that parts list and instructions don't include or mention the required parts.

I have a horn button under the edge of the dash on the '73 because of that, and manually cancel the turn signals after turning.

Grant does not supply enough parts in any of their kits to make the horn work in a Mopar, nor enough parts to make the turn signals "Auto Cancel"

The Copper ring/hub that bridges the connection between the column and wheel is missing from all of their kits, as well as the circle clip/ring with the tang protruding from it to cancel the turn signal cam.

I encountered this when I installed a Grant wheel on my '73 Duster in March. At first I thought I got an installation kit that had been packaged wrong (possibly missing pieces), got a replacement kit, same exact parts. (that don't quite match the instructions included), then I looked online and sure enough, even that parts list and instructions don't include or mention the required parts.

I have a horn button under the edge of the dash on the '73 because of that, and manually cancel the turn signals after turning.

Ok but this is all GM parts. The IDIDIT column is 100% GM style, as well as the column wiring. All the wiring in my car is new and not Mopar. Everything works perfect. Turn signals, cancelling, flashers, horn, etc. I'm just missing some critical parts to make the horn button stay in place and actually function is the issue. And I agree with the instructions. I think they are JUNK!

Ok but this is all GM parts. The IDIDIT column is 100% GM style, as well as the column wiring. All the wiring in my car is new and not Mopar. Everything works perfect. Turn signals, cancelling, flashers, horn, etc. I'm just missing some critical parts to make the horn button stay in place and actually function is the issue. And I agree with the instructions. I think they are JUNK!

Strange, both columns (GM and Mopar) were built by Saginaw and use many of the same parts.

I'll have to research your part numbers you used that got all that stuff working. I don't know what my numbers were, I tossed all the boxes eventually when I cleaned out the car.

Yeah, the instructions SUCK and do not go into great enough detail. I was considering (seriously considering) wiping my butt with them and mailing them back to Grant as a message to what their instructions were good for.

All the parts to the 3196 horn kit do not fit your setup. Just send that back. Look at the billet horn button holder with the 5 holes in it that match the steering wheel. I assume you have the 5 allen head bolts to mount the wheel.1. What's under the 3m tape on the back of the horn button? Should be the horn contacts. 2 What holds the horn button in place? Looks like from that how to video that there should be a clip that holds it in place. If you have a multi meter, check the horn wire to see if it is pos. or ground. If it's ground, and there are contacts under the 3m tape, should be able to connect one button contact to the wire, and one to ground, so when you push the button, it completes the circuit, and honks.

All the parts to the 3196 horn kit do not fit your setup. Just send that back. Look at the billet horn button holder with the 5 holes in it that match the steering wheel. I assume you have the 5 allen head bolts to mount the wheel.1. What's under the 3m tape on the back of the horn button? Should be the horn contacts. 2 What holds the horn button in place? Looks like from that how to video that there should be a clip that holds it in place. If you have a multi meter, check the horn wire to see if it is pos. or ground. If it's ground, and there are contacts under the 3m tape, should be able to connect one button contact to the wire, and one to ground, so when you push the button, it completes the circuit, and honks.

Yes the 3196 kit is definitely wrong. I do have the 5 allen bolts for the wheel.

1: I'll check again but pretty sure it's only double sided tape. I felt no contacts under the film.

2: There is NOTHING to hold the horn button in place. There's no groove in the outside ring for a retaining clip or anything and the spring they supply isn't long enough to touch the button whatsoever.

I called IDIDIT and they do have a horn kit that will work. My personal issue with it is that it mounts under the steering wheel instead of on top of it and it doesn't look near as nice as the billet button. If it comes down to it, I'll buy that and return all the other Grant garbage. Still waiting to hear back from Grant's tech manager...

OK. I dismantled my Charger wheel and took pics for you. This is my wheel. - All Grant components on the '68 factory 4-speed column.

View attachment IMG_1135.jpg

With the wheel removed you can see the factory turn signal switch and the 'roller contact' for the horn.

View attachment IMG_1136.jpg

This is the topside of the combination contact ring/splined hub. The horn button is in the background.

View attachment IMG_1137.jpg

This is the bottom side of that ring.

View attachment IMG_1138.jpg

The ring only has one wire attached to it. It goes on in this direction.

View attachment IMG_1139.jpg

Here it is on the shaft.

View attachment IMG_1140.jpg

The next piece to go on is this cover.

View attachment IMG_1143.jpg
View attachment IMG_1144.jpg

Then the billet adapter is next.

View attachment IMG_1145.jpg
View attachment IMG_1146.jpg

The billet adapter will need the 3 bolts threaded into the splined hub now and a flat washer placed over the end of the steering shaft.

View attachment IMG_1147.jpg

Followed by the nut.

View attachment IMG_1148.jpg

I hadn't tightened any of those fasteners up yet. Now is when I attach the short pigtail wire to the billet adapter which should be grounded to the steering shaft. This wire did not come with the kit.

View attachment IMG_1149.jpg

Time for the steering wheel.

View attachment IMG_1150.jpg

Naturally the wires will stick through.

View attachment IMG_1151.jpg

I put one allen bolt in to hold the wheel in place while I attached the wires to my horn button.

View attachment IMG_1152.jpg

Then it's just a matter of taking that first allen bolt out, lining up the holes, and running the 5 allens back in.

View attachment IMG_1153.jpg

Excellent job on the pics! You have went above and beyond to help out. After seeing that, it looks like what I'm missing is the contact piece under the horn button. Now if I can just figure out where to get it. I still don't understand how it will stay in place and yet keep the button from falling through.

Excellent job on the pics! You have went above and beyond to help out. After seeing that, it looks like what I'm missing is the contact piece under the horn button. Now if I can just figure out where to get it. I still don't understand how it will stay in place and yet keep the button from falling through.

If your billet ring is the same as mine, the horn pushes in from the outside and cannot fall in.

View attachment IMG_1157.jpg

View attachment IMG_1158.jpg

Mine is the opposite. It comes in from the back side and can't come outward. But it can fall inward since nothing holds it.

Grant makes some horn buttons that install from the backside and are held in place with a snap ring. Maybe your style??

View attachment 1714735513

That looks EXACTLY like the button I have! But why isn't there a place for a snap ring on mine and why doesn't it have any terminals? That's my question. I wonder if they forgot to machine a groove in the trim ring and forgot to put the rest of the parts in my kit.

Have Grant wheel and did not like horn button. made an adapter to fit stock style horn button on grant wheel. 3/16 th thick aluminum drilled with the 5 hole spacing, counter sunk the 5 holes, then drilled and tapped for the three screws to mount the horn ring. also a relief hole for a tab that stuck down on the ring. makes the smaller dia wheel look almost stock.

Attachments

• Dart Horn Button 002.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 459
  • Dart Horn Button 004.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 457
  • Dart Horn Button 006.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 508
Have Grant wheel and did not like horn button. made an adapter to fit stock style horn button on grant wheel. 3/16 th thick aluminum drilled with the 5 hole spacing, counter sunk the 5 holes, then drilled and tapped for the three screws to mount the horn ring. also a relief hole for a tab that stuck down on the ring. makes the smaller dia wheel look almost stock.

Very creative. Nice job!

-
Back