Graveyard Carz New Letter #1

-
I am aware that there are a variety of different personality types. Something that entertains one person may annoy another person.
I find the show to be great. I don't mind the jokes, the silly stuff. When I read from people complaining about the show, I envision the whiners to be the very types that claim to have a sense of humor but actually do not. I see these people in my various travels and it saddens me to see people so boring and miserable. Get some therapy or take some pills, man! Life is for the living, the laughing andthe pleasure....NOT to be spent being a stone faced curmudgeon.

I am aware that there are a variety of different personality types. Something that entertains one person may annoy another person.
I find the show to be great. I don't mind the jokes, the silly stuff. When I read from people complaining about the show, I envision the whiners to be the very types that claim to have a sense of humor but actually do not. I see these people in my various travels and it saddens me to see people so boring and miserable. Get some therapy or take some pills, man! Life is for the living, the laughing andthe pleasure....NOT to be spent being a stone faced curmudgeon.

So because I don't like him and you do that makes me a stone faced curmudgeon and need therapy and have no sense of humor...Welcome to the conversation a year late. Still don't like the show or Marks antics .

Show sucks.......much better programs to watch,stock restorations=BORING!!

I like the show with the new format. Just watched an old episode an I gotta say, if I wouldn't have my car anywhere near that jackass Darren. Whiny little *****, picking apart other people's cars, that never worked on his own car. If he did, they wouldn't have stolen all the parts off it they did.

I can appreciate a stock resto, but I'd never do one. But if we all had modified cars, what fun would that be. It's like saying all drag cars should be Top Fuel, everything else is boring by comparison. But, to each his own. I'll keep watching Graveyard Carz vs. a shoe that cuts up a perfectly good car to make some dumbass custom with 20" rims and paint/interior that 7 people walking the planet like. Guess I like history.

When I got back to Mopars after a 10 year hiatus I decided I wanted to build my car my way. I have had the rarities...70 T/A Challenger, 68 383 GTS 4spd, and eight more. Yes I miss every one of them but those cars were ones that would required an OEM restoration. So I set about looking for power to weight ratio. A body only choice. Had to be 68-72 and I didn't care what it was just as long as it had low miles, original exterior, interior and glass and a small block. I didn't want to deal with cosmetics or rust. I knew that everything from the radiator to the rear leafs were going to be replaced. And thats what I did. Park of the fun was the hunt for parts. Since my first car was a '71 340 Challenger I leaned toward a 68-71 340. I found one in Palmdale for $400 complete from intake to oil pan. Found a 8-3/4 complete with 10"rear drums for $350 out of a 70 Duster. of course these pieces needed rebuilding which I can proudly say I did in my garage(sans the machine work). I am very happy with the path I chose. I didn't have to worry about a numbers matching R/T or 340 car. I can appreciate the cars that are completed that roll out of the Graveyard Cars shop. At least they don't sneak in that idiotic logo stitched into the seats or rear deck like the 'Count' does. I left the appearance they way I bought it. From the flat hood to the v8 tag on the fenders. Sometimes the drag radials give it away. With all this being said Graveyard Cars would never take my car in for work. Chip Foose would. In fact he loved what I did to my car. My car is a driver(the 10 miles to the gallon isn't easy but I have never cared about gas mileage). Its not perfect but people mistake it for a show car. And I wouldn't change a thing.

I think correct restorations have their place. The inspection daubs, paper tags and stampings have importance. I can appreciate all that. I too like a modified car. I had a 74 Duster with a 71 front end and taillights that I called the Frankenduster. That was actually my screen name awhile. That car looked very much like a 71 Duster 340 from the outside with the hood blackout over original color B5 paint. I sold the car in 2011 to a guy in North Dakota.
I still have my 70 Charger, a car that looks mostly stock from the outside. Aside from the wheels and tires, it appears like a 1970 R/T for the most part. It is also a non pedigree car, starting out as a XP Charger 500 with a 318.

GK 2.JPG

When I got back to Mopars after a 10 year hiatus I decided I wanted to build my car my way. I have had the rarities...70 T/A Challenger, 68 383 GTS 4spd, and eight more. Yes I miss every one of them but those cars were ones that would required an OEM restoration. So I set about looking for power to weight ratio. A body only choice. Had to be 68-72 and I didn't care what it was just as long as it had low miles, original exterior, interior and glass and a small block. I didn't want to deal with cosmetics or rust. I knew that everything from the radiator to the rear leafs were going to be replaced. And thats what I did. Park of the fun was the hunt for parts. Since my first car was a '71 340 Challenger I leaned toward a 68-71 340. I found one in Palmdale for $400 complete from intake to oil pan. Found a 8-3/4 complete with 10"rear drums for $350 out of a 70 Duster. of course these pieces needed rebuilding which I can proudly say I did in my garage(sans the machine work). I am very happy with the path I chose. I didn't have to worry about a numbers matching R/T or 340 car. I can appreciate the cars that are completed that roll out of the Graveyard Cars shop. At least they don't sneak in that idiotic logo stitched into the seats or rear deck like the 'Count' does. I left the appearance they way I bought it. From the flat hood to the v8 tag on the fenders. Sometimes the drag radials give it away. With all this being said Graveyard Cars would never take my car in for work. Chip Foose would. In fact he loved what I did to my car. My car is a driver(the 10 miles to the gallon isn't easy but I have never cared about gas mileage). Its not perfect but people mistake it for a show car. And I wouldn't change a thing.

Wouldn't let Foose any where near my car..he triple tones too many paint jobs and I deffinately am NOT a fan of the bling bling wheels he tends to put on everything..

there are no "right or wrong" answers when it comes to cars and car lovers. everyone has their own taste in the kind of car they want to build or drive. when i restored my 68 barracuda formula s, i painted it with 40 year old lacquer paint because i wanted it to look more like the way cars looked 40 years ago - and the way the 68 barracuda i had in high school looked in 1969. i didn't want a "show car" paint job. now when i park my car beside lots of cars at the car shows i go to, it is no where as nice looking or as shinny as the "base coat, clear coat" paint jobs that are most common today. but to me, my car looks more like an original "survivor" rather than a restored car. it's almost as though my car and i have "aged together." now i understand why some customers want their cars done by Graveyard Carz like the car was just driven off a car carrier in 1970. i would assume that these customers wanted their particular car "new" when they first saw it sitting in the Chrysler Dealership showroom in 1970, but they couldn't afford that dream car way back then. now they have the money to "own" their high school dream car. some of GYC customers have family stories surrounding their car - it was their fathers' or their grandfathers' or a brother who didn't come back from Vietnam. i can understand why these folks would want a "new" 40 year old car. i personally would not want a "perfect" GYC restoration because i would be afraid to drive it after sinking probably $60k into it with GYC. AND, the way people drive these days, i would be a nerveous wreck passing some teenager who was busy texting as i cruised by. and imagine driving one of worman's "masterpieces" to a Texas Roadhouse for a steak dinner and coming out to find a parking lot dent somewhere on the car! no as nice as it might be to own a "factory fresh" old mopar muscle car, i just don't think i could drive and enjoy it. as to the guys who like to build "retro-mod" mopars using new "current technology" parts - that's fine with me. it's not my cup of tea but i can see how new parts would make old mopars a hell of a lot more fun to drive. so there's room for everyone in the collector car market. even if i see a car and do not like the way it was built, i'll still be interested in hearing the owner's story about why he built it the way he did.

Wouldn't let Foose any where near my car..he triple tones too many paint jobs and I deffinately am NOT a fan of the bling bling wheels he tends to put on everything..
Actually most of the work that comes out of his shop doesn't look like those cars he does on his TV show. Now I could never afford any restoration much less a nice paint job. But he will do whatever you want. Including no 20 in wheels or 5 tone paint jobs. Its just another perspective of what one can do and who can do it.

The only difference between your car and my car is that yours is worth $30K more than mine because it's a 2nd gen Charger. And it just looks cool.

I watch GYC, I just like looking at the cars, I take these shows for face value. I do like that it isn't all drama all of the time like many of the others out there. It was fun to see the '67 barracuda vert on the last episode that I watched. I am in the very beginning process of restoring a '68 vert. This is my first Mopar and it's cool to see a show dedicated to them.

-----------------------THIS----------------

-
Back