Graveyard Carz

-
Ive been watching the show also, i would like to see a behind the scene shot to find out actually how many employees work there. If you look in the background they have quite a few cars in process ant any one time. Also i wonder the quality and cost of there restorations.
What I have come to believe is the building is an actaul body shop and they have other ppl working on them but the mopars that are part of the show is done seperatly.This season they have added doors to hide all the other cars.From last season Mark mentions $50,000 alot on the wrecked sunroof cuda.it may be just talk but he said it several times.

anyone from oregon here? does this shop exist for non TV restoration ?
I think they do good work, but are they really doing the work?
if so, they should make mopar owners proud, they work on some rare cars.

Seems like this season they replaced some of the screwing around with product placements. Still not enough on the cars.

I was amazed when they were painting the purple sunroof challenger that they forgot to paint the butt stripe on it before clearing the car...geeez...then they painted it over the clear. I'd probably be pissed if I was the customer.

The most recently aired episode had more actual work on a car(s) than ever before. I think they get what people really want. I believe he/they also function as their own production company so they have control over content. It's just a matter of opinion of what constitutes entertainment value. And product placement just goes with the territory.

I was amazed when they were painting the purple sunroof challenger that they forgot to paint the butt stripe on it before clearing the car...geeez...then they painted it over the clear. I'd probably be pissed if I was the customer.

DING! Me too.

I would NOT be happy with that.

they forgot to paint the butt stripe on it before clearing the car...geeez...then they painted it over the clear.

I was kind of surprised from the standpoint that Mark takes pride in every detail being to exact OEM specifications, right down to assembly line marks (that most won't see) but in this case....

DING! Me too.

I would NOT be happy with that.

Didnt he say thought that it would've been a decal from the factory? if thats the case it wouldnt have been under the clear... the stripe would've been applied over the clear... right?

Those stripes on Chally's were painted, not a tape stripe from the factory, IIRC.

It should have been under the clear coat, IMO. He basically f'd up and decided to go with a less labor intensive solution to apply the stripe

But the car would have been painted in a single stage paint origionally correct?

I just watched this show for the first time last night. It was pretty good. The main guy, Mark, at first came across like a jerk, but I ended up liking the show. I do wish there was less screwing around and more hands on work the car shown.

Didnt he say thought that it would've been a decal from the factory? ...

]Those stripes on Chally's were painted, not a tape stripe from the factory, IIRC.[/B]...

Interesting.

I don't watch the show, but have read the thread. Some of you say the guy prides himself on OE quality restorations and these two comments jump right out at me.

Shouldn't a guy who prides himself on OE restorations know the answer as to whether a stripe is painted on or a decal?

I live in Oregon and have been to the body shop. I actually am the one that sold the sun roof challenger for the prior owner. The cars are done very nicely, yes there are a few mistakes made and no one or shop is perfect. Mark is actually a very down to earth guy and is very knowledgable. The cars are built at his body shop in Sprigfield and I believe there are a few more than just the four of them that work on the mopars. I would be VERY pleased to have them restore one of my cars. The body work is awesome. You only see a little bit of the picture on TV, and the drama is added as that's what America likes. :)

I believe that the stripe was painted before clear, but after paint, which isn't correct, but it has the same exact effect. Looks great in person.

They was no clear from the factory just single stage enamel baked on the car so it could or could not have been a stripe. It doesnt matter if it goes under the clear or not cause the factory didnt use clear.

I watched the show. The way they explained it: the factory painted the tail black and then masked it off before painting the body color. The mistake was that they thought the car should have stripes down the side, but later realized it should have the bumble bee style stripes instead.

anyone from oregon here? does this shop exist for non TV restoration ?
I think they do good work, but are they really doing the work?
if so, they should make mopar owners proud, they work on some rare cars.
I live across town from marks shop I drive by and look over ...I have met him a few times over the years, he dose very nice work and was always wiling to talk. He probable has about 6 to 8 employes and dose other body work ,at least he always did I haven't stopped in in a few years last time I was in there he showed me his set up and said he was going to be making a t v show..so that's how long its been.

I live across town from marks shop I drive by and look over ...I have met him a few times over the years, he dose very nice work and was always wiling to talk. He probable has about 6 to 8 employes and dose other body work ,at least he always did I haven't stopped in in a few years last time I was in there he showed me his set up and said he was going to be making a t v show..so that's how long its been.
someday I will watch the show :D

the correct, the best i remember, was a stripe added to the car. either paint or decal depending on the stripe. 99% decal on the ones i witnessed. seen a painted stripe one time, don't know why. the hoods got the paint, the rest was decals. now dont go giving me down the road, you are talking to a guy that witnessed a 340 duster, purple, white top, black interior, white stripe roll off the line with a /6 under the hood because the line was off a click from chassi to body at the end of a production run.. . they sent it to the dealer who called it "special order". so "s--t" happens, especially on monday and friday in the 1970 to 71 chrylser world. I was there. :) i'm just saying, decal or painted, could be either way, but Never was clear used, so the whole item is moot anyway.

Reality shows are why I refuse to own a television.

The only show in that vein worth seeing is "Duck Dynasty." Its really just a low-production budget situational comedy with a bit of story/moral to it. Entertaining, my daughters absolutely love it

the correct, the best i remember, was a stripe added to the car. Either paint or decal depending on the stripe. 99% decal on the ones i witnessed. Seen a painted stripe one time, don't know why. The hoods got the paint, the rest was decals. Now dont go giving me down the road, you are talking to a guy that witnessed a 340 duster, purple, white top, black interior, white stripe roll off the line with a /6 under the hood because the line was off a click from chassi to body at the end of a production run.. . They sent it to the dealer who called it "special order". So "s--t" happens, especially on monday and friday in the 1970 to 71 chrylser world. I was there. :) i'm just saying, decal or painted, could be either way, but never was clear used, so the whole item is moot anyway.
yep...well put!!

I love the show! They do really good work and although Mark is a bit loony he has a vast amount of knowledge when it comes to mopars. Regarding the stripe.... In the end you can't get a black stripe to be satin if you put it under high gloss clear with the rest of the car. The factory painted the black then masked off the stripe and painted the color. Remember, back then they did not clear a car because the paint was single stage. Imo... it is not that big of a deal the way he did it due to the fact he is painting the car with clear coat and with all the layers of paint and clear the stripe would look sunk in compared to the rest of the paint.

What a joke. The chevy and ford guys are probably laughing there *** off. Someone should blow that shop up. The kicker for me was the owner setting the freshly painted valances on the metal lift and sliding the one to fit the other . That's it for me I won't watch it hoping it don't make it another season.

The most recently aired episode had more actual work on a car(s) than ever before. I think they get what people really want. I believe he/they also function as their own production company so they have control over content. It's just a matter of opinion of what constitutes entertainment value. And product placement just goes with the territory.

You can paint over clear with no issues. Actually it's a common practice. It will get recleared after anyways. 95 percent of cars that get repainted are resprayed over clear. Not all cars are stripped to bare metal everytime they get resprayed

This season has been a hell of a lot better than last season. They are getting back to the aspect of building cars

-
Back