Grease Wind shield wipers?

-
you replace the pivot bushings. the mopar bushings have grease in them. if they're making noise, the bushings are ready to take a crap any way.

I ordered a new wiper pivot seal kit to reinstall them in my car and it came with 2 small zirks fittings to install to be able to grease the pivots when needed

I've seen on the www where someone drilled the housings to grease 'em.

But I'd say if you "run 'em squeekin" it won't be long.............

Could be hard on the motor, too.

Now I need to turn this into a "how to" thread. Do you replace these from under the dash? or from outside?
I have a Schumacher creative services brand kit.
When I run the wipers they bounce across the windshield, so should I replace the pivot assemblies?

I thought this was gonna be about putting wheel bearing grease on your wiper blades.

Haha. If it works I will do it! I have done some reading and I still do not understand where the zerks are suppose to go. I tried the local parts store for the pivot assemblies and they said they don't have them and can no longer get them, even though the items came up on the computer. Makes sense..

Haha. If it works I will do it! I have done some reading and I still do not understand where the zerks are suppose to go. I tried the local parts store for the pivot assemblies and they said they don't have them and can no longer get them, even though the items came up on the computer. Makes sense..

I will take a pic of the included instructions from my kit and post them up later tonight for you and anyone else that needs them.
And may do a write up of the install into my pivots with lots of pics

Thank you, I went out and looked under the dash. The only thing I thought was. ****. They are up in there.

I think it was 74DartSport that did a write up on these a few years back. An excellent write up to include an install of zeros. I will see if I can find a link to it.
C

I think we need to implement a "How to" Forum and post all of our threads there. In a way, make an electronic book that people can search through.

Don't do the zirks fitting tried it last night what a pain in the arse. Not worth it. Couldn't get them to stay in after filling with grease.

But it is nice to have the grease in there though
I filled with as much grease as possible then removed the grease gun and put the fitting back in to cover the hole

Here's a tip for all... if you were to take wiper pivots completely apart you would find 2 short bronze bushings about 2 inches apart. Because all the wear is on one side ( 180 degrees ) of the bushing and shaft.. mark the pivot housing with a sharpie before removing. No you cant rotate the shaft to the unworn side but you can rotate the housing 180 degrees when reinstalling. This will help.
If you're very ambitious and want to rebuild wiper pivots, it can be done. The 4 bushings required are a common size.
The good... Properly rebuilding removes the need for grease fittings.
The bad.. You will need a good used shaft from a donor right pivot assembly to use in rebuilding your left pivot assembly since the shaft in the left assembly is typically worn beyond reuse.

If anyone is interested. I just recieved my pivot gasket kit set with the grease fittings from Tom Hergert in Washington. $14.99 all in. Comes with easy to read instructions. Item # WP6776A for 67-76 Contact him at [email protected]

I just changed 2 pivot bushings on the drive arm.then the ones on the cross shaft broke.so now my car is running one wiper ....and it's a ***** .to get under there and press them in...

Don't do the zirks fitting tried it last night what a pain in the arse. Not worth it. Couldn't get them to stay in after filling with grease.

But it is nice to have the grease in there though
I filled with as much grease as possible then removed the grease gun and put the fitting back in to cover the hole

Here's a thought... How about drilling a small hole, just enough to allow a grease needle to pass through. Maybe drilled at an upward angle to make it easier to reach with the needle on a flex hose with a mini grease gun? I am not a fan of the drive in zirks.

Russ

I am not a fan of the drive in zirks.

Russ
I already had the seals from DMT, so just got threaded zirks at Ace. Used a tap to get a thread or so, but it will make its own threads in the aluminum.

I drilled mine and put in a grease fitting, added grease. Simple and easy, problem solved. Thanks Abody family.

-
Back