Greetings from Alabama

-

Wrencher

Reaction score
So I've been looking around quite a bit recently for information regarding a 1966 Dodge dart gt that was left to me by my grandfather when he passed away. The Car is in great condition, and has been the family for 30+ years.

My research was mainly on brake and master cylinder modification, as this car has the suicidal single master cylinder reservoir and brake line configuration as most of these early A's seem to be sporting. I dont really want to drive the car until I can come up with something more modern and safe.... a wreck in this car would be a disaster since there are no sheet metal reproductions out there.

Well i landed on this site in the 30 page thread on prettybludart's 66 dart transformation and spent an hour reading through the pages and photos. While his car is not what i have in mind for myself, it was a real eye opener to the parts that are still attainable and the potential these cars seem to have. I figured I'd sign up and share a little of my knowledge when needed as well as pick the brains of the seasoned pros out there....

Personally, I worked as a driveability Tech at a local Pontiac/Cadillac/GMC Dealer straight out of college for 5 1/2 years and moved to a Chevrolet/olds dealer for another 5 years before moving out of the automotive field altogether in 2008. I grew quite accustomed to working on the newest cars and am probably one of the few guys who will say that id much rather work on the newest cars than the old ones. A scan tool and Fluke 88 are my tools to pick up first......
Ive always been a fan of the muscle car though, particularly mopars above all, which is tough seeing as how i live in an area dominated by Die hard Bowtie boys.

These days i work at an MDF plant as an operator... Dont get to do much with cars anymore but times are sure to change and when they do my eye's are set on this little project i have sitting in my driveway :)

Welcome to the site! Keep us posted on your progress and add a few pics when you get the chance. Don't see a lot of old survivor cars on here that often.

Welcome. You know we need to see pics of this 66 dart. Cool story and thanks for sharing. I think part of the fun with these cars is hunting for parts that you can't buy from a catalog.

Thanks alot guys.

My thought process at the moment is to put the finishing touches on the car that i know my grandfather wanted to take care of. The Brakes are something I feel its gonna need, but its a personal preference. If the information ive obtained so far is correct, The 66 Chassis parts are compatible with virtually all other a bodies until 75ish..... which is very comforting, lol
I'll be posting a few things here and there in the appropriate sections to verify the info though, and make sure i dont make any really retarded mistakes :)

Thanks again

I'll get pictures together asap and post them on here as well

Welcome to FABO. You will find everything your looking for right here.Ask all the questions you want.8)

Welcome from Alabama! I'm from just north of Birmingham, maybe I'll see you around.

As far as the brakes, find an A body 73 up with discs, get the whole setup including the upper control arms, master cylinder and proportional valve and it will bolt on. you are now gonna have 4 1/2" bolt circle on the front, so you should also do something about changing the rear axle to 4 1/2".
I plan on doing this to a 66 Barracuda if I can get some health problems straightened out,and finish my 63 sport fury ragtop. Already have the parts gathered for the cuda,with new rotors and calipers,along with a complete front suspension kit.
I am in Haleyville, btw, about 75 miles nw of Bham.

oh cool, thanks alot for the tips, thats a great start. I was hoping to get the lug pattern switched over to something a little more common. What i plan on doing for the rear is simply removing the axles, removing the rear studs, welding up the original holes and drilling the 5x4.5" using a wheel for a guide. this way i can go to a 16" wheel. The 5x4" is very very limited in wheel selection last time i looked.

Its a small world, Surprised how many of you are so close to me. Hope your health problems let up and let you get this cuda of your going!

-
Back