Griffin Rad fitment issues

-
I will take the pictures and post them this afternoon (Wednesday).

is your trans mount located in the stock location? if it is, your engine ain`t too far forward. I cut the z mounting system off of my griffin, ( don`t understand why they did that either) , and had my welder heliarc four 1 1/2"x 1 1/2' angle brackets-flush w/ the radiator.---bob

Doh! How do I enlarge these pictures?

Attachments

• IMG_20150218_143949.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20150218_144310.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_20150218_144244.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20150218_144126.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20150218_144041.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20150218_144041 (1).jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20150218_144007.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 249
Thanks Cuda. Nice car, and trick custom job! There's a limit on attachment file size, but your well below that, it looks like your posting cell phone pics, very small. Thanks though!

Anyway, I'll compare your pics to the my radiator and see what I got, thanks for lining that out for me. In the meantime I've decided that I'm going to do what it takes to get my rad in there, might entail modifying the radiator support.

thanks for the pics cuda69

Griffin does not recommend welding on their radiators because you may damage the expoxy.

I must have a different radiator mounting setup than yours, guys. I'm not seeing the Z brackets, and folding this one way or the other won't help. I now realize that modifying the core support will be a nightmare due to the top fluid "cavity" impeding on the hood latch assembly. Not sure there's anyway. You guys have any further ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 243
Again more. I lined up the view to show top to bottom of the core support face. Barely 5"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 223
Finally. My iPad makes me post each pic in a new post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 197
Yup different rad then what I have, with the fan motor right in the middle it looks like it will be right against the water pump pulley so that's going to be a ***** to fit.

Yep, thanks. Not sure at all what to do.. I want the trick electric setup. Damnit.

I had the idea of putting the fan in front and making it a pusher. I doubt it was designed to be installed that way but if you don't want to cut anything, you may not have a choice. Not sure if you would even be able to do it, I have no idea how the fan mounts to the core with this setup.

In any event, looks like you have two realistic choices (in lieu of sending it back)

1) modify their mounting bracket to be able to move it towards the front more or

2) modify your radiator support.

There's probably an elegant solution to this somewhere. Maybe if you do I like I do and stare at it for an hour, it will come to you.

I had the idea of putting the fan in front and making it a pusher. I doubt it was designed to be installed that way but if you don't want to cut anything, you may not have a choice. Not sure if you would even be able to do it, I have no idea how the fan mounts to the core with this setup.

In any event, looks like you have two realistic choices (in lieu of sending it back)

1) modify their mounting bracket to be able to move it towards the front more or

2) modify your radiator support.

There's probably an elegant solution to this somewhere. Maybe if you do I like I do and stare at it for an hour, it will come to you.
Thanks Ram. Oh I'm more than wiling to move the fan in order to use my electric setup, Again, because I don't know much about it, is it feasible? Will it cool as well? I can fabricate whatever's necessary , but wouldn't you have the reverse the fan direction as well? I don't want to"rig" it, you know?

Thanks Ram. Oh I'm more than wiling to move the fan in order to use my electric setup, Again, because I don't know much about it, is it feasible? Will it cool as well? I can fabricate whatever's necessary , but wouldn't you have the reverse the fan direction as well? I don't want to"rig" it, you know?

You should be able to flip the blade. I believe you can also reverse the polarity of the motor by switching the wires which will spin it the opposite direction. Pusher fans are not as efficient as pullers though. You could always wire it so its on all the time rather than being thermostatically controlled but it's still less efficient.

Does not look like this particular setup will work without something getting cut so I'd either start thinking about doing that in the least damaging way or return this one and find one that fits. There's a zillion rad/fan combos out there that will do exactly the same thing, there's got to be one out there that will fit. Frankly, Griffin is ridiculously expensive, anything you find would probably be cheaper in the end.

Truth be told, their mounting brackets are idiotic, at least on mine. Never again for me! Too bad too because the radiator itself is great. Really, it shouldn't be this hard. It either works or it doesn't. Don't over think it.

If your not stuck on that fan and shroud you may want to look at the double electric fan/shroud combo that staggers the fans away from the water pump/pulley area.

If your not stuck on that fan and shroud you may want to look at the double electric fan/shroud combo that staggers the fans away from the water pump/pulley area.

sorry, no epoxy in my griffin rad., it`s also a crossflow, no welding problems.

sorry, no epoxy in my griffin rad., it`s also a crossflow, no welding problems.

Just going by what griffin told me.

Griffin said they uses a vacuum brazing process that is supposedly superior to the CAB brazing most companies now use. The epoxy is an additional benefit as it is far more flexible than aluminum and goes on after and over the "weld".:dontknow:

Picked up my Griffen rad a few years ago during my build. After many hours and a few choice words I sold it for a loss. Was at the local auto parts store talking to them about rads. Found out that a 26 inch rad for a 1976 dodge 1 ton dually would fit right into my existing brackets. Opened up the front slightly and dropped it in. Went through the Dayco hose book and in the back found pictures of hoses and dimensions. Found the hoses to fit like a glove. Mopar fan shroud bolted right up and have never had any heating problems. It almost looks like it was factory installed. Probably not what you wanted to hear but I am happy with it.

Kenny B

Attachments

• IMG_1258.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1256.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1257.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 176
Picked up my Griffen rad a few years ago during my build. After many hours and a few choice words I sold it for a loss. Was at the local auto parts store talking to them about rads. Found out that a 26 inch rad for a 1976 dodge 1 ton dually would fit right into my existing brackets. Opened up the front slightly and dropped it in. Went through the Dayco hose book and in the back found pictures of hoses and dimensions. Found the hoses to fit like a glove. Mopar fan shroud bolted right up and have never had any heating problems. It almost looks like it was factory installed. Probably not what you wanted to hear but I am happy with it.

Kenny B

like this !

Thanks everyone for your help. Ended up taking ramchargers advice and we flipped it over and made it a pusher. Turned out real nice actually. We cut more holes in the shroud to allow more air through, and it fit in there near perfectly. No modifications were necessary to the core support. Check it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0646.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 151
Thanks everyone for your help. Ended up taking ramchargers advice and we flipped it over and made it a pusher. Turned out real nice actually. We cut more holes in the shroud to allow more air through, and it fit in there near perfectly. No modifications were necessary to the core support. Check it out.

:thumrigh:

-
Back