Grinding 360 block for 4 " stroke clearance.

-

jimmer

Reaction score
What do I need to know ?

Who has done this ?

It makes me nervous grinding on block !

I'll be honest , I'm scared to destroy my block !

Can the experienced on this give me a crash coarse ?

Stuff has been sitting far too long !
I need to get this done !!

What do I need to know ?

I just mocked up my crank and rods then used a Sharpie to mark the block as I rotated the assembly. Then took the die grinder with a carbide and mad halfmoon notches ( not to be confused with Natchos) on the bottom of the bore.

My Scat assembly would have cleared anyways but I wanted a little extra margine.

I just happen to be assembling mine right now... you can see in the last pic how much clearance there is.

1534997089321832303653.jpg

15349971370361758177699.jpg

15349973005181828997489.jpg

I thought that is what needs to be done.
Just nervous about grinding.

I put one rod on crank and spun it.
The bolt barely touched the block, but still did touch it.
I just don't want to hurt the block.

The cap screw style rods seem to clear but the stock rod bolt/nut combo needs the slightest touch with the die grinder. Just give yourself .100
IMG_20180822_210844 (1).jpg
IMG_20180822_210853.jpg

Mines down for a broken piston ring.

I used a set of stock rods to check the clearance . That way I was assured of adequate clearance and it was easier to mark the correct spot because the rod kissed the bore a smidge...

Scat I-beams clear with no grinding...and they're lighter...and they're cheaper...and they are plenty strong for a production block build. Just food for thought.

I already have h beam and the rotating assembly is balanced.

Check the under-side of the oil pump for the counterweight clearance.
u can get by with a lot less than .100 , if anything moves that much , it`s too late anyway !!
I ran about .030 on a stroked sbc w/ h beam rods and cap screws , which is about 10 times the bearing clearance as far as crankshaft movement is concerned.

Add some few thousandths more for flexing of various bits and pieces.... still not a lot needed IMHO.

For the OP, just makes sure the edges of the notches are all smoothed out (so that there will be no tendency to start a crack at a sharp edge) and carry on. Been done thousands and thousands of times.

-
Back