Grinding Noise!!

-

olddman

Reaction score
I have a 489 8 3/4 differential with I believe Borg Warner Spin Resistant that needs to be rebuilt. Is this something that I could do or is it best to let someone who rebuilds rearends do it. It has been 50+ years since I have messed with a differential and just not sure about tackling this. Any idea what cost to have it rebuilt might be?

Just because of time I have trusted friends that redo them for me. My buddy just went through my 8 3/4 from my 69 Dart. I'm sure I am more than capable but I work full time and have properties to care for. I pulled it, gave it a good powerwash and dropped it off to him. I cleaned all the leafs and hardware and I'll put it back in after I clean the underside of the car.

Do not have the tools to rebuild. However, I did pull the pumpkin and when I broke it loose from the rear end housing not much oil came out. That made me think that the bearings were shot. The manager of an O'Reilly's, who is a MOPAR owner recommended that I stop by and talk to the guy who builds/repairs transmissions for her race cars. Maybe he knew someone who could check it out. Stopped by and Tim said that he hadn't worked on rear ends for a few years but if I brought the differential by, he would look at it and give me his opinion. Took it to him and explained the noise that it was making and that after the axles were pulled there was no noise, it spun freely with no roughness. He looked it over and said the pinion bearing was a bit loose, but not enough to worry about. Said that the wear pattern on the ring gear look good, all the bearing were smooth with no noise or rough spots. Said that it could be that since the rear end was low on oil that the noise could be coming from the anti-spin unit. He said that he could pull it down and check everything out but said that I might try putting it back in, filling it up with oil and adding anti-slip additive. Drive for a bit and see if would free up the anti-spin. If not bring car by and he would listen for noise. He mentioned that it could be the transmission tail shaft bearing was bad and sound was traveling down drive shaft to rear end. Said that it wasn't common but to check bearing for roughness.

Checked tail shaft bearing and not rough so eliminated that. Plan on putting back together and see what happens.

Had axle bearings replaced two years ago and haven't put that many miles on car. Won't be able to put rear end together until next week. Will post out come!

Axle bearings commonly go out.

Had axle bearings replaced two years ago and haven't put that many miles on car. Won't be able to put rear end together until next week. Will post out come!

Pulled the axles and it was quiet and smooth?
Um, two years ago or not it points to axle bearings.
It sure is easy to check em while they’re out.

-
Back