Gripe: "Restoration." Yea right.

-
A nice AAR 4sp was a STEAL for 10k in
1990 !
The meeting of 2 fools....lol
Sorry just couldnt resist...
I lived in Missouri then, BUT as an example as to what the market really was, in 1991... I took a 71 challenger 383 AT vert, triple black, had the SE option and all RT options too even though mopar did not make a RT vert per say in 91. never any rust, all it needed was new carpet. # car. as nice as yo wi find. it sat in the car corral at mopar nats thur thru sun ..... I had one offer of $11000 and he paid me another $500 to drop it off at the Canadian border! so yo tell me!!??? ha
but I also say another 70 or 71 challenger 383 4 bl car, vert sell right there jst down from me for $ 17000 but it was B5 and 4 speed.

as a side note those in the know, understand the market had busted. the mopar rags kept telling readers how the market was hot and such and such,sold for $$$. all BS trying t give the big boys a chance to sell off.

Sick of "rat rod" and "patina" also. Def agree with "barn finds" being overplayed...
Nowadays it seems like if you are into "rat rods" its all about how much wierd **** you can use thats not automotive that you can weld onto it. And how much you can cut out of the body to lower it. Rat rod??? No man thats called the beat to **** look.

My 67 barracuda yeah i call it a restoration. I am putting parts on it from other year mopars and such. But i mean who wants itty bitty 4 wheel drum brakes anyways.

As others have said words are used the wrong way all the time. So maybe i will take my 71 road runner convertible with its 440 hemi 6 pack, powerglide 4 speed manual trans, and positraction dana rear, and go for a cruise this weekend.

Last edited:
Since the vast majority of owners of these cars now only had a magazine or a parent with a memory of one to provide the motivation to buy it. I can't accurately describe the condition of my clothes washer aside from "it works" and I've put a belt in it once. Ignorance always leads to poor descriptions, and those who are in the know will always be ready to provide their input and correction. Nevermind the car salesman who will say anything to get the deal made. I can remember buying a lot of cars in the 80s whose owners said "it's been painted" or "I put wheels on it and it's got new brakes and exhaust". The words restored and clone are incredibly subjective to the user of them, and most of the users now have no idea about reality.

Since the vast majority of owners of these cars now only had a magazine or a parent with a memory of one to provide the motivation to buy it..
I graduated HS is 1966. first car was a 49 chevy. it kept me from walking. I figure there were plenty of kids in the 80's that drove cars built in the 60's and 70's. most of which were probably not "muscle cars".. a kid that graduated HS is say, 1986 is now 48 years old. that generation is probably the last of the that actually had any memory of these cars first hand!? and most of those kids might have no doubt drove a modern car in HS!!!!
I am amazed at the number of people will swear their car has only 99,000 m. and a speedo that stops at 99,999 mi. do they ever think it has rolled over a time or two?? these same people are those that working (restoring) on their car ( but,hopefully, not paying for all the work done!!), and when it maybe comes up for sale for what ever reason, then the degree of " restoration " is a factor. or quality of work. or what "nuts and bolts" were used in this process. have you ever come behind someone to snap off grade 3 bolts they used on the water pump!??? ha
restored? probably the only time this term will mean anything is when this car if offered for sale. then, if FULLY restored, that is when the buyer and seller discuss if every part of this car has been rebuilt, replaced, or fixed and with what degree of quality as to parts and workmanship???? restored to one guy is a POS to another!!! anal retentive??

I graduated HS is 1966. first car was a 49 chevy. it kept me from walking. I figure there were plenty of kids in the 80's that drove cars built in the 60's and 70's. most of which were probably not "muscle cars".. a kid that graduated HS is say, 1986 is now 48 years old. that generation is probably the last of the that actually had any memory of these cars first hand!? and most of those kids might have no doubt drove a modern car in HS!!!!
I am amazed at the number of people will swear their car has only 99,000 m. and a speedo that stops at 99,999 mi. do they ever think it has rolled over a time or two?? these same people are those that working (restoring) on their car ( but,hopefully, not paying for all the work done!!), and when it maybe comes up for sale for what ever reason, then the degree of " restoration " is a factor. or quality of work. or what "nuts and bolts" were used in this process. have you ever come behind someone to snap off grade 3 bolts they used on the water pump!??? ha
restored? probably the only time this term will mean anything is when this car if offered for sale. then, if FULLY restored, that is when the buyer and seller discuss if every part of this car has been rebuilt, replaced, or fixed and with what degree of quality as to parts and workmanship???? restored to one guy is a POS to another!!! anal retentive??
I am the last of that generation you speak of. i graduated in 1987. I drove a 68 charger with a 383. I got the car when i was 15 years old. Car was built in 68, i was born in 68. I learned and did some body work, a B5 blue repaint sprayed in the driveway, some interior and mechanical repairs, and drove it my senior year in high school.

It wasnt completed in time when i started driving my junior year, so i bought a 66 dodge coronet 2 door hardtop to drive until my charger was ready. Most kids from that timeframe i went to school drove 5-10 year old cars. Only a handful of us had 18-20 year old stuff in the parking lot.

I figured by the 80's most HS kids had newish cars. every generation gets more spoiled by their parents, seems like.

when I was a HS senior in 1966, small rural town sw Ga. only kid that ever drove any kind of newest car was the son of the wealthiest man in the county. he was a year ahead of me. 66 kids in our class in 1966.. then in my senior year a kid bought a new 66 396 chevelle, another kid bought a new 66 galaxie 500 390. but they had good after school jobs. I had a afterschool job but dad though 4 speed cars were for drag racing, and I was not to be a boy racer! I wanted a stick car with a big honkin engine. I settled for a hand me down 49 chevy with a wore out six and 3 on the tree! ha

The only term i really have an issue with is "All Original".
To me, the car is only "All Original" the minute it is rolled off the assembly line and driven to the parking area at the factory.
The rest of the terms mentioned here are all subject to interpretation as everyone's views can be different..............

-
Back