Ground wire goes where? Under dash?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
While removing cluster, I find this short grounding wire. The big ring was attached to one of the support screws for the steering column, but the small ring was not attached? Any idea where it goes? Is it possible this is the grounding wire for the cluster? In which case where would it connect on the cluster? help thanks
the wire is maybe 5 inches long.

Attachments

• ground.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 592
  • ground2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,457
I don't know for sure but it probably grounds the column to the dash frame.

There is a small jumper wire for the ground of steering column. Without it the horn switch, column shift indicator lamp, etc.., would or wouldn't find a ground path through the box coupling. Ford put a similar jumper over their rag joint type coupling for the same reason. Their cruise control buttons in the steering wheel wouldn't work without it.
I could explain or maybe come up with a pic of where the jumper attached in later models. I don't know where it attached in your early A.

That looks like the short ground that connects diagonal across the steering column bracket. I'll see if i can find a picture.

On my 73 Swinger I have a wire EXACTLY like that, and it goes from one of the steering column bolts to the back of the cluster under a screw to the lower right of the speedo cable connection. (looking at the back of the cluster)
There was a condenser that mounted on the same screw for the OEM voltage regulator for the gauges.

I'll try and find a pic for you, but it IS a cluster ground wire.
The wiper switch requires a ground through the cluster also, so it HAS to be there or it will get it's ground through something else. (like your speedo cable) and that's not good.

I cropped this out of a video so it's not that good but it shows the screw where the ground is attached where the condenser mounts. (on my car anyway)

Attachments

• ground.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 600
these are interesting. Because currently (no pun) the horn does not function. However the wipers do function. So are we thinking this wire is the ground for the cluster? Because the whole reason I removed the cluster is because none of it is working. Picture would be great. Maybe it connects to the little screw that holds the Radio Filter condensor thing? I wonder if it will reach...

So are we thinking this wire is the ground for the cluster? ...

Please read the entire thread again. No, this is not the cluster ground. It grounds the COLUMN to the dash frame which in theory is grounded to the body.

There are two or three "things" in the column (depending on year and options) that need a ground. Certainly the HORN button must have a ground. Automatic column shift has a shift quadrant which is lighted. Some cars have the light in the ignition. I don't remember if that actually needs a ground but it might.

The CLUSTER on most? years is grounded by the mounting screws of the cluster. You should ADD a wire to a cluster ground point, long enough you can "deal with" and bolt it to the column support or dash frame.

Please read the entire thread again. No, this is not the cluster ground. It grounds the COLUMN to the dash frame which in theory is grounded to the body.

There are two or three "things" in the column (depending on year and options) that need a ground. Certainly the HORN button must have a ground. Automatic column shift has a shift quadrant which is lighted. Some cars have the light in the ignition. I don't remember if that actually needs a ground but it might.

The CLUSTER on most? years is grounded by the mounting screws of the cluster. You should ADD a wire to a cluster ground point, long enough you can "deal with" and bolt it to the column support or dash frame.

I was going to mention the column to dash ground, but was thinking how to word it when you posted.

The cluster mounting screws could be the ground for the cluster, but my car has that wire he showed going from the column to the back of the cluster, and a different one from the column to the dash. (like an engine to body strap only smaller)

AND I know for a fact no one has ever changed anything on this car.
AND if you fell for that I have a bridge to sell you. :D

I think most of us a more familiar with later models. We aren't seeing the huge column mounting plate with 3 mounting points in your pic.
I've got that more common jumper wire here on the table. The wire is cut at 5 inches long but more importantly, the ring terminals are the same size both ends. Huge teardrop shaped lugs making overall length 6&3/4.
I'm going to guess your jumper routes from a column mounting bolt to a sheet metal screw in the dash.
The main thing is this... OEM engineers utilized chassis ground wherever possible and added actual wires to create ground paths only where needed. For the horn contacts to find a ground path through a bearing or box coupling was intermittent at best. Thus the need.

I am still unsure where to connect the little end of this wire. I tried touching it to a couple places on the column itself and nothing seemed to change? (meaning I would hit the horn but still dead).

What is more interesting, is I dont think this is the steering column ground, because the column support the big end connects to, has a large rubber piece that is decoupling the column from the support. I do see a small green wire (obviously installed after the fact) which is wedged into a Fuse, then goes into the steering column. what kind of nonsense is that?
no horn, no light on column. Those are the only 2 things that are on the column,. The turn indicators work. Driving lights work (ones mounted on the trunk). I dont seem to have any backup lights? though there is a plug on the back of the steering column for what I thought was reverse lights, which was unplugged,. I plugged it in and it gave me the Driving lights on the trunk.

Bump.
Is the consensus that this wire grounds to the Cluster at the condensor? I just got a new repro cluster so i am ready to install. Don't want to fry it.
hit me back. tanks

Its not a bad plan to go ahead and use as dedicated ground the inst' cluster. You could always add another to wherever if needed.

Update so i Bought the new Cluster board for $140 and sent speedo to denver to be rebuilt for $170. I am ready to reinstall the cluster and still have this short black ground cable that i am unsure of its connection? Oh also i bought a new voltage reg for $38. Help is greatly appreciated

Ok so I searched on eBay for Steering colums and now I can see on some of them this same ground wire. Only I can not tell where the little end connects? It has to be to the column near the horn wire? Any help? Also all of the columns I see have a large 3 point mount/support that mine does not have. Mine just has the 2 nuts that hold up the column. The large end of the ground wire goes on one, then it needs to stretch diagonally across towards the back of the column where the little pluggy is? the small end must go in that pluggy bit? any pics?

-
Back