• 1969 GTS

Votes: 94 62.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
Which one has more muscle presence. If it were fall of 1968 right now and you had the means to buy either a new swinger or GTS which would you pick?

A 1969 Dart swinger (LM23)

With a standard 340 and 4 speed combo. All vinyl bench seat and very little body trim. Quite a plain but fast car. No engine options and the column shift Torqueflight being optional. with a standard tail stripe.

This car really took to the roadrunner concept of being a really cheap and plain car with potent driveline that even a teenager can afford to tear up the streets.

OR

1969 GTS (LS23)

With a standard 340 and optional 383 and 440(midyear-spring only) Standard all vinyl bucket seats with an optional console. Torqueflight standard with a 4 speed as a no cost option (except 440). Outlined blackout grille, special trunk lid trim panel and standard tail stripe.

This car really take to the GTX concept by being a muscle car with all the options. A real business man's hot rod. A car that don't look like a teenager's car. Unfortunately with a much bigger price tag but that is not a consideration in this discussion.

Which one is more of a dream car?

Attachments

• 2103_6_low_res.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 725
  • Dart%20For%20Sale%20003.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 648
I would have to say GTS for me!! It would be really cool to have one of each in the same colour.

GTS. Buddy had a '69 with a 383, 4 speed with console, Dana rear. Nice, fast car.

GTS. Back in 1971 I had a chance to buy a 1969 340 Swinger. Went to look at it and it was a 1969 383 GTS. My insurance guy said not a chance being it was a big block and I was a 19 year old kid. No matter what, not getting that car still haunts me.

I would like to go back to 1968 and order my brothers GTS

383 auto 3.91 sure grip white, white interior, red stripe, console, headrest, the mag wheel covers

Hell yes the GTS over the swinger

Talked to a guy today with an original paint white, black vinyl top 340 4 speed 69 swinger

Sure would like to see that car

I got the YOU CANNOT AFFORD THE INSURANCE from my dad after he talked to the insurance agent and dad said, YOULL GET KILLED IN THAT THING!

My 340 Swinger came from the factory with 383 call-outs on the hood ..

I had walked past it 3 times, over several days, going to the Parts dept. and diss-regarded it cuz the BBlocks didn't go as well as the 340's..

The 4th time I walked past, it was in the showroom with the hood up,, I saw the 340,, and went directly to the Sales Dept, and bought it.. lol ., and forgot the parts I had gone for..

I was all into ETs at that time,, stepping down from a Hemi..

The Swinger 340 had less chrome and trim, plain wheels and interior made it a street sleeper and it was light :burnout:

Just like the Road Runner and GTX, both sweet cars but with less trim and fancy crap, the RR like the Swinger 340 means business over pleasure :glasses7:

Attachments

• 6723802037_74b6a16475_z.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 575
  • 1969-dodge-dart-swinger-340-rear-three-quarter.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 561
  • jdandcar.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 536
  • 1969-dodge-dart-swinger-340-interior.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 540
For presence I would say GTS...was an existing model already and people knew what it was. Plus it could be big block and those in the know were anticipating the 440 being available. Swinger was new and not as well known, plus was seen as more of a budget minded car.

Swinger 340 for me. I'm biased because I had two neighbors in the mid 70's that had.....

A Red 4spd w/3.91's that was a very low 14sec car...

A B5 Blue auto w/headers, LD340, 750DP & a 4.10 gear that went 13.40's on F70 Polyglas tires...

Both those cars could make 383 Darts & Roadrunners run for cover on the street...:)

I love the Swinger, but the GTS wins this one.

It might have something to do with the fact that I walked into a local Dodge dealer as a teenager and sitting in the show room was a gorgeous blue (B5 maybe?) Dart GTS. When I looked at the call outs on that very cool hood and it said 440, I had to do a triple take. I had no idea at the time that they even existed.

I quess I'm a bit partial on that question,the GTS of course..as I have one..a 68 GTS 340 4sp..

GTS for me.
Looks great and had the means to back it up.

I love a 440 GTS but theres just something about a 340 4 spd swinger that gets me

I had to vote GTS, but that's mostly just because of the big block options.

It's a close call for the Swinger 340, since to me, it really exemplifies what a muscle car is to me... a stripped car with a powerful engine.

They're both winners.

-
Back