Gues what? another header thread!!! all are welcome

-

JelloB1afra

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Alright guys so im looking at headers for my 360 magnum that im putting in my 72 dart (automatic with collumn shift and power steering). I have decided to go with either the painted or ceramic coated competition hooker headers.

there is the obvious price difference, but what about heat dispersal. honestly i would just get the ceramic coated because i do not much care for painted headers (which i would just wrap in the titanium wrap anyways. how is that stuff? seems a bit hokey).

i just dont want to spend $430 on a set too pretty to bang up. in which case id rather get the cheaper ones.

what long tubes are y'all running?

the paint on the painted header is only there to protect them from rust while they are in the box...as soon as you fire up the engine that paint will peel or burn off ...and you now have bare metal headers..

the paint on the painted header is only there to protect them from rust while they are in the box...as soon as you fire up the engine that paint will peel or burn off ...and you now have bare metal headers..

and that is exactly why i dont like them. put a pair of hedmans on my comet. when they said painted i thought to myself, "cool they come in high temp paint." NOPE.

is there a good way to strip them for header paint that doesnt involve installing them, burning them off, and taking them off again?

i had a set of hookers back in the day they were a b*tch to install. it became easier after i bought a pitman arm puller lol.

not sure about the current models.

i had a set of hookers back in the day they were a b*tch to install. it became easier after i bought a pitman arm puller lol.

not sure about the current models.

was this while you still had the engine in? im building a 360 in my garage and im thinking it should be easier with it out

Hooker's SUCK donkey parts! I suppose they'd work "if" they were the only pipes available. BUT I learned my lesson, make sure you Inspect the sealing flanges for flatness,real good, if you buy Hooker Headers. I'll buy Hedman, from now on.

Hookers do suck (both hookers and PUN intended :) ) But Hedamn I've heard good things about, Question, concerning this, who makes the Tri-Y headers? They seem to have really excellent reviews!? A bit pricey, but.....Said to work, and looks to have a good "flow" to them....Maybe something to consider? AND they come bare, painted, Chrome and Ceramic coated......? Wait a second, these are for B./RB blocks your talking a LA 360, right? Now granted, I'm not sure who makes the Tri-Y headers, SO does that same company make headers for Mopar small blocks too?

Spend another $125 and get Dougs D453 from autozone with a 20-25% off discount code.

Better fit, easier to install, won't burn #5 & 7 wires

but if i dont get hookers, then i cant put the sticker in my window. and thats the best part of having hooker headers. :D i guess i could just get the sticker separate.

Also, i feel i should mention that right now it has a 904, but i plan on swapping in a 4 speed in the very near future

Spend another $125 and get Dougs D453 from autozone with a 20-25% off discount code.

Better fit, easier to install, won't burn #5 & 7 wires

this might be a stupid question, but will they fit a 5.9 the same as a 5.2?

autozone has the labor day sale right now for 20%. I was a click away from buying the Dougs. As for the sticker...I'm old school, but i knew the Thorely stickers were race headers and more power back in the day. I am on the fence between buying TTI's or Dougs. wouldnt consider a header with the link through design. I may just buy the TTi stainless head pipes as I have the later HP 340 manifolds. I cant decide. price really isnt a factor, but I will be pulling the K frame soon to rebuild the complete front end and would rather not have headers in at that time. I also read on a thread here that tti's have small ports that dont quite fit the larger 340/360 heads..any truth to that? I havent heard about Dougs not fitting. any port work on them would void the warranty so thats out. Also..I am not sure about my Z bar, My 360 fits in the factory mounts perfectly. Xmember is perfect fit too, but with my bell and correct ball stud bracket I had to raise the outer ball 1 inch from the factory frame location to get correct geometery on the Z bar. Ive driven it a few miles and it works perfect. I see no way to install the modified tti Z bar with the arm moved, looks like it would hit the starter nose. you said all were welcome!!!

damn. you guys really came through with that autozone sale. ill probably go with those when i get paid this friday.

autozone has the labor day sale right now for 20%. I was a click away from buying the Dougs. As for the sticker...I'm old school, but i knew the Thorely stickers were race headers and more power back in the day. I am on the fence between buying TTI's or Dougs. wouldnt consider a header with the link through design. I may just buy the TTi stainless head pipes as I have the later HP 340 manifolds. I cant decide. price really isnt a factor, but I will be pulling the K frame soon to rebuild the complete front end and would rather not have headers in at that time. I also read on a thread here that tti's have small ports that dont quite fit the larger 340/360 heads..any truth to that? I havent heard about Dougs not fitting. any port work on them would void the warranty so thats out. Also..I am not sure about my Z bar, My 360 fits in the factory mounts perfectly. Xmember is perfect fit too, but with my bell and correct ball stud bracket I had to raise the outer ball 1 inch from the factory frame location to get correct geometery on the Z bar. Ive driven it a few miles and it works perfect. I see no way to install the modified tti Z bar with the arm moved, looks like it would hit the starter nose. you said all were welcome!!!

yeah im kinda wondering what kind of z bar problems ill run into with a 4 speed. ive never modified linkage before.

Schumacher makes the Tri-Y's, and yes they do make them for small blocks. I have a gorgeous set for my 340, but I am a long away from installing them.

I was not happy with the Hooker comp. set I bought, one pipe goes under the steering linkage and the first speed bump you drive over will flatten the pipe. I switched to TTI and I am very happy with them.

-
Back