Guess what this is for, weird tool

-
Yes, hog hide scrapers. When butchering a hog, these were used to scrape the hair off the hide. As a child I have eaten my fair share of cracklins, sometimes you get one with a stiff hair still attached.....lol

Yes, hog hide scrapers. When butchering a hog, these were used to scrape the hair off the hide. As a child I have eaten my fair share of cracklins, sometimes you get one with a stiff hair still attached.....lol
Down here we call cracklins, "Chicharones".

Correct, used for scraping the hair off hogs before butchering. That is if your keeping the skin for baking or frying.

How do I post a picture of rusty rat rod? That's the weirdest tool I know of.

If you’re in this business you will know what this is for. If not give it your best guess.

image.jpg

It has a very unusual ferrule. I think its spring loaded and/or partially retracts.

I wish to hell I knew what this thing does. Its adjustable like a compass by moving the whatsit up and down and has a glass cutter like wheel on the bottom. Then it has the up and down thingy too with inch increments.
20200119_100842-jpg-jpg.jpg
Glass tube cutter.....

Maybe both...maybe someone with the skills to make his/her own laser...

laser.jpg

They still make the tool.

Too easy!

Post #131 is the item in question. It is easy for you since I know what you do for a living. That's unless you retired. I'll bet you have one on your work truck too. Craig

Last edited:
More research has me believing the person most likely to own the tool would be a plumber who works on boilers. They have sight tubes for the water level that probably get broken a lot.
Glade you took the time to research this.

More research has me believing the person most likely to own the tool would be a plumber who works on boilers. They have sight tubes for the water level that probably get broken a lot.
I actually have one of those tools. My grandfather used it to cut sight glasses when he was building ships and submarines for the Navy in WWII.

We also had them in the glass shop at DuPont when I first started working there to cut glass tubing to length for custom made glass reaction/distillation equipment for the research labs.

I actually don't know what this is. Cleaned out my dad's shop and this came home with me.
20200206_194401.jpg
20200206_194347.jpg

-
Back