Guess what this is...

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
what is this brown box in the left hand corner of the fire wall?

Attachments

• 119 (Copy).JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 466
My memory ain't what it usta be, but if it's on a 74, I'm thinkin it was part of the seatbelt / starter interlock deal.

I have to guess seatbelt interlock relay also.
73 had kox valves mounted in that general area. They also had an electric choke assist.
With all the odd things that came along with emissions regulations in those years, anyones guess.

If you think its causing you "no-start" issues I would go with what A38valiant and Redfish said, seatbelt interlock

Looks like an aftermarket add on part to me. Wiring isn't anything like I have seen Mopar do because seperate wires appear not to be in the harness. This is a 74 B Body seatbelt interlock harness and relay pictured below. I would think the a body would be similar.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!i0E7F94fVU8BO96g3bh5g~~60_58.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 395
  • $(KGrHqR,!p0E63ZpIkyZBO96gv,Hh!~~60_58.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 358
Definately not aftermarket ( it actually has the Pentastar and part #). I have it in my Duster. The Duster is a 72, however the harness is from a 74. No seatbelts hooked up and starts fine. Don't believe it's a seatbelt thing. Could be wrong but mine starts fine without seatbelts hooked up.

Definately not aftermarket ( it actually has the Pentastar and part #). I have it in my Duster. The Duster is a 72, however the harness is from a 74. No seatbelts hooked up and starts fine. Don't believe it's a seatbelt thing. Could be wrong but mine starts fine without seatbelts hooked up.

Do you have the part number? With that and a little research maybe we can find out what it is.

Definitely factory, just can't remember specific application and purpose. I have definitely owned A-bodies with this part in the past, but we're talking 20 or more years ago. Current fleet includes 2 71s, 2 73s, a 75, and 3 76s. None have it. Therefore my thinking it's a 74 only deal, and thinkin it was part of the seatbelt interlock deal that never worked well and was discontinued. And probably a good number of 74s have been retrofitted to eliminate this little gem.

this is the seat belt thing that i've always seen.

IMG00080.jpg

here is a google picture.. maybe it is factory. no idea what its for though.. check out the service manual.. maybe that will tell ya.

1974_Plymouth_Duster_Twister_Slant_6_For_Sale_Engine_1.jpg

here is a google picture.. maybe it is factory. no idea what its for though.. check out the service manual.. maybe that will tell ya.

1974_Plymouth_Duster_Twister_Slant_6_For_Sale_Engine_1.jpg

That one is flipped over from and sitting down to the seam when compared the one in the first picture. Wonder if that is some dealer installed item? When I first saw it I thought about radio noise suppressor or something used to cure a problem.

it may be something to do with emissions. i , myself, have never seen one of those and my 73 doesnt have anything like that and it came with a /6

My friends 74 Challenger has the same part in about the same location. We've been trying figure out what its for too. He has purchased a new wiring harness for the year and month, but no cable for that module. I hope someone can help.

EGR time delay module.
The seat belt interlock system introduced in 1973 or 74 isn't related and is on the left side as Abodyjoe is indicating.

EGR time delay module.
The seat belt interlock system introduce in 1973 or 74 isn't related and is on the left side as Abodyjoe is indicating.
You sir, are correct. I wuz wrong. Did some digging today....

Attachments

• 74CAS.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 261
Right there below the charcoal can in that pic. Here's more.....

Attachments

• 74EGRTimer.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 74EGRTimeWire.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 234
Knew I had owned cars with 'em, and it was drivin ME as nuts as the OP not knowin what it was.

-
Back