Guitar???

-

2shelbys

Reaction score
How many guitar players do we have out there? Who are your favorite players and what kind of stuff do you like to play? What equipment to you have in your arsenal?

There are so many great players it is tough for me to pick a favorite but the top candidates are Steve Howe of Yes, Al DiMeola, Steve Morse, John Petrucci of Dream Theater, Alex Lifeson, Carl Verheyen, Manuel Barrueco, Jeff Beck, Paco De Lucia, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and going back to the early days, Jimmy Page, Ted Nugent, Pat Travers, and Frank Marino.

I have spent the majority of the last couple of years learning Steve Howe's travis-picked solo acoustic stuff but recently began re-aquainting myself with electric, working out and re-learning some of my old favorite Yes and Rush songs.

I have a '78 Les Paul Custom, an '86 Vintage Series '62 Strat (the nicest Fender I ever played), a Martin 000CX-1E, a '57 Silvertone/Danelectro U2, a '79 Yamaha FG-512 12 string, and a Yamaha CG-130SA classical. I recently sold my Carvin DT-650 doubleneck and my almost dead mint 1973 Marshall MKII Super Lead 100W/1982B cabinet half stack. I have a Carvin XV-212 100W and a ton of vintage pedals including a few of the classic Morley pedals and the Roland GK-1/GM-70 guitar synth driver and an Oberheim Matrix-6R synth.

Unfortunately, cars are not my only expensive hobby but if you can play an instrument you never have an excuse to be bored.

fender american standard strat with maple neck/ i took out the single coil pups and put in seymour duncan pearly gates in both the bridge and neck/ also have a kramer striker with pearly gates/ boss bcb60 board with blues driver/ds2 distortion / boss chorus/boss compressor /boss tuner pedal/dd3 digital delay and a dunlop wah wah

favorite players billy gibbons/eric clapton/bb king /albert king/stevie ray/jimi hendrix/george lynch/ted nugent rory gallagher and any body that plays the blues/ also i am a big great white fan mark kendall amazing player!

i just got back into playing last year been on a 20 year break!

i am on my third year in iraq so i have plenty of time to play now!

There are too many great guitarists to choose from!!!!:toothy10: Let's see.... Hendrix, SRV, Buddy Guy...shoot, this is tough...um...I just recently started listening to Wes Montgomery and George Van Eps. Django Rheinhardt...all three Kings. Ok, onto the fun stuff!
I currently have a 2000 MIM standard Strat that I modded with a Seymour Duncan vintage single coil in the neck, lace sensor hot gold in the middle, and Dimarzio superdistortion at the bridge. I also have a 2004 american deluxe strat with suhr single coils in all three positions. I just picked up a few weeks ago a circa 1990 Guild Starfire4. I have a '69 possibly a '68 silverface bassman head with a 4x12 cab (which I want to get rid of if you're interested :evil2:) and '65 deluxe reverb reissue and a small 10 watt peavey practice amp. Oh yeah, I just bought a tweed princeton amp kit from Weber. It should arrive in a few weeks. At that point we will see just how good my soldering skills are...I recently sold a '57 twin reissue in order to get the deluxe reverb. I have various pedals...um...a vox wah, marshall bluesbreaker II, and a couple fuzz face clones I built. I think that's it at the moment.
I like playing rock and blues of course. I have just recently become obsessed with jazz so I'm starting to learn and play jazz also. I totally agree that guitars/amps/accessories cost way too much and should be free to the guitarists like us that are obsessed!!!!:-D

The guys from Yes and Rush were my favorites.........

That's the stuff we used to play in Central NY.......Progressive theatrical for the most part......had a good time and made a few bucks.....

I played my SG mostly, but had a 12 string Gibson 335 for the Genesis set, and played a Strat for a few songs........Single pick-up Melody Maker for Skynard and such when we did Southern.

Right now I play a Dean Icon w/DiMarzio's..........Nice sound, and a Boss effects array...digital chorus, delay, Fender 65 Reverb, and compression.

What I really want is a decent Fender Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb (even an old Princeton reverb) to restore..........If you guys have any deals out there, give me a shout.

8)

I was sitting around strumming mine last night wishing I knew how to play the damn thing!

I'm 38 yrs old so I guess I will never know ... guitar is something you need to pick up early right?
I used to play with a friend of mine back in 03 but we was both drunk and it all sounded good. He was better than I was that's for sure. Since I quit drinking it made my playing sound like awful!

its never too late if you really want to learn get some scale books learn your scales chords have someone show you how to read tab and you will be on your way here is a link for free tab just put in the song you want to learn or band good luck http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

I was sitting around strumming mine last night wishing I knew how to play the damn thing!

I'm 38 yrs old so I guess I will never know ... guitar is something you need to pick up early right?
I used to play with a friend of mine back in 03 but we was both drunk and it all sounded good. He was better than I was that's for sure. Since I quit drinking it made my playing sound like awful!

Like the line in Joe's Garage by Zappa:
We didn't have no dope or LSD
Just a coupla quarts of beer
Would make it so the intonation was pleasing to the ear

Don't say that. I have a friend that just started taking lessons at age 52! If you love music and really WANT to play, it's never too late to start. I started playing Bass when I was 13 and I have rehearsal tonight at age 50. The only way I'll stop is if some unforseen illness causing me not to be ABLE to play.

Then I'll kill myself.... :-D

Don't say that. I have a friend that just started taking lessons at age 52! If you love music and really WANT to play, it's never too late to start. I started playing Bass when I was 13 and I have rehearsal tonight at age 50. The only way I'll stop is if some unforseen illness causing me not to be ABLE to play.

Yeah Fastback...........You can do yourself in with your "axe".

(I apologize for that right there, and God Bless the pigmies in Africa.....)

My Favorites Billy Gibbons,Jimi Hendrix,Jimmy Page,Clapton,Stevie Ray,BB King and way back Chuck Berry.I don't know how to play but wish I could.
Jim

I have a few laying around.

IM000720.jpg

IM000722.jpg

IM000501.jpg

I just kinda fart around, i have a buddy that used to be in a band. he plays guitar, so he teaches me rhythm chords, so while i'm doin that he's playing the leads. its fun. my 15 year old also plays guitar, so we have a flying v Slayer, Kerry King ( i think that's his name?) guitar. my boy is REALLY good. he plays metallica, Slayer,etc..... I'm into Ace Frehley-Kiss, Billy Gibbons-ZZtop , Judas Priest, Tesla, 80's hair bands, stuff like that.

Here are my two main guitars and my beloved Marshall which I recently sold:

music.jpg

fender american standard strat with maple neck/ i took out the single coil pups and put in seymour duncan pearly gates in both the bridge and neck/ also have a kramer striker with pearly gates/ boss bcb60 board with blues driver/ds2 distortion / boss chorus/boss compressor /boss tuner pedal/dd3 digital delay and a dunlop wah wah

favorite players billy gibbons/eric clapton/bb king /albert king/stevie ray/jimi hendrix/george lynch/ted nugent rory gallagher and any body that plays the blues/ also i am a big great white fan mark kendall amazing player!

Thanks for your service to our country. It is great that you get to play while you are over there. No reason to be bored during the lulls.

I started playing bass when I was 12. I still have my first bass, a red Fender Bullet, and have added a sunburst Fender Precision and a black Fender Jazz. I also have a Galveston acoustic guitar that I mess around with.

John, how about Chris Squire doing Roundabout? To me thats just a classic. You NEVER hear harmonics even close to that anymore.

The guys from Yes and Rush were my favorites.........

That's the stuff we used to play in Central NY.......Progressive theatrical for the most part......had a good time and made a few bucks.....

I played my SG mostly, but had a 12 string Gibson 335 for the Genesis set, and played a Strat for a few songs........Single pick-up Melody Maker for Skynard and such when we did Southern.

Right now I play a Dean Icon w/DiMarzio's..........Nice sound, and a Boss effects array...digital chorus, delay, Fender 65 Reverb, and compression.

What I really want is a decent Fender Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb (even an old Princeton reverb) to restore..........If you guys have any deals out there, give me a shout.

8)
Sounds like we have the same background. Yes, Rush, pre-1980s Genesis, some Kansas, etc.

Guitar can be started at any age. Go for it.

Ah yes. Frank Zappa. One of the most under-rated guitarists of all time. I saw him a bunch of times.

I started playing bass when I was 12. I still have my first bass, a red Fender Bullet, and have added a sunburst Fender Precision and a black Fender Jazz. I also have a Galveston acoustic guitar that I mess around with.

John, how about Chris Squire doing Roundabout? To me thats just a classic. You NEVER hear harmonics even close to that anymore.
Maybe it is my love of Rush and Yes but I have always loved the sound of a Rickenbacker bass.

If you like blues-oriented guys check this out. I just love the way Carl plays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFw0WG1yFlY

I think you just get "branded" when you start out. I like the sound of Rickenbacker's and even old Kay's when Ive gotten to play them. Geddy Lee is another phenomenal bass player.

its never too late if you really want to learn get some scale books learn your scales chords have someone show you how to read tab and you will be on your way here is a link for free tab just put in the song you want to learn or band good luck http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

I've never seen tabs before. I need to learn how to read tabs huh?

hey thanks for the video 2shelbys that guy is good/ mullinax yea tablature is a simple system all numbers easy as pie once you get started some books have the explinations in the back but most anybody who plays can help you get going as i would bet they have seen it and know how to use it most music books nowdays have both tab and regular notation as well

I've never seen tabs before. I need to learn how to read tabs huh?
I think it was a great advantage growing up and learning to play before there was such a thing as tablature because I had to develop my ear and learn to read standard notation but man is it great for learning stuff. Instead of a standard staff and notes, the lines are the strings on the guitar and there are numbers that tell you which frets to play. A great invention.

I think it was a great advantage growing up and learning to play before there was such a thing as tablature because I had to develop my ear and learn to read standard notation but man is it great for learning stuff. Instead of a standard staff and notes, the lines are the strings on the guitar and there are numbers that tell you which frets to play. A great invention.

Wow .. I'll have to look deeper into this now.

-
Back