Gun purchasing advice (Seriously)

-
Within the confines of a home your shot pattern doesn't have time to "open up" so a charge of steel T packs a good punch while limiting potential for overpenetration. A 9mm can sail through a lot if drywall , and 000 buck carries 9 33 caliber balls btw thats almost a 9mm. So one squeeze off a shotgun loaded w buck will focus 9 large pellets in a very tight spot.. not good in a drywall modern construction home. If you look at a "safety slug" or glazer they have very fine pellet payload bonded in a frangible projectile.
The best part of shooting 2&3/4 shells with fine loads is they're cheap, easy on the shoulder and allow a real fast follow up.

Ok my two cents worth.
If you are not trained get the training no big deal we all started out not knowing. As far as what gun try them and see what you feel comfortable with, like some else has said go to a gun shop pick up and handle as many gus as you want, then after you find several you really fill comfortable with then go and shoot them. you will find that some will shoot / feel better then the others.
For home protection I have several guns, But if I had to pick one for home protection and to carry ( Which I do ) I like the Judge shoots 410 shells along with 45's so you have a quit abit or shoot going out the barrel then a good slug as a follow up.
Personnel opion I don't like 9mm's I perfer the stopping power of a 45.

One thing to think about is where the bullet will go if you miss (or it travels through soft tissue), in a home defense situation.

A .223 from an AR or the like, will blaze through sheet rock. The last thing you want is to kill the home intruder only to be arrested because one of your stray bullets killed the old lady across the street or next door. Or worst of all, one of your own kids in the bedroom down the hall.

This is why I have a 12 gauge.

I did read an interesting story about home defense guns once that highly recommended an M1 carbin. Enough stopping power with reduced risk of unexpected bullet travel. I want one of these just because they look cool and would be fun to shoot.

First thing, check your local and state laws. A lot of advice has been given already that may or may not apply to you depending where you live.

My vote is a 12 ga. for the house AND a revolver for carry, and get a carry permit if you can.

Oh, one more thing, The must-have acessory for home defense firearms is the most kick-*** flashlight you can afford.

The light on my Winchester pump serves two purposes: 1) to make certain of who my target is before I even consider shooting (blind fire is NOT cool) and 2) to temporarily blind my target giving me a few precious seconds giving me the advantage.

There are tac lights that will mount well to most any firearm, only the good ones are expensive, do not cheap-out. The life you save might be your daughter's boyfriend paying a late night visit. -LY

Now I have a SD9 Smith and Wesson. Its a self Defence gun. Its 22oz so it works great as home defence gun. Its also light enough to care on your person.

12 ga. pump 7 round short barrel and a Colt 357 Python revolver.
Cheaper to shoot the 38's specials and then use 357 mag hollow points for serious stopping power.

I "heard" this is a good combination. :)

You might want to get two of whatever you choose. One should be legally acquired and registered so that if you use it in self defense you won't get in trouble. The other one should be acquired anonymously and not registered so you will still have one after the government takes the other one.

It happened in Austrailia:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyb3gBaqlwk"]Australia Protests Gun Ban - YouTube[/ame]

For personal carry, I prefer the Colt Combat Commander in .45 cal (or any other .45 ACP for that matter. Secondarily, I like the Colt Detective Special in .38 Special.

I like the .30 carbine, 12 ga. shotgun, and AR-15 for home defense. Why the range of weapons? Depending on the distance involved. I have 10 big dogs that make a Hell of a racket when they hear strange noises during nighttime or daytime. A perp wouldn't dare entering beyond breaking a window. I would then plug him at a longer range on my property.

I left my 9 mm mags loaded for about a year, then went to do a little target practise. It jammed about every 2nd or 3rd round. I believe it may be spring fatigue in the mags. It's not a cheap gun. I won't give the model because its irrelevant. Of course not the best thing leaving it for a year but it taught me something regardless.

I had been keeping it as my go to home defense weapon. It will be a revolver for me now (and shotgun).

Yeah in 1976?(wasn't born yet so not sure when that gun came out) fire a .50 AE
Why stop with that wimp *** fire arm, you want a hand held cannon get a S&W 500 Magnum......Thing is absolutely evil......
Go to gun stores and grab every thing that you can get you hands on. The Glock crew will rant and rave about how great they are, just like we do about our Mopars. I, for one, HATE Glocks, that goofy *** grip angle is just strange. Had a buddy that was a diehard Glock guy, until his came apart out in the desert one day. Every firearm that I have ever been around that had feeding/cycling/jamming issues was a Glock, for what that is worth.
Anyway, find something that firstly you are comfortable with. Folks with gigantic hands often find the smaller frame revolvers/semi autos just to damn small to get a good grip on it. Have to figure out exactly how you are going to carry it as well. I tried using various different firearms with belt style holsters and just found the damn thing uncomfortable.

I left my 9 mm mags loaded for about a year, then went to do a little target practise. It jammed about every 2nd or 3rd round. I believe it may be spring fatigue in the mags. It's not a cheap gun. I won't give the model because its irrelevant. Of course not the best thing leaving it for a year but it taught me something regardless.

I had been keeping it as my go to home defense weapon. It will be a revolver for me now (and shotgun).

I believe that problem can be traced to weakened springs in the mags. I like to load my .45 mags with six rounds, but I also "give them a break" by switching out mags about every quarter. All my .45 mags are Colt and they have never failed to feed properly.

By the way, I do the same with my AR mags.

well I'm going to be the difference here for home protection and something your wife or daughter can use in a pinch when the adrenaline is pounding I say go 410 or 20g same thing really easy to handle won't knock an inexperienced shooter on their backside and will keep them on target for a second shot instead of recovering target , for the pistol I kind of agree with what every one else says with the caveat that Glock uses the same chassis for their auto's so you can start with the 22 and then change the upper to a 9mil, 40 or 45 after you are used to handling your weapon .

I believe that problem can be traced to weakened springs in the mags. I like to load my .45 mags with six rounds, but I also "give them a break" by switching out mags about every quarter. All my .45 mags are Colt and they have never failed to feed properly.

By the way, I do the same with my AR mags.

I agree. This is an important lesson to heed if you choose a semi-auto. Mine had always fed perfectly. Gave me a little knot in the stomach to think of the time I may have needed it. Not a concern with a revolver.

I like the .410 or 20 guage idea. For the inexperienced a 12 guage can be a beast.

well I'm going to be the difference here for home protection and something your wife or daughter can use in a pinch when the adrenaline is pounding I say go 410 or 20g same thing really easy to handle won't knock an inexperienced shooter on their backside and will keep them on target for a second shot instead of recovering target , for the pistol I kind of agree with what every one else says with the caveat that Glock uses the same chassis for their auto's so you can start with the 22 and then change the upper to a 9mil, 40 or 45 after you are used to handling your weapon .
Good point about the shot gun.........my wife will not pick the 12 gauge up......if your spouse or other is going to use the shot gun might want to make sure they can handle it first.

This:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-tactical-operations.aspx

View attachment P226-Tacops-detail-Hero.jpg

Or This: This is what I have handy, 1911 A1 .45ACP

View attachment 45.JPG

You need a good light, I would also suggest Crimson Trace grips with the built in laser.

You need to do a few things if you are worried about family members on the other side of the wall.

1. Don't take a shot in the direction of your family members. Maneuver yourself so your shot will go elsewhere if you miss. If that's not possible you need to make a very quick determination which is more dangerous, the possibility of you missing and injuring a family member or what will happen if you don't stop your attacker (ie will they take your gun away and do more damage to you and your family)

2. Do an analysis of your home, see if you can rearrange furniture so that large heavy items are between you and your family members. Also look at placing furniture so that it will channel your attackers into areas where it is safe for you to fire.

3. Train your family. Teach them what to do in case of an emergency. You teach them how to get out of the house in case of a fire, you teach them how to dial 911, teach them what to do in case of an intruder.

4. Get a dog. A decent dog won't let an intruder into your home without putting up a fight.

Most importantly practice, a lot. Keep your firearm clean and at the ready if needed.

The sound of chambering a shot gun round- you just revealed yourself, and lost time.Browning Hi-Power, 9mm. Learn how to leave the safety off, at half ****. 15 rounds.

I'd bet money it's ammo. I've got a Browning BDM, and it's pretty fussy. It doesn't like several hollow points, WTF good is a 9 if you can't shoot hollow points in em???

I finally "went back" to a .357 KLCR Ruger. I usually carry +P in it. I admit, it's not "pleasant" to fire, 'specially with my arthritis. But I can hit what I'm aimin' at and I figure that When That Day Comes, arthritis isn't gonna be what I'm thinkin' 'bout.

My wife just picked up a Ruger LCR 38 revolver, it's hammerless, it's light, however it only has 5 shots. She shoots +P ammo.. It's a great gun for ladies with small hands with the dependability of a revolver. Cheap NO.. Peace of mind for her Yep! What I can't figure out is how come she's such a good shot? I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of her aim.. But as almost everyone has expressed, practice, practice, and practice some more.. Me.... Mossberg with a slug barrel, backed up with a #7 shot high brass shell, with a 00 buck, and finally a slug! If I can't hit'em I'll lay down a mean flack pattern!

-
Back