gunk under intake manifold

-
Thats called "Granny's undercoating...for the motor". Junkyard is full of Chrysler 2.7 V6's full of black goo from bad PCV. Adventure is out there !
pick-up-screen.jpg

Thats called "Granny's undercoating...for the motor". Junkyard is full of Chrysler 2.7 V6's full of black goo from bad PCV. Adventure is out there !
View attachment 1715099355
the worst part of the 2.7's, is the water pump is internal to the motor. When it starts to leak, you likely would never know it. The water leak drops directly into the oil sump, mixes with oil and destroys the bearings, and rotating crank and rods. It also fouls the oil pressurized automatic chain tensioner, then the chain(s) fails or jumps time and you have 4 cams, 24 valves, 6 pistons beating each other to death. Catastrophic engine failure. I hate to admit I learned this firsthand.

the worst part of the 2.7's, is the water pump is internal to the motor. When it starts to leak, you likely would never know it. The water leak drops directly into the oil sump, mixes with oil and destroys the bearings, and rotating crank and rods. It also fouls the oil pressurized automatic chain tensioner, then the chain(s) fails or jumps time and you have 4 cams, 24 valves, 6 pistons beating each other to death. Catastrophic engine failure. I hate to admit I learned this firsthand.
wow, u would think any one designing an engine would know , do, or catch that !

wow, u would think any one designing an engine would know , do, or catch that !
You'd think they would, wouldn't you? They made millions of those engines, and a large number failed. There are a huge number of stories of failure of that engine all over the Internet. Frankly, I'm surprised there wasn't an organized public outcry, demands for a recall, or at least a class action lawsuit.
The saddest part, for me, was that that engine, when running, was amazing. It was incredibly quiet. You could not hear it running. You'd have to pop the hood, and look at the engine to know it was running. It was very powerful, and got near 30mpg in an Intrepid . I'm kinda surprised someone didn't come up with an external water pump conversion for it.

I didn't mention that because I didn't want to open yet another oil debate, but I have seen that as well on a lot of Pennzoil motors.
My Dad swore by it, but after seeing what I have three's just no way.
I even bought a Honda dresser motorcycle because I felt sorry for it when I saw a Pennzoil bottle sitting next to it when the guy said he just changed the oil.
I swapped it out for Castrol GTX before I even left with it.:D
Quaker State as well back in those days.....

For the OP: One motor I took apart that looked like that inside had an internal carb leak for years. It would leak gas into the intake when stopped, and gas would seep down past valves and rings into the crankcase and oil. That worked with the old oil to produce bad sludge like that. It also wore the cylinders pretty badly so who knows what you will have when you fire it off....

Since I bought the car it has always started, not sure how healthy it runs lol but that’s why I’m working on it. I had an issue with over heating and that lead me to water pump, then thermostat housing and found the rust inside manifold so I kept digging to see what else I can uncover. Not to happy about the gunk and stuff but it is an old engine. I’ll clean what I can with tips from you guys, hopefully get it running and not overheating and when money allows get it professionally rebuilt.

-
Back