Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Sidebar to Mildot conversation. To this day, a Mildot scope sits atop my hand built 700 in 300 Winmag Elk hunting rifle. My wife hated Mildot, she could never understand how I could hit anything with it. I tried for years to make her a convert. But that girl loves her Shepard scope. And she dropped her last Elk at 520 yards so I go with the flow. I tried to explain the similarities but she was having none of it. She puts Shepard scopes on anything she hunts with. Bottom line I still trust Mildot scopes for anything I am serious about. I shoot a lot of red dot and have begun to explore some of the modern scopes with all the ballistic tables tied to your phone or watch. But my ole timex still has hands!

Sidebar to Mildot conversation. To this day, a Mildot scope sits atop my hand built 700 in 300 Winmag Elk hunting rifle. My wife hated Mildot, she could never understand how I could hit anything with it. I tried for years to make her a convert. But that girl loves her Shepard scope. And she dropped her last Elk at 520 yards so I go with the flow. I tried to explain the similarities but she was having none of it. She puts Shepard scopes on anything she hunts with. Bottom line I still trust Mildot scopes for anything I am serious about. I shoot a lot of red dot and have begun to explore some of the modern scopes with all the ballistic tables tied to your phone or watch. But my ole timex still has hands!

Yeah... :D

20220328_182912.jpg

Much like WV64 all of my experience with Mil dot was in a thirty caliber application. Clearly I misunderstood the question. I love MilDot but again a very different application. It was invaluable at the time for ranging distance. With modern technology of today I would guess it is going the way of the 8 track. Once you understand it and can do the math instinctively it is hard to beat. Kind of like a good framing square, it offers users far more than they typically utilize. The last unknown distance sniper match I participated in, I was representing military against LEO shooters. I was rocking a Mildot and they were rocking software on their scopes tied to their iPads and watches! Times change as does technology.

It can have its place on a 5.56 AR in my opinion. Some three gun stuff will have targets out far enough that you would love having a scope over an AR and to my the mildot reticle is just a preference thing for a lot of folks. Where we mostly shoot all of our targets are 60 yards or closer so it’s not necessary for me. Right now the big trend is recon AR builds. LPVO optic with a mid length barrel. Wouldn’t be a bad set up for a SHTF rifle. Throw an offset or top mounted red dot and you are set on anything from CQB to 500 yard shots.

It can have its place on a 5.56 AR in my opinion. Some three gun stuff will have targets out far enough that you would love having a scope over an AR and to my the mildot reticle is just a preference thing for a lot of folks. Where we mostly shoot all of our targets are 60 yards or closer so it’s not necessary for me. Right now the big trend is recon AR builds. LPVO optic with a mid length barrel. Wouldn’t be a bad set up for a SHTF rifle. Throw an offset or top mounted red dot and you are set on anything from CQB to 500 yard shots.

For action bay shooting, I like my Burris 1-6 ppwer RT6 Illuminated reticle. It circles the steel targets perfectly and still has sub tensions for 200, 300, 400 yard hold overs.

View attachment 1715897770

Screenshot_20220328-193010_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly the technology on these modern scopes is simply amazing. Great example right here. Thanks 72! It does make me feel old tho! Hah!

Some of them get way too busy, I normally like just a duplex reticle and maybe a couple BDC markings, but this one is nice. I've been a fan of illuminated reticles for a while, but my others are just Leupold Firedots, which is just a dot in the center, nice for any lighting situation. I was running a Leupold RDS, but not having any etched reticle bugged me, so I went with that Burris.

Very informative thread.

I am a back burner .22 owner- Ruger single six and 10-22.

I am considering getting something in a larger caliber like 9mm.

Perhaps a single stack for possible CCP and a carbine for longer distance work, so they too could share ammo.

Anyone have or recommend on a 9mm carbine that is a good, solid performer but won't break my "couple times a year" budget.

Very informative thread.

Perhaps a single stack for possible CCP and a carbine for longer distance work, so they too could share ammo.

Anyone have or recommend on a 9mm carbine that is a good, solid performer but won't break my "couple times a year" budget.
Nothing is cheap anymore but I hear good things about the Ruger PC. There are AR15 derived ones that are more spendy. I'm an 1911 guy but for a lower cost CCW I like the S&W Shield family.

Very informative thread.

If you're happy with your Ruger, suggest the PC Carbine in 9mm. This is a more "conventional" rifle appearance with a longer barrel as opposed to something more tactical. I have a Chiappa cowboy carbine chambered in .357 that's an enjoyable pistol caliber carbine for me.

I will also say give the PC Carbine a try. I had one for years, I grabbed it when they first came out. It's a nice shooting gun, more or less a 10/22 in a larger caliber. It's a take down as well, so it'll fit in a smaller range bag or a backpack. It has iron sights on it out of the box, but I ended up putting an optic on mine.

Very informative thread.

Ruger PC is a solid recommendation. There are several in that category.

I bought a High Point 9mm carbine for $260 many years back, and I giggle when I shoot it. Cheap, fun, and accurate. Bought a few 15 round clips for it and have a blast when it gets used. The stepson bought one a few years ago in .45 with an optic sight, light and grip for $300. It's nothing fancy that's for sure. But it fit our budgets, and I'd buy one again.

Is there a top 5 list?

I would start with the application you wish to utilize the weapon for then go to a desired price point.

The usual manufacturers (CZ, Sig, Wilson Combat, Ruger and HK etc....) have items. Maybe others who come through here have personal experience with a particular model or manufacturer. Barrel length, capacity, weight, optics (or availability of optic options) come to mind.

@Sublime one ... Speaking of the Remington 700. Came across this F&S article comparing it to the Winchester Model 70 Quick read. I've tried to find a long bolt, heavy barrel model out there but it's a rare bear apparently. I still prefer .308 (I have a 30-06 gas gun for more "direct" engagement :D )

Gunfight: The Winchester Model 70 vs. The Remington 700 (msn.com)

Have you looked into Bergara rifles at all? It’s a clone of a 700 but I enjoyed shooting one more than my own 700.

Possibly but the build quality on every Taurus I’ve handled was poor and if I am trusting something with my life then I’m going to spend a little more and not have any second thoughts.
My Taurus Tracker in .44 Mag needed repair with less than 100 rounds through it.

My Taurus Tracker in .44 Mag needed repair with less than 100 rounds through it.

Im a little surprised to hear that about a revolver. My .38 special taurus revolver throws a ton of metal in your face when the hammer drops but at least it goes bang.

Im a little surprised to hear that about a revolver. My .38 special taurus revolver throws a ton of metal in your face when the hammer drops but at least it goes bang.
Something in the swing mechanism for the cylinder. I opened it one day, and it fell into my palm. Cost me $46 to fix it.

-
Back