Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
ill buy rusty the mount, and you buy him 500 rounds and we'll have him report back

OK................... :D

Then I'll have brass so I can roll my own loads and chrono them.

I am going to pick up some dies for loading them, then I can experiment. A buddy of mine has some different recipes for precision loads, provided the barrel on this rifle is capable.

He is into precision shooting, he has 2 custom muzzle loaders he shoots out to 1000 yards in competitions, lol. He is blessed to have plenty of cash to do so.

The muzzle loaders he had made were 8 grand each!

Bullet shaving when entering the barrel. A good company would fix that

bullet shavings, as in the barrel being too tight for the bullet to pass through?
that sounds like a serious QC issue

He is into precision shooting, he has 2 custom muzzle loaders he shoots out to 1000 yards in competitions, lol. He is blessed to have plenty of cash to do so.

The muzzle loaders he had made were 8 grand each!

holy cow, the only way i could afford that is if i were to use the muzzle loaders to rob banks

holy cow, the only way i could afford that is if i were to use the muzzle loaders to rob banks

LOL, yeah, he made some smart investments, but his play money comes from DJ'ing weddings and different events. He stays booked in advance sometimes 6 months out. He can easily make 4 to 5 grand in one weekend. Then he has all week to play, lol.

bullet shavings, as in the barrel being too tight for the bullet to pass through?
Not my area of expertise but if the timing is correct the bullet will enter the forcing cone without shavings.
Can begin by checking the gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone. There's an acceptable range but its less than a spark plug gap, that's for sure. There will be some gas pressure that escapes there, just want it to be minimium.

Using a spent cartridge or dummy can check for how well the cylinder is locked up when the hammer is falling.

The timing itself probably best dealt with by a gunsmith. AFAIK they don't sell timing lights for this
laugh2-gif.gif

I probably will, I just hate to do it on this particular rifle, lol. There was a company in PA that was experimenting with some type of bracket to attach a scope, I thought about calling them and see what it's about. My only concern with that would be it staying perfectly in place.

I have sporterized a couple old military rifles just for fun, the stock has been modified on this one so I may as well drill and tap. I have a Swedish Mauser like this one, that won't get touched.

6.5x55

View attachment 1715898637

Does a Mauser have the adjustable rear 'leaf spring' sight? I was able to find an adaptor for a Mosin that took the place of the rear leaf spring, it had a set of screws that went into the old roll pin holes to hold it in place. I put many rounds through it with no issue. The only issue really was finding a nice Scout scope with a long enough eye relief.

Not my pic, but I believe this is the same mount.

23389682-83b4-4843-b538-35b89e81245a_1.75af17f0788800d2cc25cf580dc04b56.jpg

Does a Mauser have the adjustable rear 'leaf spring' sight? I was able to find an adaptor for a Mosin that took the place of the rear leaf spring, it had a set of screws that went into the old roll pin holes to hold it in place. I put many rounds through it with no issue. The only issue really was finding a nice Scout scope with a long enough eye relief.

View attachment 1715898884
I'm pretty happy with the Vortex 2-7x that I found. You aren't going to find really high magnification in an EER scout scope. If that is the requirement, drilling and tapping for proper bases is in order. Unless it is a very rare variant in excellent shape, well done D&T shouldn't affect value much. The other option is to clone a period sniper rifle which typically had side mounts, but they aren't real cheap.

Yeah, those mounts above would work, but I have the same issue with finding a scope to fit the bill. I have a few here and I placed the scope in the approximate location and eye relief was the issue, I can't get the scope back far enough.

View attachment 1715898884
Check out Numerich Arms

So as I have explained in a previous post I am a moderator or admin on a closed gun bunny site. As a Marine, my scruples and morals are always in question. Given my passion for 1911s and my general disdain for all things Glock, and it was April 1………
I posted I was going to purchase a Glock and needed some direction. Holy smokes, reeled em like fish. It was to easy.
hehehehe

So as I have explained in a previous post I am a moderator or admin on a closed gun bunny site. As a Marine, my scruples and morals are always in question. Given my passion for 1911s and my general disdain for all things Glock, and it was April 1………
I posted I was going to purchase a Glock and needed some direction. Holy smokes, reeled em like fish. It was to easy.
hehehehe

Why the disdain for Glocks?

Got ya. I like my Glock a lot. Sold my 1911 years ago and I miss it a lot. They each serve a different purpose for me.

Got ya. I like my Glock a lot. Sold my 1911 years ago and I miss it a lot. They each serve a different purpose for me.
I can sure tell you this, I have watched about a zillion guys at the range with Glocks and rarely, and I mean rarely do they have any malfunction of any kind. They just run, day in day out, don’t care what you feed em, clean or dirty, they just run.

Everyone's body is different, I get it...S+W and a lot of others use the 18 degree angle for the grip. When I shoot my neighbors G19 I have issues. Is the 22 degree angle to blame? Or is it me?

I can sure tell you this, I have watched about a zillion guys at the range with Glocks and rarely, and I mean rarely do they have any malfunction of any kind. They just run, day in day out, don’t care what you feed em, clean or dirty, they just run.

I shoot my M&P much much more than my Glock but I can honestly say I don’t remember ever having a malfunction with it either. My 1911 was a Ruger SR1911, it’s been years since I sold that gun so I can’t recall it’s reliability.

Everyone's body is different, I get it...S+W and a lot of others use the 18 degree angle for the grip. When I shoot my neighbors G19 I have issues. Is the 22 degree angle to blame? Or is it me?
Bore axis to grip is a thing! Or muscle memory is, not sure which. As you point out there is a bit of difference (degree wise) in the two platforms. Really I just think it is which one you have trained the most with. For me the Glock just does not and will not point. But it will darn sure go off!

Yeah, those mounts above would work, but I have the same issue with finding a scope to fit the bill. I have a few here and I placed the scope in the approximate location and eye relief was the issue, I can't get the scope back far enough.

Can use a pistol scope. It is designed to be at a distance. I have one on a Mouser that was converted to 45ACP and is suppressed also.

Always time for Gun ****. Delayed flight. Checking in from ATL...
Hit the Chick fillet, put a couple three chicken biscuits in your back pack and it reeks out the whole cabin! The way they pack them in foil they stay warm a long time. Lord knows they don’t serve food anymore on the plane. Chicken biscuit will save the day an hour into the flight when you are starving!

So today I need to work out some new loads I am experimenting with in a 38-55. The snow is just about gone so we are transitioning to outdoor shooting. I am the current long range rifle Champion in the Buckhorn challenge up here. It is one of my favorite matches. The match is different every month but basically targets from 50 yards to 475 yards all shots taken from standing position, unsupported, equipment must be circa 1890 or older, cowboy cartridges only and no peep sights no leaf’s no tang elevation or ladder sights, even tho they are period correct. We developed the side match as a result of the domination of the sharps Creedmoor in long distance. May have been created late in the evening around a campfire, one dark night as the “aiming fluid” was being passed round in a mason jar. At 400 yards you point your lever action to the sky absolutely no reference to the target and pull the trigger, have a cup of coffee maybe a dough nut then you hear the ping on steel! Hah! Keep in mind all ammo used is right around 900fps takes awhile to go 400 yards. Must be Buck horn sights only. It is a hoot.

-
Back