Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
I went to pick up a car from a friend who is getting rid of everything, that went well. While I was there, he mentioned he was bringing two of his five dogs to a shelter, can't bring the with as he moves. After loading up all the parts, I decided to take the dogs from him. The German is eight months old, and pretty mellow for his age. The other Shepard (can't remember the breed) is a year and a half, and he is really mellow. I just couldn't have them going to a shelter, and being split up, so now I have two dogs, less than a week after telling coworkers I'm not ready for a dog yet. Oh well, now I have to do all the cleaning I've been putting off! We will be in the truck for the better part of three days as I trek from Idaho to Illinois, then back to Minnesota.

PXL_20220402_204210457.jpg

I went to pick up a car from a friend who is getting rid of everything, that went well. While I was there, he mentioned he was bringing two of his five dogs to a shelter, can't bring the with as he moves. After loading up all the parts, I decided to take the dogs from him. The German is eight months old, and pretty mellow for his age. The other Shepard (can't remember the breed) is a year and a half, and he is really mellow. I just couldn't have them going to a shelter, and being split up, so now I have two dogs, less than a week after telling coworkers I'm not ready for a dog yet. Oh well, now I have to do all the cleaning I've been putting off! We will be in the truck for the better part of three days as I trek from Idaho to Illinois, then back to Minnesota.

View attachment 1715900323
Dude, That's Killer Man!

What a Motley looking crew.

You are my new hero! Your post and pix of the rescued crew just made my whole day. Good on ya! Good luck on your journey!

Just something that sits around. I've lost interest in most things I have....
hk mp5k shield 3.jpg

My wife and I have been rescuing Siberians for 35 years. We've had a constant, but ever changing pack. We've had as many as four....and when we get to one [twice now], the dog will die of loneliness. So, 2 is the magic/minimum number. We we are ready to adopt another, I generally try to rescue older dogs. We've had to give up a bunch of our life to do this....but that's the path I chose many years ago.
Here's the first 3, the large group, and our newest girl. The members have over-lapped, and we've normally had 3. Getting old ourselves, we're trying to time our departure, with theirs at a close time proximity. They've been wonderful companions and a real handful, at times. We/they have been fortunate, as they've lived very long lives [16-18 years], except 2 we lost at 12. These are our Fuzzy-Kids. Lucy, Budlee, Haley, Jake, Sonya, Trinny, Sara, and Mishka.

Lucy-Budley-Haley.jpg
Picture 079 (Small).jpg
Mishka potrait.jpg

My wife and I have been rescuing Siberians for 35 years. We've had a constant, but ever changing pack. We've had as many as four....and when we get to one [twice now], the dog will die of loneliness. So, 2 is the magic/minimum number. We we are ready to adopt another, I generally try to rescue older dogs. We've had to give up a bunch of our life to do this....but that's the path I chose many years ago.
Here's the first 3, the large group, and our newest girl. The members have over-lapped, and we've normally had 3. Getting old ourselves, we're trying to time our departure, with theirs at a close time proximity. They've been wonderful companions and a real handful, at times. We/they have been fortunate, as they've lived very long lives [16-18 years], except 2 we lost at 12. These are our Fuzzy-Kids. Lucy, Budlee, Haley, Jake, Sonya, Trinny, Sara, and Mishka.

View attachment 1715900437 View attachment 1715900438 View attachment 1715900439
I used to volunteer at the Iditarod and they are amazing dogs. I learned a bunch working up there about the breed. And I had no idea the hybrids they create for longer stride and heat dissipation. The pulling dogs just want to pull!

So I have been wringing out a “new to me” 38-55 lever gun, I will run it in long distance rifle matches this up coming summer. It was shooting hard right so first thing to do was verify sight alignment. I realize everybody has their own method and there is really no wrong way to do it provided you are accurate. Me being a DIY guy I simply tie a piece of dental floss to front site post then pull it tight past hammer. If she is centered all good, if not give it a little bump with brass punch. I have been experimenting with Unique powder, as I have a bit of surplus. There is not a lot of recipes out there for Old cowboy cartridges using modern powder, some but not a lot. The target shown has everything from 25 yards to 100 yards all buck horn sights. This target is the culmination of many experimental loads. In the end what worked best in this rifle, was Just under 10 grains of Unique pushing a 260 grn FP. I cannot tell you how long it took to get here! Hah! Do not replicate this load in your firearm, you must develop your load for your Firearm.

D9EE4E3B-700C-4A97-AD27-ECB71C1B1BDA.jpeg

DBFDC360-A0AC-4C57-9AB7-EF0FE2683C13.jpeg

7271A428-0D2B-453E-95AB-7E57685BA0B3.jpeg

72C7BF52-2BBC-4957-91CF-6338A9ACC8FA.jpeg

This target is the culmination of many experimental loads. In the end what worked best in this rifle, was Just under 10 grains of Unique pushing a 260 grn FP.

Wow, just 10 grains? Not criticizing, just surprised, lol. What is that a Marlin?

Wow, just 10 grains? Not criticizing, just surprised, lol. What is that a Marlin?
Winchester, in essence it really almost a 44mag recipe oddly enough. For comparison sake in 45-70 I run just under 15 grains of Unique. For those not familiar with the 38-55 here is a pix next to a 9mm casing for comparison.

DD6F5A0C-7649-482A-B382-03B10AC7AE66.jpeg

Why not 357 max?
So I compete in what is called the Buckhorn Challenge, it is a side match in Cowboy Action shooting. Yours truly is last years Champion. The caliber must be period correct, thus the 38-55. I won last year with a 38 but now I got a big ole X on my back so figured I better up my game a bit! I am at a severe ballistic disadvantage shooting plain 38s against the big boys. And make no mistake they will be gunning for me this upcoming season. No quarter given. Short answer 357 Max did not exist in 1870s!

Not to change the subject but I just came across the Kimber mako. Who here can guess what gun this looks like?

84C5781F-0D1D-4279-9D19-BE5F4C4AAC59.jpeg

Good looking fellers, three days in a truck will be a good bonding experience.

-
Back