Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
I think giving them a good flick of the finger would help before putting them in the bread sack too. Haven't seen to many lately. Used to get them by the buckets after a forest fire but man that kind of dangerous these days. People follow those fires and get real territorial about it.
I always shake them and kind of gently rough them up directly over the location I harvest them before putting them in the sack. Kind of same principle as the netting. And you are super accurate on the turfy thing. Holy smokes it is almost as bad as ginseng hunting. And if you are on BLM land small protected pot patches are a thing.

I always shake them and kind of gently rough them up directly over the location I harvest them before putting them in the sack. Kind of same principle as the netting. And you are super accurate on the turfy thing. Holy smokes it is almost as bad as ginseng hunting. And if you are on BLM land small protected pot patches are a thing.

I have a really good shaggy mane patch. Not nearly coveted as the Morel but still fun to pick and eat. Sure wish I could post pics. Pretty hard to be part of the conversation. Bought 20 dollars worth of raffle tickets for a Kimber 9mm yesterday. I kinda REALLY want that.

Last edited:
Turkey hunting is a blast, don’t forget the empty bread sack in your pack for when you find a patch of morels! I would always get side tracked into hunting mushrooms. I have more unfilled turkey tags than filled. That is just one Wiley bird.

Ive been very lucky and have filled my tag every year for a while. I never had much success looking for mushrooms but if I’m not on a bird I’m usually napping.

This was last years bird. I must have cropped the picture at some point and not saved the original.

49A9AC35-797E-4AE2-A473-E503542823D0.jpeg

Only when they stop acting like coyotes. They help keep the rabbit and prairie dog population down. Last ones I shot had packed up to 12 and had an old horse of ours cornered.

They also keep the neighbors baby pygmy goat population down. What was your preferred caliber/round? I do have Hornady Superformance 58 gr. for my 243 Savage. Next smallest I have is kinda big, Sig Sauer 80 gr. but I would not be worried about pelt damage.

Ive been very lucky and have filled my tag every year for a while. I never had much success looking for mushrooms but if I’m not on a bird I’m usually napping.
Are those turkeys good eating? I have not had the chance to eat them. Sure had a lot of chances to run them over with my vehicle.

for all you "religious" folks, i thought this was cool
i was thumbing through the bulletin at church and found out we are hosting a CPL class there
i wonder what we are planning on doing for the live ammo part of it

Anyone on here shoot coyotes?

they come withing several hundred yards of the house (i catch them on my trail cam from time to time) but i havent felt the need to put one down

for all you "religious" folks, i thought this was cool
i was thumbing through the bulletin at church and found out we are hosting a CPL class there
i wonder what we are planning on doing for the live ammo part of it

they come withing several hundred yards of the house (i catch them on my trail cam from time to time) but i havent felt the need to put one down
I hunt on ranches. They are happy for us to shoot them. I suck at running targets.

Are those turkeys good eating? I have not had the chance to eat them. Sure had a lot of chances to run them over with my vehicle.
Man, they are good! I've taken a giant pot, full of Boiling water, tied em to a stick by the feet, and dunked em fer a Lil. The quills come right out... you can even get some of the lil ones embedded in the skin out

When I’m deer hunting and see a coyote, it turns into a coyote hunt. I’ve shot a few-one with a .308 and one with my bow. Caliber doesn’t really matter unless you’re trying to save the hide.

They are different and much more difficult to prepare. Normally I will grill mind after bringing them for 24 hours. This year I will be smoking them. Oh, and 99% of folks just breast them out. They aren’t nearly as big as farm birds.

This place is just down the road from me. Started seeing some cleanup around the firing points a week ago and guess this is why. I'm not sure if they plan on staying open routinely or if this is a "one and done". It has not been operating as a range since I moved in 8 months ago...and probably well before that.

April 22-24, 2022 Lost River Machine Gun Shoot

They also keep the neighbors baby pygmy goat population down. What was your preferred caliber/round? I do have Hornady Superformance 58 gr. for my 243 Savage. Next smallest I have is kinda big, Sig Sauer 80 gr. but I would not be worried about pelt damage.
I used a 7.62x39 out of my Mini-30.

I pop yote's any chance I get. Usually while deer hunting. They are terrible animals in some ways. Our ranchers hate them. Used every caliber available while they run their asses off.
Not had a chance to specifically yote hunt. The locals used to have trucks they would chase through fields after the dogs. Seen a few of the trucks but since the bounty isn't very big the yote chasing days have disappeared.
I know one fella that chases yotes every day. Man is that ford truck beat to death.

I pop yote's any chance I get. Usually while deer hunting. They are terrible animals in some ways. Our ranchers hate them. Used every caliber available while they run their asses off.
Not had a chance to specifically yote hunt. The locals used to have trucks they would chase through fields after the dogs. Seen a few of the trucks but since the bounty isn't very big the yote chasing days have disappeared.
I know one fella that chases yotes every day. Man is that ford truck beat to death.

We used to hunt them over our deer carcasses. A buddy and I processed deer for a lot folks every year when we were in high school so we had a ton of carcasses. We would pile them up in the field and hunt the coyotes over them. Killed exactly zero coyotes. If you aren’t in a good spot and calling them it’s extremely difficult. You either need to hunt them at night with Nods or thermal or hunt during the day.

-
Back