Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Im a little surprised to hear that about a revolver. My .38 special taurus revolver throws a ton of metal in your face when the hammer drops but at least it goes bang.
you sure you're pointing it the right direction?
the metal is supposed to move away from you when fired

@Sublime one ... Speaking of the Remington 700. Came across this F&S article comparing it to the Winchester Model 70 Quick read. I've tried to find a long bolt, heavy barrel model out there but it's a rare bear apparently. I still prefer .308 (I have a 30-06 gas gun for more "direct" engagement :D )

Gunfight: The Winchester Model 70 vs. The Remington 700 (msn.com)
Ok that was a fun read. I hadn’t thought about a cup of Sanka well since maybe ovaltine. My Bias is always going to be to the 700 for absolutely no other reason than the time I have spent behind one. In fact I will admit the 70 has prettier lines and who doesn’t like a Mauser 98! I have one old pre 64 in 30-06 that will still clover leaf at 100 yards. I want to say it was made in 51, right on the edge of the dark years. But my all business rifles are still 700s.

Like my Mausers, one of the best actions IMO. I have an Argentine Mauser in 30.06 and would like to put a scope on it. My dilemma is I don't want to drill and tap.

Like my Mausers, one of the best actions IMO. I have an Argentine Mauser in 30.06 and would like to put a scope on it. My dilemma is I don't want to drill and tap.
Drill it, tap it, and use it! But…… keep in mind, this is coming from a guy that put a toggle switch dash a roll bar and fiberglass nose on a Cuda!

Drill it, tap it, and use it!

I probably will, I just hate to do it on this particular rifle, lol. There was a company in PA that was experimenting with some type of bracket to attach a scope, I thought about calling them and see what it's about. My only concern with that would be it staying perfectly in place.

I have sporterized a couple old military rifles just for fun, the stock has been modified on this one so I may as well drill and tap. I have a Swedish Mauser like this one, that won't get touched.

6.5x55

wm_8119992.jpg

simple, buy another one, and drill and tap that one for a scope

I probably will, I just hate to do it on this particular rifle, lol. There was a company in PA that was experimenting with some type of bracket to attach a scope, I thought about calling them and see what it's about. My only concern with that would be it staying perfectly in place.

I have sporterized a couple old military rifles just for fun, the stock has been modified on this one so I may as well drill and tap. I have a Swedish Mauser like this one, that won't get touched.

6.5x55

View attachment 1715898637
That is gorgeous

My Taurus Tracker in .44 Mag needed repair with less than 100 rounds through it.

My uncle bought a .454 'raging bull'. The chambers in the cylinder were ground with a reverse taper, and the machining was so bad it looked threaded. He fired 6 rounds, and every piece of brass remained permanently wedged into the cylinder for years. I think he traded it for an air compressor.
I was a kid, but wanted to shoot that thing - no amount of hammering on the ejector would dislodge those cases, so it just sat on the tailgate whenever we were shooting. Used it as a warning about Taurus to every guest we brought with us, or happened to meet while out shooting.

My old Bulldog Pug in .44 Special. That's a 200 gr. Silvertip. What a sweet shooter and fits my hand nice.
pug.JPG

Man I have not seen a Charter Arms rig in many moons. I had one of those and traded it away, one of those wish I had kept it pieces.
Every time I've gotten rid of a firearm, I regretted it. So I quit. lol
I think about the LC9, first gen. I hate that thing. Me and Sportsman's Warehouse ended our relationship after that purchase.

6.5x55

View attachment 1715898637
There are several companies that have made scope mounts that replace the rear sight on various rifles and take a scout type intermediate eye relief scope. No holes in the receiver. I've made several including for my 1881 Swiss Vetterli centerfire conversion. A small red dot like the TR25 is easier to mount than a scope if you don't need magnification.

My worst regret, selling my granddad's service revolver. $80 bucks he paid a long time ago.

He was a Constable in Dauphin County PA and adopted me. He answered to an Alderman. I kept his handcuffs and the box. Another relative snagged his blackjack.
detective.JPG

Every time I've gotten rid of a firearm, I regretted it. So I quit. lol
I think about the LC9, first gen. I hate that thing. Me and Sportsman's Warehouse ended our relationship after that purchase.

Good plan. Had an old fellow tell me to never sell a firearm. Words to live by

There are several companies that have made scope mounts that replace the rear sight on various rifles and take a scout type intermediate eye relief scope. No holes in the receiver. I've made several including for my 1881 Swiss Vetterli centerfire conversion. A small red dot like the TR25 is easier to mount than a scope if you don't need magnification.

That is what I did on my AK. You simply drive out the rollpin that keeps the rear blade on and replace it with the mount.
There is a bolt on that goes through where the rollpin used to be and then there are three set screws to level and secure it

it may not be large enough for a scope, but it was definitely large enough for a red dot (and the may make longer ones)

View attachment 1715898754

20220330_210008.jpg

Last edited:
That is what I did on my AK. You simply drive out the rollpin that keeps the rear blade on and replace it with the mount.
There is a bolt on that goes through where the rollpin used to be and then there are three set screws to level and secure it

it may not be large enough for a scope, but it was definitely large enough for a red dot (and the may make longer ones)

View attachment 1715898754
Who makes that? I might want to get one after I put some rounds through mine.

I have looked at those, I'm not 100% sure it would bring my scope back far enough. I will be mounting a scope for distance, not a dot site.

-
Back